By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If you´ve played both, which is the better JRPG, Dragon Quest XI or Octopath?

Curious to read your opinions, which one do you think is overall the better game?

Around the Network

Waiting for the Switch port of Dragon Quest, but I can tell you Octopath Traveller is amazing!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Dragon Quest XI without a doubt. I love Octopath, but the only thing it has going for it over DQ is the artstyle and maybe the music, but that's extremely close. DQ was an incredible experience, up there with the best in it's series (DQV still takes it for me though). I played through on 3DS and will gladly pick up again on the Switch when it comes

Played half of DQXI and then Octopath and now back to DQXI. If you love JRPGs, DQXI is the perfect game for you. Octopath is also a pretty fun JRPG but the repetitive combat and text story isn't as fun. Of course DQXI has tons of text too, every time something changes there is new text to read.

Somewhat related note: MHW gets Game Awards best RPG over both - when it's barely an RPG. XC2/Torna wasn't even on the list - despite launching too late for last year's show.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

Dragon Quest 11, not even a contest

StuOhQ said:
Somewhat related note: MHW gets Game Awards best RPG over both - when it's barely an RPG. XC2/Torna wasn't even on the list - despite launching too late for last year's show.

Yeah, is Monster Hunter really competing in the same category as DQXI, Octopath..classic JRPGs?...feels weird, MHW has nothing at all in common with those games except they´re from Japan.

DQ11 by a long shot.

Octopath's OST is on another level though. Simply phenomenal. 

Easy question. Dragon Quest Xi is the best JRPG since Persona 5.
The world, the characters, gameplay, the story and details, ect better than Octopath.

Dragon Quest 11 is like a wonderful journey and big experience :)

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 07 December 2018

I thought Octopath was okay, DQXI was much better.

Of course i'm a long time DQ fan so i may be biased.