Forums - Gaming Discussion - Any games where you started playing without a lot of expectations but ended up becoming one of your favorites?

Persona 5. Like I literally played for 2 hours when I got it and was like, "meh this game is wierd and hard to follow." Now this was at like 3 in the morning and I was already tired and could not focus, so 2 weeks later I tried it again from the beginning...and holy crap...

Needless to say I was hooked and it has easily become one of my top games this gen. If it comes to Switch, I will play it again. If not...I will still play it again! Also I will be getting 3 and 4 eventually because of it, as I am now a true Persona fan.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Around the Network
BraLoD said:

The Last of Us.
I didn't even want to play it, actually.

Same here, but it started appearing in PSN sales for 5 bucks, so I picked it up. The entire time I couldn't believe what they managed to squeeze out of the PS3, but later I played some other later year games of the PS3 and TLoU didn't seem so impressive anymore on replay.

Visit my eBay stampers store: eims-stampers

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Red dead redemption
The Witcher
Rocket league
Don't Starve
Killzone 2
Farcry 3

I'm surprised at the mentions of Persona 5 here. I remember there being a lot of hype for that game, and personally, while I haven't played it, I have always wanted to (post-release, that is) and have high expectations of it whenever I do.

I'd say most recently is Titanfall 2, I only got round to playing it last month, and I wasn't expecting TOO much from it, since I went in thinking "Yeah it's just another FPS after finishing Doom, can't see it doing much to impress me", but I wasn't bothered since I only paid a fiver or so for it a while back anyway... turns out I absolutely loved it from start to finish, the gameplay was amazing, controls were tight, everything was flowing smoothly, the graphics were great, the music was epic, and it actually had a really great story despite being on the short end of things. It's very easily one of the best FPS games I've played in the last decade, and I recommend anyone that hasn't played it yet to give it a go!

Around the Network

Probably Phoenix Wright. It's absolutely lovely.

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

m0ney said:
BraLoD said:

The Last of Us.
I didn't even want to play it, actually.

Same here, but it started appearing in PSN sales for 5 bucks, so I picked it up. The entire time I couldn't believe what they managed to squeeze out of the PS3, but later I played some other later year games of the PS3 and TLoU didn't seem so impressive anymore on replay.

I went back to platinum it after I platined God of War this year, and I still find it very impressive.

Went to beat it again on the hardest level and play the online, but I just couldn't rush it, way too good to skip stuff hahaha.

Such a masterpiece.

Dead Rising on X360.

I didn't have any expectations but ended up enjoying it immensely. Dead Rising 2 as well.

Mass effect

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Starlink actually became one of my favourite gaming moments of recent years. I only bought it for the star fox crossover but it does something that even the biggest releases often dont, its actually fun to play.