By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Gen VIII - Hopes and Expectations

Gyms, Modern Graphics (like, at least be comparable to Ni No Kuni 1 on PS3), a somewhat decent and interesting story, and a full camera system. That's all it would take to impress me for Gen 8.

Like, indie studios are making better looking games that a multi million, if not billion company like Gamefreak. I don't think it's too much to ask for a game that doesn't look like a HD 3DS game.

Around the Network

I'm pretty easy-going with these games, so I'm not too concernicus...I don't expect a challenge, but as long as the maps look nice and the game doesn't feel like a slog, I'll be more than happy. Something like Sun/Moon but with less linearity, and something to expedite combat. As much as I disliked the story in Bravely Default, that game absolutely nailed combat options. 4x speed with autobattle makes grinding a cheesecake. Is that an expression? Well it is now.

Otherwise, give me a nice meaty post-game, which I know is more the exception than the rule now, and have the alternate gender character appear in the game like May and Serena. If not that, give me Lillie again. She was an amazing cinnamon roll and we're not worthy to live on the same planet as her but sometimes we're lucky enough to do it anyway.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:

I'm pretty easy-going with these games, so I'm not too concernicus...I don't expect a challenge, but as long as the maps look nice and the game doesn't feel like a slog, I'll be more than happy. Something like Sun/Moon but with less linearity, and something to expedite combat. As much as I disliked the story in Bravely Default, that game absolutely nailed combat options. 4x speed with autobattle makes grinding a cheesecake. Is that an expression? Well it is now.

Otherwise, give me a nice meaty post-game, which I know is more the exception than the rule now, and have the alternate gender character appear in the game like May and Serena. If not that, give me Lillie again. She was an amazing cinnamon roll and we're not worthy to live on the same planet as her but sometimes we're lucky enough to do it anyway.

Yea Lillie was a great character. While her character development is not the deepest in gaming, its nice to see her develop from a hesitant, timid girl into someone who is willing to put in the courage to take on challenges in her life, especially considering her background.

Open world aspects would be cool. But more than that, the wild pokemon appearing on screen style that Let's Go did is a must, and I'd really like a much more challenging adventure (at least as an option) because X/Y, Alpha/Omega, and Sun/Moon were too damn easy.

I had my hopes up but after seeing Lets GO! I realized that its probably just going to be another lazy Pokemon game.

Around the Network
omarct said:
I had my hopes up but after seeing Lets GO! I realized that its probably just going to be another lazy Pokemon game.

The directors( or was it the producers?) aren’t the same for the games

Hopes: Most ambitious Pokemon game ever created in the similar to how Breath of the Wild was for Zelda.
Expectations: Same old crap but with Let's Go, HD graphics.

Ever since I finished Sun and Let's Go Eevee within the last two months, it has really made me think about my view and problem with the Pokemon series as a whole and this thread really got me thinking.
While those games were great and good respectively, in the end, they were just more of the same. They really did not do much to deviate from the usual Pokemon formula. The last time the series had any significant and notable changes and ambition was Gen 2. Pokemon is Nintendo's example and embodiment of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." While there's nothing majorly wrong with that philosophy, the problem is after a while, the formula and series becomes stale, repetitive, and somewhat boring.

You know that scene from Thor: Ragnarok where Thor is talking to Loki about Growth and Change, that's how I feel about Pokemon. I look at Nintendo's other 1st party franchises, Mario and Zelda in particular, and the developers and teams behind them are constantly trying to raise the bar on themselves, trying different things with each entry in an effort to grow and evolve. Each new game, they try to set a new standard and reach new heights. Sometimes they'll fall flat like with 3D World or Sunshine for the Mario series, and Wind Waker or Skyward Sword (As much as I love that game to death) for Zelda. But when it pays off, it REALLY pays off (Galaxy and Odyssey for Mario; Breath of the Wild for Zelda.)

Bottom line: Mario and Zelda try to go above and beyond, whereas Pokemon tries to do just enough to get by and meet basic standards as a result, that really doesn't lead to any significant growth, if any growth at all for the series. And I think it's a damn shame, because while Pokemon sells amazing numbers as is, it could sell sooooo much more and has a lot more potential if Game Freak was willing to really invest the money, time, and new resources to make it happen, it could really benefit in the long run. It's not like they have any shortage of money right now, especially since the 20th Anniversary (Sun/Moon's record breaking launch and the Pokemon GO phenomenon). Just give it a shot.

PAOerfulone said:
Ever since I finished Sun and Let's Go Eevee within the last two months, it has really made me think about my view and problem with the Pokemon series as a whole and this thread really got me thinking.
While those games were great and good respectively, in the end, they were just more of the same. They really did not do much to deviate from the usual Pokemon formula. The last time the series had any significant and notable changes and ambition was Gen 2. Pokemon is Nintendo's example and embodiment of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." While there's nothing majorly wrong with that philosophy, the problem is after a while, the formula and series becomes stale, repetitive, and somewhat boring.

You know that scene from Thor: Ragnarok where Thor is talking to Loki about Growth and Change, that's how I feel about Pokemon. I look at Nintendo's other 1st party franchises, Mario and Zelda in particular, and the developers and teams behind them are constantly trying to raise the bar on themselves, trying different things with each entry in an effort to grow and evolve. Each new game, they try to set a new standard and reach new heights. Sometimes they'll fall flat like with 3D World or Sunshine for the Mario series, and Wind Waker or Skyward Sword (As much as I love that game to death) for Zelda. But when it pays off, it REALLY pays off (Galaxy and Odyssey for Mario; Breath of the Wild for Zelda.)

Bottom line: Mario and Zelda try to go above and beyond, whereas Pokemon tries to do just enough to get by and meet basic standards as a result, that really doesn't lead to any significant growth, if any growth at all for the series. And I think it's a damn shame, because while Pokemon sells amazing numbers as is, it could sell sooooo much more and has a lot more potential if Game Freak was willing to really invest the money, time, and new resources to make it happen, it could really benefit in the long run. It's not like they have any shortage of money right now, especially since the 20th Anniversary (Sun/Moon's record breaking launch and the Pokemon GO phenomenon). Just give it a shot.

As I mentioned before, we have to consider the timeline of Pokemon releases.

If you're looking for Pokemon to go for a BotW route, then you might want to ask GF to delay Gen 8 to next year or so, if they are to continue with the development patterns that they've been going through since the franchise has started. 

Kai_Mao said:
PAOerfulone said:

As I mentioned before, we have to consider the timeline of Pokemon releases.

If you're looking for Pokemon to go for a BotW route, then you might want to ask GF to delay Gen 8 to next year or so, if they are to continue with the development patterns that they've been going through since the franchise has started. 

Fine with me.