By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Since LoD is talked on this site I decided to finally play it

BraLoD said:
SammyGiireal said:

I can imagine but sometimes the first RPG you play is the one that sticks with you. Wild Arms in my case I rate the game highly maybe others hated it lol.

It was not my first RPG.

I had a Master System before the PlayStation.

I played a friend's SNES before it.

Another friend's Gameboy.

And even another friend's PlayStation before I got mine.

I was turning from 7 to 8 years old when I played it but I had already played a lot of games, including some RPGs. In fact Pokemon was my favorite series by then.

It was the first RPG with that kind of scale I played, though.

I had never played anything like that before.

That was my point at that young age LOD was probably the first one that stuck with you. I had played Zelda and Zelda 2 before WA but I was too young to get into them at the time, by the time I played Wild Arms  I was 11-12.Icould understand and master all of the mechanics and had the patience to get through the story. 

Around the Network

I tried the game a while ago. And it was just... meh. Felt really boring and generic. I think I put about 10 hours into it and just gave up. And now... I don't remember a thing about it. I just remember thinking it was like other RPGs but not as good, so I might as well just play one of those.

BraLoD said:
Darashiva said:

In the end its just differing opinions, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm guessing everyone has those games they rate much higher than average, LoD just happens to be the one I always found to be far better than what the average score would suggest. 

That's more or less it really. There doesn't really seem to be a general consensus about LoD, like there are for a lot of other games. Naturally people will disagree about the quality of a pretty much any game, but I'm not sure how often that opinion differs to quite as huge a degree as it does with LoD. There are other titles like that for sure, but I feel like they are much more uncommon in general. 

Yep, there will always be different opinions but mostly a consensus, LoD is on the rarer size of it where there is simply not.

For instance Sony itself hates the game, lol.

But one thing is for certain, around the time I joined online forums 10 years ago up until now, the game has been WAY more praised then it was before.

Not saying it was me, lol, but it really did become way more respected from what I remember readings from old threads/boards back then.

One factor is surely its release on PSN in Japan 2010 and specially later in 2012 when it came out in the US too. Then came the PS4 rumors and all that was fuel for some hope and speculation.

Now its widely considered a hidden gem or at least cult classic.

Interestingly LoDs cult following grew during the fall of the JRPG as a mainstream genre. I imagine playing LoD today for those who weren't near adulthood in the late 90s is like a revelation as there are very few if any JRPGs that can match the production values of the game. Even in the late 90s early 00s were JRPGs ruled LoD was known for its production Values.

BraLoD said:
SammyGiireal said:

Interestingly LoDs cult following grew during the fall of the JRPG as a mainstream genre. I imagine playing LoD today for those who weren't near adulthood in the late 90s is like a revelation as there are very few if any JRPGs that can match the production values of the game. Even in the late 90s early 00s were JRPGs ruled LoD was known for its production Values.

Good times when Sony had the balls to rival Final Fantasy...

Sony can probably out do Square now, FF pretty much stopped being FF after 10 but JRPGs are no longer worth the trouble or investment unless we are talking about the forever in development FFVII remake. For what is worth Horizon Zero Dawn (Sony) is better than probably anything Square has done since FFX. 

BraLoD said:
SammyGiireal said:

Sony can probably out do Square now, FF pretty much stopped being FF after 10 but JRPGs are no longer worth the trouble or investment unless we are talking about the forever in development FFVII remake. For what is worth Horizon Zero Dawn (Sony) is better than probably anything Square has done since FFX. 

FFXII was a masterpiece, and it's actually my favorite, I'm not one of those X is where it derrailed people

Anyway, of course they can, but they just won't.

WRPGs are hot stuff and Sony already found success with it, so there it'll stay, sadly. (Horizon was amazing, tho)

Even FF turned Western, but FFXII was a very good RPG it wasn't FF though only in name. The music resembled Star Wars more than it did Uematsu's work. FF's spirit died when Sakaguchi left ( more like was forced to leave). FFXII however is probably Squares last great big time RPG. Even Enix caught the bug, Star Ocean stinks these days. The genre has been relegated to protable machines, the Switch might see a small revival though. Octopath was somewhat successful and Grandia 1-2 remasters are coming. The Tales Series continues the good fight as does the Xeno series. Ni No Kuni and others grace consoles now and then. So all hope it's not gone, but games like HZD, Witcher, Elderscrolls, GTA, etc command the high budgets. Let's see how KH3 does critically it might reignite some of the fire the genre lost.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
So @m0ney, did you get past that battle?

Yes sir. But I'm having problem with hitting those combat quick time buttons, just when I think I finally got it I start failing again, I guess it's to do with playing on a PSP.

So far my fav thing about this game is the visuals.

I'm annoyed by the typical step brother and sister sexual tension, did really every JRPG need that?

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

BraLoD said:

So did you get out of Hoax? Are you able to do "that" now?

Yes, but not tried it yet outside the tutorial, I only play before sleep, if I don't get sidetracked by a few other games..

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

BraLoD said:
d21lewis said:
Maybe I'm in the minority but I really didn't like this game back then. I thought the story sucked and the translation was terrible. Graphics and music were incredible, though. Maybe because it was called "Final Fantasy Killer" and I loved the FF series. Whatever it was, this game never reached epic status for me.

Did you finish it?

Honestly the story is very good.

English translation is not on the good side, though it was never really a problem to me as a non-native speaker. Some of the acting on the CGs were pretty amauter tho, kinda awkward.

Yeah, I finished. I even still have the memory card from back in the day (complete with LoD sticker from PSM magazine!). If I remember correctly, I failed to find one of the character's Dragoon powers but I still managed to beat it. I even find myself singing the ending theme (along with ffviii and Chrono Cross) from time to time.

To me, it was a mid tier RPG with top tier production values. I don't even think it got the best reviews but I won't begrudge anyone who loves it. I definitely have my share of beloved games that others just don't care for.

LoD isn't talked about in VGC, BraLoD talks about it in almost every thread on VGC and we tease him whenever we can.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:
LoD isn't talked about in VGC, BraLoD talks about it in almost every thread on VGC and we tease him whenever we can.

People actually report me when I bring LoD to their non-LoD threads, lol.

I'm just bringing you all wisdom.

Some people are just to much uptight.

Every thread should be LoD welcoming.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."