By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ugliest retail-released PS4/Xbone/Switch games

PUBG is one of the worst looking games I've seen the past few years. I may be a bit of a graphics whore but many Wii games look better to me.



Around the Network
Ultravolt said:

I wouldn't say these games are the absolute ugliest on their respective consoles, but they definitely could've looked better.

Switch - LA Noire. It's not a terrible looking game, but it's by far the ugliest game I own for the Switch. The only time it looks good is when i'm interviewing suspects.

Xbox One - PUBG. Need I say more? Looks horrendous. Not sure if it had a physical release, though.

PS4 - I'm gonna get a lot of flak for saying this, but I think Bloodborne could've looked a bit better. I've seen better looking games that manage to run in 60fps.

I don't have real answer but I'm gonna mock yours for a moment.

LA Noire looks much more polished then something like... Wolfenstein II. Also, lets remember Monster Hunter is on Switch and it looks like a 6th gen game with better textures.

PUBG looks a lot better with the current patches, but its still below average. The resolution is fine (native 1080p/4K) and the foliage looks pretty great. But texture quality is inconsistent and models are last gen. I hate to say it but Halo 5's graphics can be mix of very impressive to ugly, depending on the mode and map.

I wasn't impressed with Bloodborne but it doesn't look bad, kinda just middling and what I expect from Japan. Tony Hawk 5 comes to mind for both 8th gen consoles. KOF deserves an honorable mention for being incredibly bland. The next Samurai Shodown looks gorgeous in comparison.



Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

When the Life of Black Tiger wins over PUBG and Minecraft (it isn't uglier) then OP can consider even the most bizarre indie game and still have PUBG and Minecraft competing for ugliest (even more if we consider games people actually play in considerable quantity).



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Mr Puggsly said:

I don't have real answer but I'm gonna mock yours for a moment.

LA Noire looks much more polished then something like... Wolfenstein II. Also, lets remember Monster Hunter is on Switch and it looks like a 6th gen game with better textures.

PUBG looks a lot better with the current patches, but its still below average. The resolution is fine (native 1080p/4K) and the foliage looks pretty great. But texture quality is inconsistent and models are last gen. I hate to say it but Halo 5's graphics can be mix of very impressive to ugly, depending on the mode and map.

I wasn't impressed with Bloodborne but it doesn't look bad, kinda just middling and what I expect from Japan. Tony Hawk 5 comes to mind for both 8th gen consoles. KOF deserves an honorable mention for being incredibly bland. The next Samurai Shodown looks gorgeous in comparison.

Ah, I'd forgotten about those two, definitely both contenders.

 

DonFerrari said:
When the Life of Black Tiger wins over PUBG and Minecraft (it isn't uglier) then OP can consider even the most bizarre indie game and still have PUBG and Minecraft competing for ugliest (even more if we consider games people actually play in considerable quantity).

Life of Black Tiger didn't get a retail release, at least not to my knowledge. I welcome you to provide examples of retail-released games that look worse than those listed already, that is after all what this thread is for. :)

Chrizum said:
PUBG is one of the worst looking games I've seen the past few years. I may be a bit of a graphics whore but many Wii games look better to me.

Agreed, I'd go so far as to say I find the most visually well-designed Wii games, stuff like Mario Galaxy, Muramasa, Metroid Prime 3, Sonic Colours, or Kirby's Epic Yarn look better than a lot of current gen titles.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 November 2018

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't have real answer but I'm gonna mock yours for a moment.

LA Noire looks much more polished then something like... Wolfenstein II. Also, lets remember Monster Hunter is on Switch and it looks like a 6th gen game with better textures.

PUBG looks a lot better with the current patches, but its still below average. The resolution is fine (native 1080p/4K) and the foliage looks pretty great. But texture quality is inconsistent and models are last gen. I hate to say it but Halo 5's graphics can be mix of very impressive to ugly, depending on the mode and map.

I wasn't impressed with Bloodborne but it doesn't look bad, kinda just middling and what I expect from Japan. Tony Hawk 5 comes to mind for both 8th gen consoles. KOF deserves an honorable mention for being incredibly bland. The next Samurai Shodown looks gorgeous in comparison.

Ah, I'd forgotten about those two, definitely both contenders.

 

DonFerrari said:
When the Life of Black Tiger wins over PUBG and Minecraft (it isn't uglier) then OP can consider even the most bizarre indie game and still have PUBG and Minecraft competing for ugliest (even more if we consider games people actually play in considerable quantity).

Life of Black Tiger didn't get a retail release, at least not to my knowledge. I welcome you to provide examples of retail-released games that look worse than those listed already, that is after all what this thread is for. :)

Chrizum said:
PUBG is one of the worst looking games I've seen the past few years. I may be a bit of a graphics whore but many Wii games look better to me.

Agreed, I'd go so far as to say I find the most visually well-designed Wii games, stuff like Mario Galaxy, Muramasa, Metroid Prime 3, Sonic Colours, or Kirby's Epic Yarn look better than a lot of current gen titles.

I don't think like I'm able to live up to the challenge. At least I have never bought a game as ugly as PUBG. Even 16-bit collections without any remastering are prettier than it.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

PUBG.



Troll and I.



A random indie game on their respective online shops.



My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
A random indie game on their respective online shops.

Retail-released only, so no digital-only indie releases allowed. ;)



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

ResilientFighter said:
Fortnite battle royal

Yeah, it may not be technologically shoddy but I struggle to think of a major game from the last few years with a more generic, bland, and soulless art style.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.