By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSA: Epic games store doesn't let you play offline. UPDATE: They are working on it!

BasilZero said:
Farsala said:
PS plus lets you play offline though, I am fairly sure. I am not sure how Epic games store works, as I don't intend to try it, but for PS plus you have to go online to get the game and then you can go offline and the game should expire when your PS plus expires, prompting you to of course get more PS plus or games from PS plus and a new expiration date happens. From what I understand here Epic games store isn't allowing him to play at all when offline.

Paywall DRM :P

But seriously though, I dont see how not being able to play a game offline is a big deal when there are far bigger issues on Epic lol.

To each their own on what they value out of a game store. Not being able to play unless online, means not being able to play if the servers ever go down. Which means there's a potential of your entire EGS library being unplayable once the EGS servers are mothballed for good. But yeah, I agree that no forums, reviews, etc is also bad. 

Around the Network

There's one of the reasons why I buy all my games on GOG...

BasilZero said: 
S.Peelman said:
So it’s basically full-price rentals. Indeed sounds like something that should be avoided then.

No....its basically like any other digital store that has DRM limitations (i.e. PS+ free games, Steam, Uplay, etc).

Which are also basically full-price rentals though.

I doubt we'll see many news sites cover this in a major way. They're far to happy to be able to promote a big store that isn't Steam, even if it's bad in the long term.

Soren0079 said:
I doubt we'll see many news sites cover this in a major way. They're far to happy to be able to promote a big store that isn't Steam, even if it's bad in the long term.

The funny thing here is that in theory it would be easy to crush Steam. Just offer to take 4 to 12 percent of all game sale profits, while passing at least half of those savings on to the consumer. Then make your store have reviews, forums, an offline mode, and quality control. Finally offer GoG style DRM-Free versions of games so long as the developer chooses to opt in. Both customers and publishers would flock to a store like that. 

But no. There has to be something more to it or somebody else would have done it already. 

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
Steam or GOG always.

^ so much this.

I also hate useing all those stores, and keeping track of accounts & passwords.
These 2 are the ones I swear by, anything else is a no buy.

Not on steam or GoG = dont buy.

Dom Matrick is a visionary.

For me it's crazy how anyone could buy games that could be made unplayable if you have internet connection issues or if the servers have problems. Obviously I'm not counting online shooters or other multiplayer games, but single player games where you need to be online just to access what you payed for? Insane. I guess this is what you call a third world problem, where I live internet issues are frequent so this kind of online-only BS is something I will never support.

JRPGfan said:
Random_Matt said:
Steam or GOG always.

^ so much this.

I also hate useing all those stores, and keeping track of accounts & passwords.
These 2 are the ones I swear by, anything else is a no buy.

Not on steam or GoG = dont buy.

I actually only buy on GOG, though it's not the only store I have:

Steam: mostly for gifts, Kickstarter, and gamecodes from german PC magazines. I haven't bought a single game there for myself but have almost 100 games int he service.

Origin: Git in due to a magazine code for Might and Magic X: Legacy. I have now a dozen games there, the others all being freebies from Ubisoft.

itch.io: got some games and demos/betas gifted there, but that's about it

I also have some historical platforms that I don't use anymore for reasons noted below:

Impulse: Formerly Stardock Impulse, now part of Gamestop. Was my primary shop until that moment with about 50 games. Since I forgot about all the passwords (including to my former temporal e-mail adress, where the retrieval code is sent to), I don't know how to transfer to another system and just keep them on my old PC (which is sadly dying)

Desura: Defunct platform specialized into Indies and Mods, thankfully only had 3 games there (2 through Kickstarter and one gift)

GamersGate: Formerly part of Paradox Interactive and allowed direct downloads just like GOG, but I'm not really using it anymore.

Darwinianevolution said:
Yeah, this is not a good start for the supposed Steam killer. Always online DRM is poison for any non-online multiplayer game out there, so right of the bat their versions of their games are inferior to those found on Steam and GOG if this is true.

lol did they really think they were the "steam killer"? That's not going to happen.