By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November NPD 2018 Thread

zorg1000 said:
LTD 21 months
PS4-8.38
XBO-7.66
NSW-8.73
3DS-6.40

Wow, those numbers prove to me that PS4+XBO are more impressive than what Switch is doing, or that Switch is not that impressive as you could think. Let me explain:

1. PS4 and XBO launched at the same time at way higher prices, fighting for the same kind of cosumer (COD, NBA2K, FIFA, BF, .....)

2. XBO had to fight against its own annoucement disaster.

3. Both had to fight too against their own previous consoles because during 2014, a lot of games still had a lot of sales on X360 and PS3.

4. I can only think about one new game with huge sales and 90+ metacritic in that period of time in XBO and PS4, being The Witcher III. And probably GTA V and TLOU Remastered were the best games on PS4 prior to that, both games from the previous gen.

5. Meanwhile, Switch probably had the best 12, 18, 21 first months of a new console ever, launching with a GOTY game, a Mario Kart game, a Super Mario 3D game, a huge recent new IP in Splatoon 2, all in a period of less than 9 months, and in the next 12, Switch launched new Pokemon and Smash (being this one probably the most succesful Nintendo game ever at launch) games. Nintendo went all in, and did their best possible. Compare that to Microsoft and Sony 1st party exclusive during the same period....no contest.

5. Both consoles used its launch months during holiday season so they wasted that, selling everything they couldp've roduced during a period used to buy products and gifts. In my opinion, launching in March, like Nintendo did with Swith, is way better to have better sales during its first 12 months, because at launch, if you produce 2M, 3M consoles all of them are going to be sold quickly, and then you have the holiday season months after to have another huge amount of sales.

So, despite all of this, Switch with its best 1st party lineup ever, is barealy ahead of both PS4 and XBO in USA. It is accepted that the first 20 months of PS4 were poor, with the "PS4 has no games" tagline. At the end of the day, poor PS4 first two years equally the same than best 2 first years of any Nintendo console ever in relation to sales . That's why i think Switch won't come close to Wii in lifetime sales. Wii in the same period just had way more sales than Switch. I won't be surprised if the best years of Switch in the end are cosnidered its two or three first years..., like what happened to N64 and Wii. That's why i think Switch after 2019 wil start a decline in sales (if it doesn't happen already in 2019).

I want to add, that Switch numbers are very good, is just that Switch is considered like something historical in most gaming forums when at the moment still has not been that yet, just saying that.

Around the Network
colafitte said:
DonFerrari said:

That is because usually NPD leakers on ERA are divas. It isn't the first time we have this, aquamarine and others made similar behaviours. Even "prohibiting" numbers to be posted on VGC. Like how someone that breaks the NDA they signed have any high ground to complain on others leaking to other places?

He has the right to not like what was said about him here, but he had no right to insult every member of this forum for something EVERY GAMING FORUM can be accused of. It was totally inapropiate, and if i dare to say, in a very coward manner, using a way more popular forum to put people against this forum. He probably doesn't like to fight their numbers against VGC because it goes against his interests for his twiter account popularity, and he knows his numbers are more close to the official numbers, so he is more reliable to get real numbers (most people here agree on that), but VGC never lied about its numbers. VGC numbers are not official, they're just the work of using current info to bring a closer aproximation of what the actual numbers of gaming sales are. VGC makes continually adjustments to get close to official data every time now and then. No one here says that you have to trust VGC numbers against any other media or info available for gaming selling numbers.

And VGC forums, and its members have way more and better discussions about sales that what i see in other sites. VGC doesn't deserve such behavior from NPD leakers or other gaming forum members. Mat Piscatella and Benji are very valuable posters in Resetera, but they not only give numbers, they give opinions too. So, the moment they start doing that, people will react always. Compared to ZhugeEX, he express his opinions in forums at a minimum giving mostly only facts and numbers, so almost nobody discuss anything he says. That's how gaming forum works. They're going to be always people that are against what you said or think, and if they're not...., well, it doesn't talk very well about diverstiy of opinions and free speech then.

Very well said. Agree completely.

Of all the number posters my all time favorite and still my favorite has been ZhugeEX. Thats how you do it. He says what he has to say and keeps it to the facts of it. No one has ever argued with him. These other numbers leakers are really just entitled brats if you ask me. And thrive in communities like Gaf and Era because those communities have a hive mentality. Its almost like talking to a forum of one. And I don't think thats healthy. And mind you.... I am a member of Era. Never posted n there though. 

Benji was never on my radar until now and for the wrong reasons..... if you don't want what you say to be challenged? Then keep your mouth shut.

And this is why I like VGC...... its a sesspool of very opinionated people and while we get extremes of it atimes thats pretty normal. The mods keep things civil but all opinions no matter how ridiculous are allowed to be expressed here. Anyone can be called out. No exceptions. 

DonFerrari said:
I'm laughing with the gloom and doom for PS4 and X1, how much doom reaching 100M is?
Also 25M sales for Switch in 2019 is something very hard to achieve.
Plus December will be funny to see when we have predictions of Switch under 1.4 and over 2M... one of those can be very wrong.

This year the switch is going to do around 16M at best. Which is great but a far cry from then going on to do 25M in sales the next year. Its currently at 11M s its even generous saying it will sell 5M consoles in the last 5 weeks of 2018. I dont know how some in the ninty camp see these things or if they are mixing up shipped and sold numbers.. but whatever it is its just unrealistic.  

Can they do 18M or even 19M in sales next year? Absolutely and more in line with what I would expect... but 20M and up is very unrealistic to me. I am very very very curious to know what people feel the sales drivers are going to be to make it go from a 15M -16M year to a 20M - 25M year though. 

DonFerrari said:
I'm laughing with the gloom and doom for PS4 and X1, how much doom reaching 100M is?
Plus December will be funny to see when we have predictions of Switch under 1.4 and over 2M... one of those can be very wrong.

This year the switch is going to do around 16M at best. Which is great but a far cry from then going on to do 25M in sales the next year. Its currently at 11M s its even generous saying it will sell 5M consoles in the last 5 weeks of 2018. I dont know how some in the ninty camp see these things or if they are mixing up shipped and sold numbers.. but whatever it is its just unrealistic.  

Can they do 18M or even 19M in sales next year? Absolutely and more in line with what I would expect... but 20M and up is very unrealistic to me. I am very very very curious to know what people feel the sales drivers are going to be to make it go from a 15M -16M year to a 20M - 25M year though. 

Price cut/revision and major games all throughout the year instead of just the last two months. That's 20 million right there. Japan will blow up next year imo if Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are in the first half of the year. A true Pokemon game will also help in Europe 

Miyamotoo said:

Nate4Drake said:

I understand your dreams, but I think PS4 will win everywhere apart from Japan, which is the smallest and least important market nowdays.

And Europe, well, Sony Land for ever, without any competition.

He is right thought, US was always strongest market for Nintendo same like Europe was for Sony, Switch has good chances beating PS4 in US at end, for now they are selling very similar in US for same time period.

But he`s not right. He actually couldn't be more wrong if he tried. And you will be very wrong too especially with a claim like that.

Since the PS1 nintendo has never won the US market. The only exception to this was with the PS3/Wii generation and even then it didn't win NA. The 360 did. So what claim exactly does anyone have to say NA is its strongest market? Absolutely none. Especially liken it t sonys dominance in EU? Ridiculous.

Sony has NEVER not won the EU market. From the PS1 all the way to the PS4. 

Sony has won the NA market 3 times out of 4 and when it lost it it lost it t the XB not nintendo. 

So really how or n what grounds is NA nintendos strongest market the same way EU is sonys strongest market when in 4 generations nintendo has never won in NA or EU? 

The simple truth of the matter is that Japan is nintendos best claim for a strongest market and even that is debatable because its obvious japan is home console resistant and prefer their handhelds. Case in point the wii only beating the PS3 by 2M in japan and japan only account for 12M f the Wiis 100M sales.

MasonADC said:

Price cut/revision and major games all throughout the year instead of just the last two months. That's 20 million right there. Japan will blow up next year imo if Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are in the first half of the year. A true Pokemon game will also help in Europe 

I am sorry I just don't see it.

I think the problem here is how those in the nintendo camp see the NS and how those like me outside it see it.

You guys see it like a DS and wii successor. So you guys are expecting sales of 100M to 150M. Projections made of an age thats long past and simply not the world we live in anymore. I could talk a lot abut this but I digress.

I see it more like a 3DS and WiiU successor. And expect sales of like 15M to 75M. A projection based on the market we are in today and wat nintendo has brought to the table.

Pokemon does not have the same effect today in a world where mothers are more likely to buy their kids $50 android tablets as it did in the time of the DS. And the 3DS was the first indication of this fact. If you can't see that then I don't know what to say.

Pls note..... I am not saying pokemon is not a system seller even now and that nintendo won't do well in japan. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
MasonADC said:

I am sorry I just don't see it.

I think the problem here is how those in the nintendo camp see the NS and how those like me outside it see it.

You guys see it like a DS and wii successor. So you guys are expecting sales of 100M to 150M. Projections made of an age thats long past and simply not the world we live in anymore. I could talk a lot abut this but I digress.

I see it more like a 3DS and WiiU successor. And expect sales of like 15M to 75M. A projection based on the market we are in today and wat nintendo has brought to the table.

Pokemon does not have the same effect today in a world where mothers are more likely to buy their kids $50 android tablets as it did in the time of the DS. And the 3DS was the first indication of this fact. If you can't see that then I don't know what to say.

Pls note..... I am not saying pokemon is not a system seller even now and that nintendo won't do well in japan. 

I am not expecting the Switch to keep up with the DS/Wii in sales, that's just unrealistic. But expecting 20 million or even 18/19 for what is looking like an amazing software/hardware year isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Pokemon honestly didn't have that much more of a bigger impact on the 3ds then it did on the ds. DS had more reasons for it to reach 150 million. Not to mention that all Nintendo successors has had lower sales than the original. Animal crossing brings in a new demographic of gamers as well. PS, there is no way the Switch is selling less than the 3ds, so that 75M max definitely needs to be upped 

Intrinsic said:

colafitte said:

He has the right to not like what was said about him here, but he had no right to insult every member of this forum for something EVERY GAMING FORUM can be accused of. It was totally inapropiate, and if i dare to say, in a very coward manner, using a way more popular forum to put people against this forum. He probably doesn't like to fight their numbers against VGC because it goes against his interests for his twiter account popularity, and he knows his numbers are more close to the official numbers, so he is more reliable to get real numbers (most people here agree on that), but VGC never lied about its numbers. VGC numbers are not official, they're just the work of using current info to bring a closer aproximation of what the actual numbers of gaming sales are. VGC makes continually adjustments to get close to official data every time now and then. No one here says that you have to trust VGC numbers against any other media or info available for gaming selling numbers.

And VGC forums, and its members have way more and better discussions about sales that what i see in other sites. VGC doesn't deserve such behavior from NPD leakers or other gaming forum members. Mat Piscatella and Benji are very valuable posters in Resetera, but they not only give numbers, they give opinions too. So, the moment they start doing that, people will react always. Compared to ZhugeEX, he express his opinions in forums at a minimum giving mostly only facts and numbers, so almost nobody discuss anything he says. That's how gaming forum works. They're going to be always people that are against what you said or think, and if they're not...., well, it doesn't talk very well about diverstiy of opinions and free speech then.

Of all the number posters my all time favorite and still my favorite has been ZhugeEX. Thats how you do it. He says what he has to say and keeps it to the facts of it. No one has ever argued with him. These other numbers leakers are really just entitled brats if you ask me. And thrive in communities like Gaf and Era because those communities have a hive mentality. Its almost like talking to a forum of one. And I don't think thats healthy. And mind you.... I am a member of Era. Never posted n there though. 

Benji was never on my radar until now and for the wrong reasons..... if you don't want what you say to be challenged? Then keep your mouth shut.

And this is why I like VGC...... its a sesspool of very opinionated people and while we get extremes of it atimes thats pretty normal. The mods keep things civil but all opinions no matter how ridiculous are allowed to be expressed here. Anyone can be called out. No exceptions. 

:) :) I think you might mean something like melting pot, collection or group? At any rate, my day is off to a good start.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Intrinsic said:
colafitte said:

DonFerrari said:

Why exactly do you think 5 million in the last 5 weeks is generous?

According to this site, it did 4.35 million last year.

Let's also take a look at November.

2017-1.43 million

2018-2.48 million

That is a 73% YoY increase while your generous December numbers are only up ~15% YoY which should be the absolute minimum.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Shadow1980 said:

More charts!

Well, the XBO managed to barely hold on to its vanishing surplus over the 360. Looks like I my prediction for when it would fall behind was a bit off, since the XBO wasn't down YoY as much as I thought it would be. But unless it pulls off a miracle next month it will fall behind the 360. And when it does fall behind, that deficit will not go away.

But overall, current-gen sales for conventional consoles (PS+Xbox) are still strong, though not quite as strong as last year. The XBO was down 2.6% while the PS4 was down 6.4%. This is with deals comparable to last year. Now, that's not a big drop by any means, but it could be an early warning sign that both systems are about to enter the terminal decline phase of their lives. They are now at just shy of 51 million units sold LTD combined, and by the end of next month will likely be at over 53M. By comparison, at the end of 2011 the 360 and PS3 were at 52.65M. 2012 was when both of those systems began to irreversibly decline.

Now, I still hear the refrains about price cuts, but I still maintain that if the PS4 and/or XBO get a price cut, that it will be a modest one that doesn't affect sales much. Systems rarely get price cuts this late in life, and they never get deep cuts, so $50 is the most we should expect for the base models. And in those rare occasions when a system got a price cut this far into its life, it had negligible impact on sales. Sales of the slimline models might decline more slowly than they would in the absence of a price cut, and a $350 Pro and $400-450 X1X could spur a modest increase in upgrades, but Sony & MS are running out of customers to sell their systems to. There is a maximum addressable market for "conventional" consoles, with only so many households willing, able, and planning to buy one of a given generation at some point during that generation. The PS3 & 360 ended up at 70 million units sold lifetime in the U.S. between the two of them, and I doubt the PS4 & XBO will be able to expand the market substantially more than that. The decline is coming, if not next year then definitely the following year. And there were already some warning signs this year that it's already about to start. All of the PS4's YoY growth this year has been thanks to God of War, Spider-Man, and Red Dead. Take out April, September, and October and the PS4 is down YoY. Meanwhile, the boost to the XBO's sales from the X1X appeared to have exhausted itself by September, which was flat YoY, and while the X1X helped give the XBO its best Q1 ever this year, Q2 was only its second-best Q2, and Q3 was ranked fourth, ahead of only last year's underwhelming Q3. And now we have a December that's down, albeit only slightly.

Q1 2019 will be the first real test to see if the PS4 and XBO have exhausted their maximum sales potential, at least at their current regular price points. Combined PS3+360 sales were down 18% YoY in Q1 2012, and if the PS4 & XBO are down anywhere close to that, we might have gotten out answer to the "are they post-peak?" question. And it's worth pointing out that Q2 & Q3 2012 were even worse for the 360 & PS3, with combined sales dropping 33.7% and 35%, respectively, though Q4 was down by "only" 24% (possibly due to the increasing prevalence of big holiday deals). I could see permanent price cuts to the PS4 & XBO preventing drops that bad, but 2019 could be down at least 15% overall for the Q1-Q3 period.

Moving along to Nintendo's end.

The Switch's 2018 has, with only one month remaining to be counted, only 7% behind the PS4's 2015. The Switch will need to sell at least 1.87M in December to tie the PS4's 2015. Certainly a possibility if Smash can move enough units.

The Switch is also absolutely crushing the 3DS. Like, it's not even close. After 21 months on the market, the Switch has sold about 8.74M units, 36.7% more than the nearly 6.4M units the 3DS sold in its first 21 months. And the Switch has shown that its more than capable of supporting the U.S. market on its own. For Year 2 sales, the Switch has so far sold 17.7% more units than the 3DS & Wii U did in their second years. It fell short last year of beating combined 3DS+Wii U sales (thanks mainly to the 3DS having an amazing December in 2012, which was better than any month the PS4 or XBO have had), but it's made up for it this year, and with the big YoY boost for November total Year 1 + Year 2 sales for the Switch are now ahead. To beat total Year 3 sales for the 3DS & Wii U, the Switch will need to sell over 5.2M units next year. With the possibility of a price cut and/or a hardware revision and the guarantee of the debut of the first Gen VIII Pokemon game, I think it's safe to say it'll exceed that by a comfortable margin. I honestly think there's a really good chance that the Switch will sell over 30 million units lifetime in the U.S. It'll be at over half that by the end of next year.

I was wrong when I thought X1 was ahead of X360 for 3 years in USA, it is more like 5 years and also show that there haven't been a turn around by Xbox, unless they are talking about turn around in sales by decreasing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Intrinsic said:
Miyamotoo said:

He is right thought, US was always strongest market for Nintendo same like Europe was for Sony, Switch has good chances beating PS4 in US at end, for now they are selling very similar in US for same time period.

But he`s not right. He actually couldn't be more wrong if he tried. And you will be very wrong too especially with a claim like that.

Since the PS1 nintendo has never won the US market. The only exception to this was with the PS3/Wii generation and even then it didn't win NA. The 360 did. So what claim exactly does anyone have to say NA is its strongest market? Absolutely none. Especially liken it t sonys dominance in EU? Ridiculous.

Sony has NEVER not won the EU market. From the PS1 all the way to the PS4. 

Sony has won the NA market 3 times out of 4 and when it lost it it lost it t the XB not nintendo. 

So really how or n what grounds is NA nintendos strongest market the same way EU is sonys strongest market when in 4 generations nintendo has never won in NA or EU? 

The simple truth of the matter is that Japan is nintendos best claim for a strongest market and even that is debatable because its obvious japan is home console resistant and prefer their handhelds. Case in point the wii only beating the PS3 by 2M in japan and japan only account for 12M f the Wiis 100M sales.

You have some problem with reading or understanding point that someone is trying to make, you keep replying to people things they didnt wrote.

I am right, I never said that Nintendo is wining US markets, I said that for Nintendo US market is strongest market while Europe is strongest market for Sony, and thats a fact. Nintendo is selling most if its consoles on US market while Sony selling most of its console on Europe market simple as that, MS also selling also most of consoles to US (but Xbox brand is generally much weaker on any other market).

For your information, despite Japan prefers handheld mostly, Nintendo handhelds also sold most in US not in Japan.

Intrinsic said:

DonFerrari said:

When people talking about hole year they talking about shipped numbers because those are only official numbers we getting from Nintendo, this year Switch will maybe even hit their target of 20m shipped units, 18-19m is like minimum they will ship. Next year more than 20m is very likely. Even Wii had only year with 26m shipped units, not sold units, no one said that Switch can sell 25m in 2019.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 15 December 2018