By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fallout 76 Review Thread - Opencritic: 55, Metacritic 50

Before X1X launch:
Xbox fans: DF is biased
PS4 fans: no they arent
After X1X launch
PS4 fans: DF is biased
Xbox fans: no they arent

edit: in honesty, no, theyre not biased in any way. People see what they want to see.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/fallout-76/BX3DSPQPVNQR?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Bomba confirmed

Didin't MS have the marketing rights for this and now their version of the game is on sale after just one week. The last time something like this happened was sunset overdrive but this is even worse.

flashfire926 said:

Before X1X launch:
After X1X launch

edit: in honesty, no, theyre not biased in any way. People see what they want to see.

Nope, see my post and check vgc older threads or several DF articles and you'll see it. One of the staff was pretty much framed for doing a lot of pro-MS pamphletage.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

shikamaru317 said:
John2290 said:

I have no idea how you can praise GoW and F76 in thd space of a year. It's good that  you're njoying it, it means you aren't one oc the unlucky many but c'mon man. Standards. Have some standards.  

I'm a Fallout fan and I went in with appropriate expectations (expecting a AA multiplayer Fallout game by a new, untested developer), it's as simple as that. Do I think it's amazing and that it deserved some award nominations at The Game Awards next month? No, of course not (well maybe a best soundtrack nomination because Inon Zur killed it, easily one of the top 2 soundtracks I have heard this year). But neither do I think it is terrible like the critics seem to, I'd say it's at least above average. It's far from the best game I have played this year. but that doesn't mean it is bad because I have mainly played good-amazing games this year (DragonBall FighterZ, Far Cry 5, God of War 4, Detroit, Spider-Man, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AC Odyssey, RDR2), but I am enjoying it more than a few other games I tried this year like Monster Hunter World and Sea of Thieves (neither is bad per se, they just weren't my type of game). 

It's also worth noting that I rented Fallout 76 from Gamefly, if I had paid $60 for it like every previous Fallout and Elder Scrolls game since TES 4 in 2006, I would probably be a bit more disappointed than I am. 

How is it as a single player game? I enjoy simply exploring the map so the absence of a story is not a problem. Is the world still fun to explore like in Fallout 4? Can you play without interference from other online players? (Can you play offline?) I always enjoy the stories hidden around the map in Fallout games and at a discount I would still pick this up. Give me an interesting map to explore and I'm happy. A good soundtrack is always appreciated as well!

shikamaru317 said:
John2290 said:

I have no idea how you can praise GoW and F76 in thd space of a year. It's good that  you're njoying it, it means you aren't one oc the unlucky many but c'mon man. Standards. Have some standards.  

I'm a Fallout fan and I went in with appropriate expectations (expecting a AA multiplayer Fallout game by a new, untested developer), it's as simple as that. Do I think it's amazing and that it deserved some award nominations at The Game Awards next month? No, of course not (well maybe a best soundtrack nomination because Inon Zur killed it, easily one of the top 2 soundtracks I have heard this year). But neither do I think it is terrible like the critics seem to, I'd say it's at least above average. It's far from the best game I have played this year. but that doesn't mean it is bad because I have mainly played good-amazing games this year (DragonBall FighterZ, Far Cry 5, God of War 4, Detroit, Spider-Man, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AC Odyssey, RDR2), but I am enjoying it more than a few other games I tried this year like Monster Hunter World and Sea of Thieves (neither is bad per se, they just weren't my type of game). 

It's also worth noting that I rented Fallout 76 from Gamefly, if I had paid $60 for it like every previous Fallout and Elder Scrolls game since TES 4 in 2006, I would probably be a bit more disappointed than I am. 

Is the game playable solo? I don’t really have gaming online friends (cuz I’m very fickle and basically stop talking to ppl the second I switch to a new game, so I don’t maintain gaming online friendships. I reserve my efforts in maintaining relationships of RL friends/family). 

I’m in a gaming slump right now and I’m not averse to wasting 60bucks on a game if I don’t end up enjoying it. I bought RDR2 full price and I havent’ gotten out of the snow area yet lol.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
John2290 said:

I'm glad you as a fan enjoyed the game and were aware of limitations so kept your expectations in check and also is aware that it is on a league below some of the great games you played. The only thing I disagree is you using the rent of the game as some excuse, because you could have rented all the games you played, comparisons need to be made on ceteris paribus. Anyway, even though the game was reviewed bad by "professionals" and several users, it's totally acceptable that several fans and even newcomers liked the game. But going from there to say the critics are being unfair because they should have gave leeway on it being a new dev and you paying less isn't really the way.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

flashfire926 said:

Before X1X launch:
After X1X launch

lol exactly. Do people get these theories from those stupid YouTube personalities? How can you possibly even be biased when dealing with factual analysis? 

Playstation 4: 50 with 20 reviews

Xbox One: 52 with 12 reviews

PC: 55 with 19 reviews

Yeah, I think this game will stay around the 50s. Even reaching 60 will be difficult.

John2290 said:
You know your "AAA" game is shit when IGN and Gamestop rate with less than 60 but when go to 50 and even 40... ya done screwed up.

Yep, it's very hard for then to give these kind of scores.

LudicrousSpeed said:
flashfire926 said:

Before X1X launch:
After X1X launch

lol exactly. Do people get these theories from those stupid YouTube personalities? How can you possibly even be biased when dealing with factual analysis? 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-does-resolution-really-matter yep no Damage Control... an editor from THE publication that do face-offs and focus a lot on resolution difference (which they used to declare X360 version superior on less than 80p difference, but on 720p vs 1080p is irrelevant) questioning the people that chose PS4 due to resolution and wants to prove resolution doesn't really matter. And you can look for much more from Leadbetter.

DonFerrari said:
John2290 said:
You know your "AAA" game is shit when IGN and Gamestop rate with less than 60 but when go to 50 and even 40... ya done screwed up.

Yep, it's very hard for then to give these kind of scores.

LudicrousSpeed said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-does-resolution-really-matter yep no Damage Control... an editor from THE publication that do face-offs and focus a lot on resolution difference (which they used to declare X360 version superior on less than 80p difference, but on 720p vs 1080p is irrelevant) questioning the people that chose PS4 due to resolution and wants to prove resolution doesn't really matter. And you can look for much more from Leadbetter.

Theyre right, resolution doesnt actually matter. You cant go wrong with either console.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.