By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can PS NOW become a billion dollar annual service?

3% attachrate aint bad i could see it growing to 15% ez

Edit wait thats actually a 1% attachrate

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:

3% attachrate aint bad i could see it growing to 15% ez

Edit wait thats actually a 1% attachrate

Huh? How can we know its attach rate when it's also on PC?

VAMatt said:
Barkley said:

Surely digital games are more of a threat to GameStop than psnow? With the digital ratio climbing continually these past years.

Digitial in general, both purchase and rental, and killing GameStop.  

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Yes, those are a big threat too.  To me it's all competing with GameStop and therefore a bad idea.

I mean, I am sure it is making them good money now.  But one day GameStop will be very small or totally out of business.  And then Sony is going to be asking where their customers went.  (All of this applies to Microsoft too.)

Blockbuster was killed by digital distribution of movies.  Almost all record stores were killed by digital distribution of music.  Those industry all adapted, and the major players in  movie and music production and distribution are still the major players.

1)  Blockbuster was not killed by digital distribution.  It was killed by a combination of Redbox and movies by mail service from Netflix.  Neither one is digital distribution.

2) Record stores actually were killed by digital distribution of music.  The music industry has not recovered.  Seriously, look at the numbers if you actually care.  The music industry took a huge nosedive during the 21st century and now it is just a shell of its former self.

The digital distribution model can make the video game industry plummet in the same way that the music industry did.  No video game company wants to go the way of the music industry.

Still think it's too pricey. Think the sweet spot would be $9.99/month, or $99.99 for the year (think they ran a couple of promotions at that price before if I'm not mistaken). Would be nice if they would bundle it with PS Plus - get both for the year at $120. It's got a huge catalog, and the recent download option for PS4 and PS2 games make it more intriguing, but still think it's a way off from being a hit for Sony. Hopefully they can figure out how to add more PS1 and PS3 games and be able to download those as well.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
VAMatt said:

Digitial in general, both purchase and rental, and killing GameStop.  

Blockbuster was killed by digital distribution of movies.  Almost all record stores were killed by digital distribution of music.  Those industry all adapted, and the major players in  movie and music production and distribution are still the major players.

1) Blockbuster was not killed by digital distribution. It was killed by a combination of Redbox and movies by mail service from Netflix.  Neither one is digital distribution.

2) Record stores actually were killed by digital distribution of music.  The music industry has not recovered.  Seriously, look at the numbers if you actually care. The music industry took a huge nosedive during the 21st century and now it is just a shell of its former self.

The digital distribution model can make the video game industry plummet in the same way that the music industry did.  No video game company wants to go the way of the music industry.

1) What? Of course digital distribution of movies was the thing killing physical distribution (purchase, rental, mail service, etc).

2) And of course digital distribution of music was the thing killing physical distribution and record stores. Sure, I also miss physical media and stores once in awhile but boy, do I enjoy the ease of streaming my entertainment (music, movies, and most likely also games in a few years).

You make it sound like the music industry is close to dying. Sure, it was declining for years but all industries adapt and for the past 3 years it has been growing.

The graph below is from 2016 but according to IFPI, 2017 was the 3rd consecutive year of growth. In time, I can see the music industry fully recover and even surpass its peak from 1999.

"Figures released today in IFPI’s Global Music Report 2018 show total revenues for 2017 were US$17.3 billion.

Streaming remains the main driver of recovering revenues and, for the first time, has become the single largest revenue source with 176 million users of paid streaming services contributing to year-on-year streaming growth of 41.1%. Total digital income last year accounted for more than half of all revenue (54%) for the first time."

"Life finds a way".

Around the Network
Replicant said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

1) Blockbuster was not killed by digital distribution. It was killed by a combination of Redbox and movies by mail service from Netflix.  Neither one is digital distribution.

2) Record stores actually were killed by digital distribution of music.  The music industry has not recovered.  Seriously, look at the numbers if you actually care. The music industry took a huge nosedive during the 21st century and now it is just a shell of its former self.

1) What? Of course digital distribution of movies was the thing killing physical distribution (purchase, rental, mail service, etc).

2) And of course digital distribution of music was the thing killing physical distribution and record stores. Sure, I also miss physical media and stores once in awhile but boy, do I enjoy the ease of streaming my entertainment (music, movies, and most likely also games in a few years).

You make it sound like the music industry is close to dying. Sure, it was declining for years but all industries adapt and for the past 3 years it has been growing.

The graph below is from 2016 but according to IFPI, 2017 was the 3rd consecutive year of growth. In time, I can see the music industry fully recover and even surpass its peak from 1999.

"Figures released today in IFPI’s Global Music Report 2018 show total revenues for 2017 were US$17.3 billion.

Streaming remains the main driver of recovering revenues and, for the first time, has become the single largest revenue source with 176 million users of paid streaming services contributing to year-on-year streaming growth of 41.1%. Total digital income last year accounted for more than half of all revenue (54%) for the first time."

"Life finds a way".

1) No.  I am not sure how old you are or if you were paying attention when Blockbuster was in trouble, but it was in trouble far before Netflix even offered a streaming service.  "Of course digital distribution of movies was the thing killing physical distribution".  We are talking about Blockbuster.  It was not killed by digital distribution.

2) Your chart starts at 2006.  Most of the damage was already done by then.  Go back to the 90's or better yet to the 60's.  Also you need to adjust for inflation and population growth.  The numbers tell a very different story.  The music industry is just a hollow shell of what it used to be.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
1) No. I am not sure how old you are or if you were paying attention when Blockbuster was in trouble, but it was in trouble far before Netflix even offered a streaming service. "Of course digital distribution of movies was the thing killing physical distribution". We are talking about Blockbuster.  It was not killed by digital distribution.

2) Your chart starts at 2006. Most of the damage was already done by then. Go back to the 90's or better yet to the 60's. Also you need to adjust for inflation and population growth. The numbers tell a very different story. The music industry is just a hollow shell of what it used to be.

1) Regardless of Blockbuster, Netflix is a great example of the industry adapting to new consumer habits and demands. The home entertainment industry hasn't suffered at all since digital became big. On the contrary, digital is actually growing nearly twice as fast as physical is declining.

Box office revenue is growing as well in spite of digital and streaming.

2) I'm aware that the music industry chart starts at 2006 (it's the newest chart I could find) and that the music industry used to be a lot bigger (I even wrote that it peaked in 1999). But it has been growing for the past 3 years and I can see it fully recover eventually. It has already reached 70% of its peak and while that doesn't adjust for inflation, it's still an industry far from being dead. In fact, it was a $17.3 billion industry in 2017. And 2018 will probably be even bigger.
Digital is taking over my friend, and it isn't the end of the world.

These services are the future of gaming weather we like it or not. There's a reason MS stood firm on there Live service for so many years and increasing the library of games and availability, these services can grow to unlimited proportions.

I have a feeling that PS Now is going to take a very important role in the future, it will rapidly grow during PS5 lifetime and maybe even replace stationary consoles with PS6?