By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PR: Nintendo Switch Best Selling week Ever (US) (8.2mil+Sold Switches LTD) [Update: 8.6mil+]

Baddman said:
colafitte said:
This PR has been an absolute disaster that makes more wrong than good....

It's only a disaster to people who take these things too seriously.  But I shouldn't be surprised I've seen make a big deal over worse

I am having fun myself. It is interesting to watch. 

Around the Network
quickrick said:
pikashoe said:

Why didn't November last year include cyber Monday?

It was tracked for December NPD.

That seems strange most of that week was still in November.

Baddman said:
colafitte said:
This PR has been an absolute disaster that makes more wrong than good....

It's only a disaster to people who take these things too seriously.  But I shouldn't be surprised I've seen make a big deal over worse

Yeah... i guess you're right. Still a shame that we can't discuss things like this correctly, it is the main reason why i come to forums like this...it's a stupid hobby, but a hobby i like nonetheless....

I don't have anything to add to this thread, I just need to tag so it's easier to read. Hi everyone

colafitte said:
Baddman said:

Yeah... i guess you're right. Still a shame that we can't discuss things like this correctly, it is the main reason why i come to forums like this...it's a stupid hobby, but a hobby i like nonetheless....

agreed . I wasn't referring to you btw you seem cool in the topics I've seen you in

Around the Network
colafitte said:
Baddman said:

I dont think it's a disaster at all. People will dismiss the numbers because there to low to believe when NPD comes reality will sink in and hopefully people  can learn to trust Nintendo numbers instead of treating them like a joke when they are low only of course. 

I guess..., that my final conclusion after all the discussion is that i believe that 8'2M number, and that i believe the numbers leaked from NPD too. It's probable that Nintendo saying "more than 8'2M" could be 8'28, so close to 8'3 too. Maybe that 7'38M figure leaked from NPD ir more close to 7'30....So one way or another, with 5 days left from November, Switch must have done 900k-1000k after CM day. If you count those 5 days left, it probably be around 1'1M sold in November. Considering last year sold around 750k-800k that's around a 50% growth YOY, a very very good number, more if you consider most stock will be ready in December for Smash.

What i want to add is, that if Switch has to reach that 20M goal, they need at least around 11M shipped this quarter. USA has to be near half of those shipments, so around 5M shipped units from Oct-Dec. If in October it sold 255K and in November 1100k, that's around 1350k before December. December needs to be really huge, around to 2'0-2'5M sold to reach the target (There's always stock left from the shipments at the end of the year, in this case i expect Nintendo to ship 1-1'5M more than what they sell in USA). Last year Switch sold around 1'4M in December....Smash could make Switch reach 2M, but more than that i feel it will be really difficult.

Last edited by colafitte - on 29 November 2018

RolStoppable said:
pikashoe said:

That seems strange most of that week was still in November.

Here's how it works:

NPD doesn't track from first day of any given month to last day of the same month, but in either four or five weeks that start on Sundays. The first two months of any given quarter are 4-week-periods, the final month of any given quarter is a 5-week-period. That amounts to 52 weeks of tracking, or 364 days. This means every year has either one missing day or two if it's a leap year. Eventually that creates a misalignment of which weeks go to which month, such as the specific case you are talking about. NPD corrects this by changing the January tracking period to five weeks every five or six years depending on a specific rule. January 2018 was such a month, so this year the weeks of any given period align much closer with their respective months again.

quickrick said:

I dont think it's a disaster at all. People will dismiss the numbers because there to low to believe when NPD comes reality will sink in and hopefully people  can learn to trust Nintendo numbers instead of treating them like a joke when they are low only of course. 

I hope you realize that this works the other way around as well: People want the LTD number to be true because it suits their bias.

Yesterday I've responded to a post that outlined a previous big mistake in Nintendo's PR, and I did the maths if it's more likely or not that the current PR contains a mistake. That post wasn't challenged by anyone, either because nobody wants to do any maths or because it's more convenient to believe the 8.2m figure if no maths are done.

i did challenge it. 

"what Rolstoppable   wrote is  speculation nobody knows what switch did last year during those 5 days last year, it could be anywhere from 270-400 that's something we will never know, what we do know is nintendo gave a LTD for switch in the US, and it nintendo have never giving a false LTD in the US before, or a LTD for the US with missing numbers, it has never happened before, i don't see any reason to doubt these numbers and not trust Nintendo."

RolStoppable said:

The one line in the current PR that nobody seems to have paid attention to is "Switch hardware grew by 115 percent compared to the same period last year." Since it isn't noted otherwise, this period should refer to Thanksgiving to Cyber Monday.

1. Looking at VGC's estimates for Black Friday week in 2017 (472k) and taking NPD results from last November into account (770k), it seems reasonable to assign ~400k to the five-day-period in 2017. So if 400k is the base value and sales grew by 115%, the result is 860k. Known NPD LTD for Switch through October 2018 is 7.38m (4.88m LTD in 2017, 2.50m in 2018). Adding 0.86m to 7.38m results in 8.24m or "more than 8.2m." This means all the rest of the November tracking period is unaccounted for in the announced LTD figure.

2. An alternative is that Switch performed notably worse than 400k during the five-day-period last year which would in turn raise its sales levels in the other weeks of the November NPD tracking period, all of which were before Black Friday. If we assign 300k as the new base value, the remaining weeks in 2017 average ~160k. What this means for 2018 is that 645k Switch consoles were sold during the five-day-period and the preceding two weeks average ~110k to get to a total of 860k and have a fully accounted for Switch LTD figure of "more than 8.2m." What we are looking at in this scenario is significantly lower momentum leading up to Black Friday week despite the preceding October NPD tracking periods showing average weekly sales of ~75k in 2017 and ~65k in 2018.

3. Running the middleground for completion's sake, 350k as the base value results in ~750k for the five-day-period in 2018, leaving a weekly average of only ~55k for the two preceding weeks of the November tracking period, if the PR's announced "more than 8.2m" figure doesn't leave any days out. That makes less sense than scenario 2.

Scenario 1 makes the most sense.

I had this discussion with Acevil who said the same in other thread and i said to him, that i find it possible but that i don't believe that's what happened. If we start believing some numbers from the PR are wrong, then we can not believe any of them. That's was my point a few pages earlier.

I think the number is right, is just that we don't know how good that 5 days are. To me that makes more sense. Is not bias, is just i can't believe Nintendo will make such an stupid mistake.

Last edited by colafitte - on 29 November 2018

How are you guys getting your numbers? According to VG Chartz Switch sold near 500k from Thanksgiving to Black Friday in 2017. So that would put it at about 1.1 million for 2018. Which for the Month of November would put it close to 1.5 million.

Week 1- 70k

Week 2- 83k

Week 3- Guesstimate 150k (Pokémon Release)

Week 4- Holiday Week 1.1 Million (all numbers approximate)

Week 5- Lets say 100k but may be higher

Total November would be approx. 1.5 million in the USA only.