By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Passes PS3 Total Sales

LivingMetal said:
For me, it doesn't seem to have been that long since the PS4 came out. But then again, I've only had mine for just over 2 years. Ps4 just keeps going.

It really hasn't been out that long. Worst case scenario, this is the half way point for it. However, with how well it has sold, and continues selling, plus the X86/Radeon architecture, this will probably be the longest supported PlayStation console to date. 

PS4 should get revisioned next fall with a 7nm APU, which would introduce the PS4 Super Slim and PS4 Pro Slim. At that point the price should go $199.99/$299.99 full time, if it doesn't happen before then. Next Black Firday and Christmas week should see deals on the new Super Slim at $149.99. 

Going forward, I think Sony will still support the system with Sony owned IP's, but only those geared toward the family freindly and casual space. AAA 1st party titles will be full PS5 no doubt, but I think they will have some cross gen titles for a few years, probably farmed out to independent studios. 

Sony has a lot of oppertunity to continue growing the PS4 userbase over the next few years, and into the PS5 lifecycle. I know many see 120 - 130M as the cap, but I wouldn't count out the possability of PS2 or beyond when it's all said and done.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
Can’t wait to see PS4 finish it’s life as the #2 best selling home console of all time.

Yep.  #2 best selling Home console is "done already"; the maximum you have to wait is end of Aug/Sept 2019 to pass Wii, and Nov 2019 to pass PS1.   Or maybe earlier ?

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

0D0 said:
Sony's dominating top 5.

That's how Sony took leadership since 1994. Playstation is the true standard legendary console brand.

The future is gonna be:

1 PS4 155+ million

2 PS2 151+ million

3 PS1 104+ million

4 Wii 101+ million

5 PS3 86+ million

And then:

1 PS5 199+ million

2 PS4 155+ million

3 PS2 151+ million

4 PS1 104+ million

5 Wii 101+ million

And then:

1 PS6 396+ million

2 PS5 199+ million

3 PS4 155+ million

4 PS2 151+ million

5 PS1 104+ million

yeah !

If they expand the ecosystem to more form factors this shouldn't be a problem at all. I don't think a single SKU PS5 or PS6 has any chance of hitting those numbers though. If the PS5 ecosystem ends up extending from the Console, to a PlayStation Phone, and Sony TV's, then they would easily blow past 199+ Million. 20+ Million PS Consoles, 20+ Million PS Phones, and 20+ Million PS TVs a year. 60M x 5 years, they could hit 300 Million PS5 devices by this time next gen.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Sony have officially grown gen over gen. First console since the 360 and wii to pull this off.

Delighted. Also can't wait until the top 3 is ps2, ps4 and ps1. Sony deserve it.

Poor Wii is about to get murdered.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Very good, all Playstation consoles on the top 5 and very soon the TOP 3 will be only PS.

I guess the accomplishments of the Playstation brand can never be put to question.

4 consoles in the top 5. They sure have to be ding something right.

Me and my friend we said 131.5M when it's all set and done.

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:
Very good, all Playstation consoles on the top 5 and very soon the TOP 3 will be only PS.

I guess the accomplishments of the Playstation brand can never be put to question.

And we won't ever stop hearing how sony got luck all the 3 times it lead a gen, never with merit.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Crazy: after 5 years in the market PS3 was at 57.6 millions and ended with almost 87
PS4 is at 88.1 and it seems that it has a lot of life on it. Could end between 140-150 millions LT

DonFerrari said:
Intrinsic said:

And we won't ever stop hearing how sony got luck all the 3 times it lead a gen, never with merit.

Yh. PlayStation only ever wins when someone else has messed up. But whenever someone else wins or does well they are great and innovative.

Sony won 5th gen because nintendo went with carts and sega couldn't make up their minds.

They won 6th gen cause of DVD and MS came late to the party.

We all know they lost the 7th gen and only barely sold over 80M consoles.

And they won 8th gen because of MS always online and because nintendo couldn't think of a better name for the Wii 2.

Oh lets not forget that even after 4 gens sony doesnt have any games.