By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Epic Games announces Epic Games Store

Who is your favorite PC Digital Distributor?

Steam 16 57.14%

GOG 11 39.29%

Origin 0 0%

Uplay 0 0%

Betheseda.net 0 0%

Blizzard/Battle.net 0 0%

itch.io 1 3.57%

Other 0 0%

Total:28

All of this makes me wonder: if PC gaming becomes overly fragmented between digital distibution platforms, would we see someone rekindling physical releases on PC? No DRM, no download times, just buy the DVD and install it. Maybe it's too late for even that, but hey, one can hope.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
All of this makes me wonder: if PC gaming becomes overly fragmented between digital distibution platforms, would we see someone rekindling physical releases on PC? No DRM, no download times, just buy the DVD and install it. Maybe it's too late for even that, but hey, one can hope.

The other thing I've largely been taking notice of, the lack of mod support. Steam seems to be the only one with actual built in mod support. only 2 of Beth's games come with built in mod support, and no other client out there features modding support either.

Acti moved CoD to Battle.net, in turn it's become an always online digital coffee coaster (because it will once those servers go down), while costing nearly £60 (up to 3 times as expensive on PC as most games would go for). Beth has done this with F76 as well, so in turn, this fragmentation and style of "competition" hasn't given me any benefits at all, if anything it's made it far worse for me. 

I'm not really a fan of having to use more than up to 4 clients, and I already find 4 clients a cluttering mess. 

Also, another thing. People seem to forget that Tencent own a lot of Epic's shares, and so far Tencent do not have a client storefront in the West, so by default, Epic's new client could become Tencent's proxy in the West. I know how Tencent see Steam ads their enemy, and will do anything to Steal Steam's thunder (for their own gain, not the consumer's) 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

At least it wil be good for devs. 88% of the revenue with even a bigger share if they use unreal engine 4 is nice.

NobleTeam360 said:
Hm, seems like there's a lot of store clients on PC as it is. Do we really need another one? And from a dev who hasn't really made any games since Gears (as far as I can recall and no, fuck Fortnite)

I believe Fortnite will stay here for years to come. F2P games can remain lucrative and kickin for 10+ years. Look at League of Legends, 10 years old and still in the top 5 biggest PC games in yearly revenue. Riot Games doesn't even need to make a new game with the money they get from LoL, even though they now are developing a new project.

Last edited by CuCabeludo - on 05 December 2018

Chazore said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Also, another thing. People seem to forget that Tencent own a lot of Epic's shares, and so far Tencent do not have a client storefront in the West, so by default, Epic's new client could become Tencent's proxy in the West. I know how Tencent see Steam ads their enemy, and will do anything to Steal Steam's thunder (for their own gain, not the consumer's) 

Dammit, that's true. Compared to Tencent, Steam is an innocent lamb, so I really dread the idea of Epic turning into Tencent's key to the western PC market.

If Tencent's going all in for this, though, they could put bot League of Legends and Fortnite in their service. That's huge, bigger than anything Steam has by far.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Oh God… not another one -.-
I already got:
Steam
Battle.net
Origin
Uplay
Social Club
Windows Store
all on my PC. -.-
Thanks to (whoever listens) that Windows Games Live died..

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Darwinianevolution said:

Physical games on PC are dead will never comeback. Plus devs get a bigger share of a game sold digitally than physically.

Faelco said:
Zkuq said:
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, this sounds pretty neat, but on the other hand, Steam is pretty good and I don't want the market to become even more fractured than it already is.

Steam is actually pretty terrible and could cause a crisis in the video game market, especially because of the out-of-control inflation in the number of games on the platform. Developers compare this possible crisis to 1983 and call it the indiepocalypse, because a lot of indie developers could disappear (mostly on Steam and mobile).

Otherwise, sure, Steam is pretty good for the customers. But I could understand why some developers could be interested in alternatives. But not sure if this one will be able to get big enough, like all the other ones who tried and failed...

Eh. I don't know about that. I don't see anything that could threaten the industry in the large scale.

BasilZero said:
Zkuq said:
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, this sounds pretty neat, but on the other hand, Steam is pretty good and I don't want the market to become even more fractured than it already is.

Its gonna be more fractured as more companies will want their own share of the pie. This is as inevitable as more games, IPs and companies focusing on GaaS.

I know, I know. It just sucks.

BasilZero said:
Mar1217 said:
What's with compagnies making a one hit wonder game suddenly transforming themselves into a PC market app

Epic Games is owned by Tencent - they arent just a one hit wonder game company.

Hmm, I had already forgotten that. Now I know what to think about this: I don't like this. Rainbow Six Siege almost got screwed, probably mostly because of China, and now we're going to have a distribution platform with a huge Chinese company behind it. I'm not expecting many real problems but if it has an effect, it will almost certainly be a bad one.

Another Storefront? Well maybe this might give Valve a kick up the ass and make Half Life 3, Portal 3 and Left 4 Dead 3.. Because right now with Windows Store growing and Battle.net gaining Activisions games, Steam is starting to look a little weak on the games front. Competitive prices are nice however that's not going to hold up long for Valve as others will start matching or offering better deals.

Fingers Cross this is a push for Steam to start becoming more attractive again. As for Epics Storefront, I hold no interests in it as of yet.

Azzanation said:
Another Storefront? Well maybe this might give Valve a kick up the ass and make Half Life 3, Portal 3 and Left 4 Dead 3.. Because right now with Windows Store growing and Battle.net gaining Activisions games, Steam is starting to look a little weak on the games front. Competitive prices are nice however that's not going to hold up long for Valve as others will start matching or offering better deals.

Fingers Cross this is a push for Steam to start becoming more attractive again. As for Epics Storefront, I hold no interests in it as of yet.

Maybe it might give MS a right heavy kick up the arse to completely sort out their storefront and get more PC only games going. 

Steam has a bigger library going than the MS store, so let's not kid ourselves into giving MS more pats across the back, for what little they do for PC gaming. Steam by far still has more features and built in modding for PC games, MS store does not.

Also Activision only has two games on B.net, which are both online and have a defined limited lifespan, L4D 1-2/Tf2/HL/Portal do not.

Also CoD went for more than full price on B.net, so no "competitive" pricing there at all, same for the MS store and Uplay/Origin. The only one actually being decently competitive is GoG.

Also"matching"?, yeah, when's that going to actually happen for once?. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"