By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony will not be at E3 2019 for the first time!!!

i get that E3 might not be as relevant as it once was now that Nintendo Directs pepper the year, and Sony and Microsoft can pretty much just announce stuff whenever they want, but this is a pretty hard hitting decision. like, the way people felt about Apple getting rid of headphone jacks is how i feel about Sony withdrawing from E3

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I see some people saying that this means Playstation is getting ready for PS5 "sooner rather than later". Okay ... sooner than? What? 2021? That was never even on the table. 

To me this does not signal some kind of 2019 release, or even a 2019 reveal. We still have Days Gone and Dreams ... and while many would argue that The Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding will be cross-platform releases, given the fact that both were announced in 2016 and are closer to completion I really would assume a remaster for both is much more likely. 

Something like this makes sense, I think: 

Q4 2019 - TLOU2, possibly Death Stranding release

Feb 2020 - PS5 announcement, possibly Death Stranding release 

E3 2020 - huge blowout 

Holiday 2020 - release 

If I recall correctly that's basically how the PS3 ended it's run and how the PS4 was announced

So because thats how the launched the PS4 it means thats hat they are going to do again?

We know this much. They have cancelled E3 next year. Tht completely takes a fabuary 2019 reveal of the PS5 off the cards or a possible 2019 launch of the PS5.

We also know that 2019 would make their 25th anniversary. Whats the single biggest thing you think they can announce at a PSX 2019 event? Another limited edition console? No.

7nm fabrication is going into full swing next year, which means whatever is going to be in the PS5 can and will be finalized next year. 

These all point to a PSX 2019 announcement of the PS5 along with the announcement of certain games already anounced fr the PS4 to be launced  alongside the new console by march 2020.

This not only allows sony to launch the console with a good number of games but als at a higher price of $499. And the have its first unofficial price drop just a few months later in its first holiday season if demand for their isnt as hot at that higher price point.

Holy shit, calm down son! 

I'm just saying that I thought if I remembered correctly that that's how the PS4 was announced and launched, not that I know for sure the destiny of Playstation lol  

But I don't think they'd launch in 2019, nor do I think they'd announce it in February of 2019 ... in fact I never said that

You make a good point though. PSX 2019 reveal. Maybe launch in Spring or Summer?

Launch ps5 with last of us p2.the recipe for instant success.that game going to do some serious damage to both Xbox and Nintendo.

KBG29 said:
I think this is a good move. E3 is not important anymore. There are so many better ways to get information to consumers, and interact with consumers. Better to have a constant stream of big announcements throughout the year, than isolate the buzz around your platform to 1 or 2 events a year.

Even the lack of PSX this year turned out fine. We got updates on all the announced future titles, PS Now Downloads, and Cross Play. We didn't need a show to do that.

In all honesty, ever since the whole blow up against Microsoft, and the shift from E3 being a presentation, to an hour+ trailer reel, I couldn't care less about the show anyways. I loved E3 when it went over New Firmware, New Services, Hardware and Software sales, Non Gaming Content, and when Games where showed, you actually got developers on stage playing their games. Gamers killed E3 by taking the humanity out of it, and turing it into a bunch of people in a room watching YouTube.

That's the thing though. Sony has for the past few years brought the "live experiences" (the reason why a love live E3 conferences) back into their shows. With things like live music performances, changing locations, developer panels on stage, audience reactions, etc. That's why I'm pretty bummed about this news.

E3 2015 (fan reactions)

E3 2016 (live music performances)

E3 2017 (live music performances)

PSX 2017 (developer panels on stage)

E3 2018 (live music performances + locations moving away from the "passive audience watching youtube trailer reel")

Nintendo directs suck ass. STOP IT SONY! You must be at E3. But it's clear they aren't doing this suicidal move on a console launch year. PS5 2020 confirmed.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
The only way I see PS getting away with holding off to announce PS5 until 2020, is if they pack 2019 with first party AAA exclusives. That alone should be enough with all the third party and indy games in between, to keep people happy and busy enough that they don't really notice the lack of events. PS4 price drops would also help.

Otherwise if next year isn't that much different than this year in terms of first party exclusives, then I would assume the PSX event will be a huge 25th anniversary celebration with the full PS5 reveal. Whether it launched soon after or in early 2020, I don't think it would matter too much if PS4 is locked at $199 by then.

Thats the thing though. By the end of this year the PS4 should firmly over 90M consoles sold to consumers. What possible point do they have to prove anymore as far as the PS4 is concerned?

I also expect that the new PS4 price is going to be locked to $199 for all of 2019. They can just sit back and let it trickle 10M worth of sales for all of 2019 and it will probably do betier than that anyways.

They put everything off and announce a PS5 in december 2019 to launch in march 2020 and all will be forgiven. 

deskpro2k3 said:
Playstation has to bring it hard at PSX19

Screw that. Cancel shitty PSX '19 and return to E3. E3 is the show that millions tune into, breaking all sorts of streaming records last year. Bad move IMO. As cool as PSX is some times, E3 is THE hype-train that all media outlets are focused on for well over a month in advance. All eyes go to the show. It's WHY the PS4 is King this generation. How do they not understand the importance of the stage? Stupidity? Cockiness? IDGI.

atoMsons said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Screw that. Cancel shitty PSX '19 and return to E3. E3 is the show that millions tune into, breaking all sorts of streaming records last year. Bad move IMO. As cool as PSX is some times, E3 is THE hype-train that all media outlets are focused on for well over a month in advance. All eyes go to the show. It's WHY the PS4 is King this generation. How do they not understand the importance of the stage? Stupidity? Cockiness? IDGI.

Lets be honest here..... while I love E3 wht you just said is BS.

E3 was of and for  a time before the internet and Youtube and live streaming. Like lets be honest, that press conference at e3, the "millions" you rightly pointed out that tune into it do so how? Youtube? Twitch?

The simple truth is that sony..... scratch that. No one needs E3 anymore. Not in the world we live in right now.

atoMsons said:
Nintendo directs suck ass. STOP IT SONY! You must be at E3. But it's clear they aren't doing this suicidal move on a console launch year. PS5 2020 confirmed.

atoMsons said:
deskpro2k3 said:

lol calm down. There’s a reason for that and it’s most likely that they don’t want to spoil their own 25th anniversary celebration in December. Or would you prefer them to do it in a similarly disappointing fashion as Microsoft did it with X018?

suicidal move? This gen is basically over. Time to focus on the future.

Intrinsic said:
atoMsons said:

Lets be honest here..... while I love E3 wht you just said is BS.

E3 was of and for  a time before the internet and Youtube and live streaming. Like lets be honest, that press conference at e3, the "millions" you rightly pointed out that tune into it do so how? Youtube? Twitch?

The simple truth is that sony..... scratch that. No one needs E3 anymore. Not in the world we live in right now.

Really? How? Nintendo Directs don't come close to the Twitch concurrent viewership that was earned by MS, Sony, Ubi and the likes. You think PSX gets nearly as many viewers? Not even close. Remember this is just Twitch numbers being better than a dedicated Nintendo stream. Include Youtube, and other sites, it kills anything any independent stream has ever done. E3 is the King of gaming hype every year. More so now, as social media takes over. Overtaking sports, and other news for the day. Gaming hype leaks into casual and non-gamers feeds. You think Nintendo came crawling back to the E3 stage for no reason? That you don't understand the CHEAP ASF advertising they get from producing a show shocks me.