By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSA: Epic games store doesn't let you play offline. UPDATE: They are working on it!

So, I went to the Epic Games store to get Subnautica, since it has been sitting in my steam wishlist for a while now. I was happy with it, until I tried to play the game on my computer when I wasn't online. Turns out the Epic Games Store won't let you play your games unless you are online. So if the store's servers ever go down you lose all your games. I'm thankful for the free game and all, but I couldn't imagine spending money on something that I could lose access to in the future. 

TL/DR Don't buy games from the Epic Store. They are filled with the worst type of DRM. 

UPDATE: They are working on getting the Epic Store to run games in offlinemode. 

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1090817340743262209?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1090817340743262209&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fdisqus.com%2Fhome%2Finbox%2F

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 05 February 2019

Around the Network

So it’s basically full-price rentals. Indeed sounds like something that should be avoided then.

Bandorr said:
malicious
-full of, characterized by, or showing malice; intentionally harmful; spiteful: malicious gossip.
-Law . vicious, wanton, or mischievous in motivation or purpose.

So how is requiring online malicious in any way shape or form?

And do we know that the "online" requirement would apply to games you actually buy?

Well, malice is the intention or desire to do evil. If your games disappear on you isn't that pretty evil? Now, I'm sure the guys over at Epic aren't intending for any of that to happen, but they also don't care. So, yeah what they're doing isn't exactly malicious, since there isn't an intent. But that's the best word I could think of to sum up the thread for a thread title. 

Someone should buy a game and then report on whether or not it works offline. I'm not going to do it though. Someone else can try that one.  

Edit: There I changed the thread title. Hopefully that makes it clearer. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 27 December 2018

Steam or GOG always.

I thought i read somewhere that there will be no DRM?

Around the Network

Doesn't really bother me, I guess. I'm not a fan of how Epic is handling things at the moment, mainly because they're buying exclusive rights on an "open" system. I do have healthy libraries in my steam and GOG accounts, and have little desire to install yet another launcher. But this always online thing is commonplace and does not affect me in any meaningful way. I can see how it would bother some, though.

Yeah, this is not a good start for the supposed Steam killer. Always online DRM is poison for any non-online multiplayer game out there, so right of the bat their versions of their games are inferior to those found on Steam and GOG if this is true.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Did they even see what happened to MS?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Well hope you could play subnautica, love that game.

PS plus lets you play offline though, I am fairly sure. I am not sure how Epic games store works, as I don't intend to try it, but for PS plus you have to go online to get the game and then you can go offline and the game should expire when your PS plus expires, prompting you to of course get more PS plus or games from PS plus and a new expiration date happens. From what I understand here Epic games store isn't allowing him to play at all when offline.