By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be down for a Switch Pro capable of ps5/xbox2, but accept it's baggage?

Well New 3DS is kind of 3DS Pro, I expecting something similar for Switch, but there is no way it will be $400+, it will have $300 price point max (while regular model will have lower price point than current $300).

Also, you can only expect few games that could only run on "Pro" Switch version, because hardly any dev would like to make game for Switch that huge majority of Switch install base cant play it.

Around the Network

Accept it is baggage?

Well, that's a peculiar way to look at Nintendo consoles, although the GC did have a handle and looked like a lunchbox.

So... maybe you're on to something?

I still believe that we see a SKU without dock next year to catch up the handheld market and a powered dock in 2020 to somehow match PS5/neXtbox.

I would buy a more powerful switch or powered dock, because third party games often don't look as good as they could (I look at you, Rime).

A handheld that will be as capable as PS5/ NextBox? Yeah... I wouldn’t bet on a ~$400 price tag for that one...

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

twintail said:
Unless it's a switch 2 I don't support the idea of a hardware upgrade that plays games the base model can't.

Well if the base Switch is too weak for some 3rd party games anyway, base Switch owners would lose nothing.  They would still get the games it can run, and the ones it can't would be just for the Switch Pro.

One MUST however is that all Nintendo EXCLUSIVE, especially 1st party, but even the games that Nintendo is fronting the bill for like Bayo 3 or MUA3 as well, would need to be compatible with the base model.  I would only support it if only bigger 3rd party multiplats missed the base model.  Similar to some of the games on NEW 3DS.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Shiken said:
twintail said:
Unless it's a switch 2 I don't support the idea of a hardware upgrade that plays games the base model can't.

Well if the base Switch is too weak for some 3rd party games anyway, base Switch owners would lose nothing.  They would still get the games it can run, and the ones it can't would be just for the Switch Pro.

One MUST however is that all Nintendo EXCLUSIVE, especially 1st party, but even the games that Nintendo is fronting the bill for like Bayo 3 or MUA3 as well, would need to be compatible with the base model.  I would only support it if only bigger 3rd party multiplats missed the base model.  Similar to some of the games on NEW 3DS.

Yeah, but point is that really only dev would want to release game just for one kind revision and where huge part of install base cant play that game.

I mean there will be few games that will work only on New/Pro Switch model, like in case of 3DS model, but that will most likely be like 1% of Switch library in any case.

Miyamotoo said:
Shiken said:

Yeah, but point is that really only dev would want to release game just for one kind revision and where huge part of install base cant play that game.

I mean there will be few games that will work only on New/Pro Switch model, like in case of 3DS model, but that will most likely be like 1% of Switch library in any case.

I am not debating the logic, I just do not see a problem with Switch pro exclusive multiplats for bigger titles.  Of course there would be drawbacks on potential sales, but that was not the question.  The question was wether or not I would be for it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
Miyamotoo said:

I am not debating the logic, I just do not see a problem with Switch pro exclusive multiplats for bigger titles.  Of course there would be drawbacks on potential sales, but that was not the question.  The question was wether or not I would be for it.

I just saying that we could have only few games like in case of New 3DS, its not like that Switch Pro/New will have any bigger effect on Switch 3rd party support.

If this thing would play PS5/Scarlett games, and was capable of doing so while being portable like a Switch, it would have to cost a lot more than $400. I doubt it could happen for less than $1200 or so, since Ninty doesn't like to lose money on hardware.

Last edited by VAMatt - on 10 December 2018

well, switch 2 has the best shot to be closer from the other 2 visually since the GC. They are focusing in achieve 4k as standard(they could improve far more I visuals if the standard was 1080, but it not seems to be the case), so, seems they wont push the maximum of visuals/effects as they could. So I cant see a lot of improvements in visuals compared to ps4 and one, just a native 4k version. If switch 2 is well designed, come in the right time(2023/2024), and new technology, it can run all ps5/scarlet games on handheld mode. yet not in 4k, 720 to 1080, but all playable on HH mode.
Well, on dock, otherwise, they could use the technology NVIDIA is starting with RTX, use DLSS to increase the resolution post rendering to until 4k to deliver almost the same visual fidelity when compared to other versions of the game. The DLSS dock will not be cheap, however, but they may offer 2 SKU at launch, one with a simple mini dock (that just streams) and other with DLSS. id go with 250$ and 400$, 2024.