By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Gen VIII - Hopes and Expectations

Possible example of what level of output to expect.

Around the Network

No go mechanics, no friendly rival (give me an asshole like Gary), somewhat challenging, and on a scale similar to BotW....AND NO GO MECHANICS!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Wyrdness said:
Possible example of what level of output to expect.

That would be cool. But since Town is mainly based on exploring the..."Town," that's probably why they were able to create the graphics like that.

When you're going for a bigger scale that some fans have been hoping for for years, it may get a little dicey. As I said before, Game Freak has been releasing mainline games almost annually. The BotW-type of game some are looking for may take longer than what GF has been developing for Gen 8. Though again, I don't know how long they've been developing for the new generation.

BasilZero said:
flashfire926 said:

1999:

2018:

Its best to keep your expectations tempered when you talk about the graphics/animation side of things.

edit: the first pic is a gif, but I cant get it to work. Basically what this shows is, Blastoise had an appropriate animation for Hydro Pump back in 1999 with Pokemon Stadium (water coming out of the actual cannons, but 19 years later Game Freak still hasnt caught up yet.

Game Freak didnt make Pokemon Stadium - Nintendo EAD did.

I know that. A dev other than Game Freak had better animations 19 years ago. I think EAD should take control of Pokemon.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

shikamaru317 said:

Hopes:

-Open, expansive world with buildings that are as big on the outside as they are on the inside
-Visible Pokemon in the overworld
-AAA graphics (think Breath of the Wild tier quality) with brand new, much more detailed attack animations
-Multiple difficulty settings
-No starter lines that look overly feminine (Fennekin line in gen 6 Popplio line in gen 7 had overaly feminine designs)
-Detailed character creation that let's you change everything from character age to body type
-High quality, orchestral soundtrack

Expectations:

-Smaller maps with loading screens and buildings that are smaller on the outside
-Graphics that are only slightly better than Sun and Moon (similar quality level to Gamefreak's other game Town) with reused Sun/Moon attack animations
-Minimal character creation similar to Sun/Moon (only things you can change are hair style and color, eye color, and clothing, no way to change things like age, height, body type, facial features, etc)
-An overly feminine starter line
-Only one difficulty setting that is easy enough for 6 year olds to beat it with no problem, leading to the usual complaints about it being too easy from the older players
-Music that sounds like it's still running on the 3DS's rather dated audio processor

As you can, see, I've learned not to expect much from Gamefreak. I love Pokemon, but let's face it, they get by with a minimum of effort spent on each new gen. They're going to be the only 1st/2nd party developer on Switch that looks like they're still making games for the 3DS rather than the considerably more powerful Switch.

The soundtrack for Let's Go is pretty good. I like the orchestrated sounds.

Around the Network

Just gimme something great like Sun/Moon or Platinum. Hopefully not something as bland and uninspired as X/Y. By far the far the worst pokemon game, kill it and lets go with fire.

X/Y has by far the worst region (its unfinished), worst pokemon design (looks like leftovers from gen 5), worst OST, worst cast of characters (considering how pokemon games are thats saying something), awful chibi art style, piss easy difficulty, and I can go on and on. Mega Evolution was a cool concept that had a very bad execution (used as a gen 1 pandering tool, not given to any gen 6 mons, only you and the champion have a mega the entire game, etc)

Last edited by flashfire926 - on 30 December 2018

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

People are making GF seem way worse than they actually are, and having unrealistic expectations for them to enjoy the game

shikamaru317 said:

Hopes:

-No starter lines that look overly feminine (Fennekin line in gen 6, Popplio line in gen 7 had overly feminine designs)
-Detailed character creation that lets you change everything from character age to body type

Priorities indeed.

shikamaru317 said:
Kai_Mao said:

The soundtrack for Let's Go is pretty good.

It's an improvement over the 3DS soundtracks, but it still sounds like they were purposefully going for a retro, handheld audio chip kind of vibe on it. Maybe that was intentional since it was a remake rather than a new game though. Maybe they will go with a full on, orchestral quality soundtrack for gen 8, or maybe it will be more retro sounding, we'll have to see.

I don't know. Maybe they will go for more orchestrated feel, but even then the orchestrated music from Let's Go didn't really feel like a retro-type sound.

BasilZero said:
flashfire926 said:

I know that. A dev other than Game Freak had better animations 19 years ago. I think EAD should take control of Pokemon.

Nah, two different development teams with two different views. EAD should stick with Mario, Zelda and MK as they always have done.

GameFreak does a great job as is. Pokemon's mainline series not meant to be a graphic powerhouse - its mainly known for its gameplay system which is similar in each game but offers improvements each gen.

There's a reason why Pokemon mainline series is still alive and going strong with GameFreak's guidance while Pokemon Stadium and its "successors" havent been as successful nor has appeared in the last two generations (including this one).

Animations dont sell games, gameplay does. If Animations sold games, then The Order 1886 wouldnt have been a flop that you can buy for $4.

The Order 1886 may be a radical example, considering that it mainly looked more like a 6-8 hour tech demo with little else.

I mean, God of War is considered by many as the GotY for 2018 and its graphical design is pretty impressive.

Though it is interesting to reflect upon games like Pokemon Stadium. It sold around 4 million LT, which is impressive on the N64, but a farcry from the mainline games at the time. Plus, it was released during the height of the Pokemon phenomenon. Would a game like Pokemon Stadium garner more sales on Switch?