By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN Game of the Year announced!

Currently the score is 39 vs 29 in GOW’s favor. I was thinking it would be the closest fight since Mario Galaxy vs Bioshock when Bioshock won by 2 awards but it looks like GOW’s starting to run away with it.

Around the Network

Poor Smash. This was like the worst year to release in.

Anyways amazing award! I really need to finish more games from this year ... this and Shadow of the Colossus are going to be some of my next games to go through.

Sahib said:
Currently the score is 39 vs 29 in GOW’s favor. I was thinking it would be the closest fight since Mario Galaxy vs Bioshock when Bioshock won by 2 awards but it looks like GOW’s starting to run away with it.

This is great to see. Hard to see anything but a GOW victory now. I'm on my third playthtough. I doubt I'll play RDR more then once. 

Mr.Joker said:
colafitte said:

My game of the year, so becuase they think like me they're great!!, if not, they would be trash....of course.

I predicted this would happen when RDR 2 launched with a 97 metacritic. I ranted then that i thought it was overrated and the press untrustworthy, and that it will be like 2013 again with TLOU and GTA V, and after the game awards this became pretty clear.

Last year super mario odyssey score was 97 but Horizon zero dawn with 88 metacritic doubled it in GOTY Awards,so does this mean Super mario odyssey is overrated? Or even persona 5?

In my opinion, both are yes. But that doesn't mean they are bad games. Persona 5 is a good example for me of a good game and yet disappointing one, because I loved P4G (one of my favorite games ever ) but P5 didn't stick with me the same.

It's just that those games didn't deserved such high notes, that's all. And the fact that Horizon received more goty votes is a perfect explanation why. 

I think God of War is a great game, and I won't argue with anyone selecting it as their game of the year. But, it's my number two, behind Red Dead. Bose we're very fun, relatively bug free games. But, I got more enjoyment out of Red Dead. There was just more there to do, and most all of it was compelling. God of War was also quite compelling, there just was less of it.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
I think God of War is a great game, and I won't argue with anyone selecting it as their game of the year. But, it's my number two, behind Red Dead. Bose we're very fun, relatively bug free games. But, I got more enjoyment out of Red Dead. There was just more there to do, and most all of it was compelling. God of War was also quite compelling, there just was less of it.

It's crazy that almost everybody who picks rdr2 as their GOTY has GOW next in line. Just shows how good it is. 

Kerotan said:
COKTOE said:
Toastboy says at 1:29: "I've never really liked Kerotan as a character." Fair enough....But really, what games was he playing? I've always found him, at the very least, interesting, and at best, totally engaging, and a character who I really wanted to guide to his narrative conclusion. Possibly the greatest anti-hero in chartz history. Passionate in achieving his goals, capable of callous, almost mechanical death-dealing, but plagued by suffering and regret. Plus he banged whoors until ornaments fell off the walls.

Fixed. 

I think you're drunk tonight. It's ok and all. Sleep it off and post again in the morning.

GOWTLOZ said:
COKTOE said:
Homeboy says at 1:29: "I've never really liked Kratos as a character." Fair enough....But really, what games was he playing? I've always found him, at the very least, interesting, and at best, totally engaging, and a character who I really wanted to guide to his narrative conclusion. Possibly the greatest anti-hero in gaming history. Passionate in achieving his goals, capable of callous, almost mechanical death-dealing, but plagued by suffering and regret. Plus he banged whoors until ornaments fell off the walls.

You should watch a video on YouTube called God of War was always Great you cowards by a guy with 21k subscribers and has like 250k views. He reveals journalistic integrity of the gaming press.

TL; DR gaming journalist who says he never liked Kratos before admits that he never played the past games and is going by general sentiments. The video has clips where Kratos is more than an angry dude to prove who he really was.

Thank for the recommendation! Really enjoyed it. I'm just gonna go ahead and post it here, since it is a GOW thread. Maybe someone else will watch it. It's spoilerific, so beware. Even I had some stuff ruined ( I have yet to play the remastered PSP games, but I do own them ). No worries though. :)

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Kerotan said:

Fixed. 

I think you're drunk tonight. It's ok and all. Sleep it off and post again in the morning.

GOWTLOZ said:

You should watch a video on YouTube called God of War was always Great you cowards by a guy with 21k subscribers and has like 250k views. He reveals journalistic integrity of the gaming press.

TL; DR gaming journalist who says he never liked Kratos before admits that he never played the past games and is going by general sentiments. The video has clips where Kratos is more than an angry dude to prove who he really was.

Thank for the recommendation! Really enjoyed it. I'm just gonna go ahead and post it here, since it is a GOW thread. Maybe someone else will watch it. It's spoilerific, so beware. Even I had some stuff ruined ( I have yet to play the remastered PSP games, but I do own them ). No worries though. :)

Thanks for posting it. Saved me looking. 

Kerotan said:
colafitte said:

My game of the year, so becuase they think like me they're great!!, if not, they would be trash....of course.

I predicted this would happen when RDR 2 launched with a 97 metacritic. I ranted then that i thought it was overrated and the press untrustworthy, and that it will be like 2013 again with TLOU and GTA V, and after the game awards this became pretty clear.

I love GTA V to death and I love Red dead too but there's no doubt TLOU and GOW are better overall games. Two big pros they have is the gameplay is better and they're not riddled with shark card/gold bar type microtransactions. 

GoW no because it’s only SP, but LoU yes it’s loaded with microtransactions, pay to win weapons, etc. Microtransactions literally changed the meta of LoU MP, it was a shame to see. At least they dialed the aggressive pay to win aspects back in Uncharted 4, as far as I know. Though even it has its own “shark card” currency and loads of microtransactions.

Congrats to GoW, I’ll finish it eventually, same with Red Dead.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Kerotan said:

I love GTA V to death and I love Red dead too but there's no doubt TLOU and GOW are better overall games. Two big pros they have is the gameplay is better and they're not riddled with shark card/gold bar type microtransactions. 

GoW no because it’s only SP, but LoU yes it’s loaded with microtransactions, pay to win weapons, etc. Microtransactions literally changed the meta of LoU MP, it was a shame to see. At least they dialed the aggressive pay to win aspects back in Uncharted 4, as far as I know. Though even it has its own “shark card” currency and loads of microtransactions.

Congrats to GoW, I’ll finish it eventually, same with Red Dead.

Who's Lou?