By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

BORIS Johnson is on course for a massive election majority tonight after the exit polls tipped the Tories to win with 368 seats. Jeremy Corbyn looks to deliver the worst Labour performance since the Second World War with a projected 191 seats.

Around the Network

At the same time, the SNP has increased massively to 55 constituencies, meaning they can't be denied an independence poll if the numbers stay true. This might spell the end of the UK as we know it if the scots would vote to leave the union with England.

How can anyone claim that Brexit is not the will of the people? Or are we going to blame Russia here too?

melbye said:
How can anyone claim that Brexit is not the will of the people? Or are we going to blame Russia here too?

Well, with Labour going with their own Brexit while Corbyn made himself more unelectable and Jo Swindon making herself more and more unbearable, there was really nobody anymore to vote for if you wanted to remain unless you were in Scotland or Northern Ireland (Okay, the greens, but those don't get enough votes to turn an election all by themselves. They're a very small party in the UK, after all).

As such, I was expecting a big win for the Tories, though not quite as big as the exit poll suggested. What I wait to see is the results in northern Ireland. I expect either Alliance or Sinn Fein to win and the DUP to drop deep down there.

melbye said:

Russia, misinformation, fake news, & isms.

For real though, those polls are so shocking that I just would rather read the news tomorrow. 

Around the Network

The end of the union as you know it, and the UK as a relevant country. Long winter ahead. But eh, i'm no longer there anyway.

SpokenTruth said:
It's amazing that we could all be witnessing the dissolution of the UK before our very eyes. So much for the U in UK.

This is what the country chose.

Deleted dumb comment.

Last edited by RJTM1991 - on 16 December 2023

SpokenTruth said:
It's amazing that we could all be witnessing the dissolution of the UK before our very eyes. So much for the U in UK.

Johnson won't want to be responsible for having that happen on his watch, no matter how many Brexiteers are happy to cut Scotland and/or Northern Ireland loose to facilitate Brexit - odds are he'll cook up some deal that'll leave moderate Brexiteers saying "okay, that's close enough to what I voted for" and moderate Remainers saying "okay, that's close enough to what we have now", and just about hold off the threat of Scottish secession.

Which, ironically, is what Corbyn actually wanted to do all along, but he went about it in the most asinine, bass-ackwards way possible, in addition to just generally doing a terrible job as party leader.

RolStoppable said:
I was surprised by the results at first, but then I read that the UK uses the winner-takes-all system. The election map looks like a strong concentration of Labour wins in cities, but the big cities account for fewer districts than rural areas. The majority of Scotland went to the Scottish party.

Does any place show the stats in the form of a popular vote for the UK as a whole?

This might help you:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/dec/12/uk-general-election-2019-full-results-live-labour-conservatives-tories

You can click on every constituency to see the detailed results for each of them. Below you can see the result of the popular vote.

Also, poor LibDems. Gained 4% in votes but lost half of their seats.

Turnout looked high at first, with long queues, but in the end it were only 67% of the voters who actually used their right to vote.

People voted to get Brexit done after years of argueing, they don't think about the idea of a Tory government for the next 4 years. They don't like Corbin so voted Tory in Labour areas when it's not who will be leading the country but representing them.

Whatever.

Last edited by The Fury - on 13 December 2019

Hmm, pie.