Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony will not be at E3 2019 for the first time!!!

Intrinsic said:
EricHiggin said:
The only way I see PS getting away with holding off to announce PS5 until 2020, is if they pack 2019 with first party AAA exclusives. That alone should be enough with all the third party and indy games in between, to keep people happy and busy enough that they don't really notice the lack of events. PS4 price drops would also help.

Otherwise if next year isn't that much different than this year in terms of first party exclusives, then I would assume the PSX event will be a huge 25th anniversary celebration with the full PS5 reveal. Whether it launched soon after or in early 2020, I don't think it would matter too much if PS4 is locked at $199 by then.

Thats the thing though. By the end of this year the PS4 should firmly over 90M consoles sold to consumers. What possible point do they have to prove anymore as far as the PS4 is concerned?

I also expect that the new PS4 price is going to be locked to $199 for all of 2019. They can just sit back and let it trickle 10M worth of sales for all of 2019 and it will probably do betier than that anyways.

They put everything off and announce a PS5 in december 2019 to launch in march 2020 and all will be forgiven. 

They don't have anything to prove in terms of PS4 anymore, but pushing in the clutch is one thing, never shifting into another gear, even one or two lower, for miles, is another. I think they'll drop PS4 to $249 early 2019, maybe bundled, and then officially announce $199 just before, or sometime during the PS5 reveal.

As long as they reveal before the year is over. Even though Feb 2020 would only be a couple months away, if they waited to reveal until then, assuming a holiday launch, I think an entire year gap in between 2018 and 2019 without a flood of heavy hitting games would lead to a breakdown in brand loyalty and hype for some. It also leaves the door wide open for MS and Nin, and they would be fools not to try and take major advantage of it in whatever way they can. With an early 2020 launch, PS needs to make sure they announce the price with enough notice before xmas, so interested gamers can then leave the tree a little bare and march right into PS5 at launch.

Around the Network
Rab said:
Sony wants what Nintendo have, can't blame them

Can you elaborate?

OT:

Kinda sad though. E3 is always a yearly event for me watching and expecting new announcement especially for my preferred console. 

There’s two side of the coin in here.

1st one is very scary for it’s competitor, silence is deafining. While the other one is screaming like crazy and showcasing their ammos. While Sony is very silent preparing to counter attack with their special ammo.

2nd one is they really don’t have anything to showcase anymore for PS4 and all the bullets have been used so they don’t have anything to showcase anymore and they are prepping up for 2020. The last few game/s announcments are VGA and the fan meeting of Japan studio.

My sentiments here lies that Sony really made a bad move in closing their studios.

Zipper, evolution, GG cambridge, liver pool. Instead of closing them they should have stick with it and asked them to create new ip that they want to make. Letting go of Ready at Dawn when order game didn’t fly th charts.

Not giving Japan studios the proper funds to make games. PS4 this late is the perfect time to realease more new ips. PS4 install base is large and with how big social media are then it can generate hype.

This is very strange. Sony have been at E3 every previous transitional year, if 2019 turns out to be one. But it sounds like they're doing this in order to present things to us in a different way, or a different event.
But as someone else pointed out, this means that a lot of high profile multiplats will be showcased on Microsoft's stage, giving them a much better E3 presentation than they normally would have. And (to some people) essentially making it appear as if those games are Xbox exclusives, or associated with Xbox.

Unless Microsoft and Nintendo announce they're also leaving E3, I'm not sure about this strategy from Sony.

Errorist76 said: 

Wow..if that’s true it’ll give even more fuel for possible PS5 announcements in 2019, with a spring 2019 reveal at a separate event. 
What else could be the cause for this? So they won’t even have games to try out at E3?

Imho this clearly hints at a new, separate event. Most likely for PS’s 25th anniversary next year.

It seems strange to me that they would skip out on E3 to reveal it at one of their own events. They first showcased the PS4 design at E3, and that worked out just fine.

But I agree that it suggests a new type of event in some form. Though this move seems bigger than just a console reveal. Sounds like they may not come back to E3 again.

Last edited by Hiku - on 15 November 2018

Errorist76 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Well think about it like this, if Sony aren't there at all, then every AAA 3rd party game is actually going to look like an X1 exclusive, I'd wager that a drinking game for the MS show which involved even drinking a sip of water each time the word Exclusive is uttered would have you drowned at your PC.

That’s nonsense. Microsoft always try to make all the multiplatform games they show look as if they were exclusives. Gamers aren’t stupid. It’s not gonna make a difference. Microsoft better hope Sony won’t tease PS5 before E3, like that Resetera rumour suggests.

There are still going to be game announcements and lots of new trailers anyway.

In all honesty, you say gamers aren't stupid, there is a reason why exclusive was uttered so many times this last E3 by MS even though not a single game shown was actually exclusive to their platform, each game had some caveat such as exclusive for the home consoles, exclusive with certain skins.... or exclusive until someone turns to the left in the shop and sees the game on the PS4. MS's marketing team targets the stupid gamer who walks away thinking that the system does actually have a series of games which are only available on the X1, they spend millions on marketing the system as such and targeting those "stupid" gamers.

But aye, you put on an E3 show with MS and Nintendo as the only two systems there, it's gonna seem like you have 2 different options for games and all those things like Madden, WWE, Call of duty, Battlefield, Star Wars all those games... they're only gonna be on one stage and will all likely have a giant EXCLUSIVE sign on the trailer in 10 foot tall lettering alongside the finest of fine print which states that the game is coming with an exclusive green lootbox you can buy after launch.

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

Wyrdness said:
E3 is not that relevant the biggest launch of all time in RDR2 happened with out being at a single E3, Switch launched just fine with out even being at a single E3 before its release and most of it's momentum come from independent NDs outside of it so it's no surprise Sony follow suit as well.

Copy Nintendo way is a strong point of Sony after all

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Errorist76 said:

That’s nonsense. Microsoft always try to make all the multiplatform games they show look as if they were exclusives. Gamers aren’t stupid. It’s not gonna make a difference. Microsoft better hope Sony won’t tease PS5 before E3, like that Resetera rumour suggests.

There are still going to be game announcements and lots of new trailers anyway.

In all honesty, you say gamers aren't stupid, there is a reason why exclusive was uttered so many times this last E3 by MS even though not a single game shown was actually exclusive to their platform, each game had some caveat such as exclusive for the home consoles, exclusive with certain skins.... or exclusive until someone turns to the left in the shop and sees the game on the PS4. MS's marketing team targets the stupid gamer who walks away thinking that the system does actually have a series of games which are only available on the X1, they spend millions on marketing the system as such and targeting those "stupid" gamers.

But aye, you put on an E3 show with MS and Nintendo as the only two systems there, it's gonna seem like you have 2 different options for games and all those things like Madden, WWE, Call of duty, Battlefield, Star Wars all those games... they're only gonna be on one stage and will all likely have a giant EXCLUSIVE sign on the trailer in 10 foot tall lettering alongside the finest of fine print which states that the game is coming with an exclusive green lootbox you can buy after launch.

If I'm not mistaken, none of the multiplat games MS showed in their conference appeared on Sony presentation, and I don't think that many people thought they were exclusive to xbox. At the end of the day, Sony can still post the trailers on YouTube, show them in PS4 ads on TV and make marketing deals, which they'll most certainly do. 

"lupus in fabula, venit enim ad me."

Translation: I will always hate Fox for canceling The Exorcist.

PlayStation kicking ass so bad they can take a year off and prolly still kick ass 😂😂😂😂

wow, what a generation it has been for them.

EricHiggin said:

They don't have anything to prove in terms of PS4 anymore, but pushing in the clutch is one thing, never shifting into another gear, even one or two lower, for miles, is another. I think they'll drop PS4 to $249 early 2019, maybe bundled, and then officially announce $199 just before, or sometime during the PS5 reveal.

As long as they reveal before the year is over. Even though Feb 2020 would only be a couple months away, if they waited to reveal until then, assuming a holiday launch, I think an entire year gap in between 2018 and 2019 without a flood of heavy hitting games would lead to a breakdown in brand loyalty and hype for some. It also leaves the door wide open for MS and Nin, and they would be fools not to try and take major advantage of it in whatever way they can. With an early 2020 launch, PS needs to make sure they announce the price with enough notice before xmas, so interested gamers can then leave the tree a little bare and march right into PS5 at launch.

I disagree.

First off, sny and nintendo are not or ever really going to be in direct competition. The only person sony has to worry about is MS.

Now with MS..... what is going to happen in the next 12 months? They anounce a slew of new games for the XB1 and steal sony customers? I don't think so.

This gen is won and dusted. And thats not saying sony wuldn't still talk about any new upcoming game or release nothing for the next 12 months. We at least know dreams and days gone are coming in 2019. They literally dont have to lift a finger till they are ready to announce the PS5. And they wont have to worry about MS, cause they cant do aything either. The only card MS has left to play is the very same one sony is going to be playing now. And thats talking up next gen.

If anything what this means, especially if sony is fixing to announce the PS5 at PSX next year, is that MS will take sonys E3 absence and use that as chance to announce XB2 before sony announces the PS5. And being that they are still both going to end up launching within 2 weeks of eachother gamers will still wait for the PS5 announcement.

You seem to think sony keeping quiet will hurt them. I think them keeping quiet but announcing early of an event at the end of the year will just build hype. 

Sunstrider said:
Hope they do a Direct-like showcase for Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2.

Indeed, no doubt that Sony have very strong ability in term of copying Nintendo method as always

pxrocks said:
Launch ps5 with last of us p2.the recipe for instant success.that game going to do some serious damage to both Xbox and Nintendo.

Yeah, sure, the audience especially children who love Pokemon will play last of us p2