By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Classic is out & receiving "Do Not Buy" recommendations (did Sony even develop it themselves?) *updated 12/5/18

Ehh. Too bad they half-assed it. Missed opportunity.

Around the Network

Yes. It should be better for $100

Megiddo said:
No surprise there. There's no reason to buy it unless it's for collector value. Just like all the classic/mini consoles.

Nah, the NES and SNES classics are well made and have great games that hold up. Plus they are priced well. None of those seem true for this thing, outside of a couple games. 

One save state that (I think?) erases when you start playing again. Performance issues (That alone is a deal-breaker). Only 6 or so good games out of 20. No DualShock. Costs more than the competition. I mean, I love OddWorld and Final Fantasy VII, but it's a hard pass for me.

RolStoppable said:
twintail said:
They never advertised it as anything else but a working PS1 in a smaller form factor.
And that's what you've got.

Indeed. Not Sony's fault that only now it dawns on people that the PS1 was overrated.

sega and nintendo is over rated

Around the Network
KratosLives said:
RolStoppable said:

Indeed. Not Sony's fault that only now it dawns on people that the PS1 was overrated.

sega and nintendo is over rated

I agree with you both. Nintendo was great back in those days and PS1 was only "good" because it was new and different. I was never big on Sega to begin with .Only owned Genesis and Game Gear from them.

Since PS2 and GameCube the companies have gone in different directions. Sony has made strides as far as gaming experiences go. Great new franchises every generation. Nintendo comes up with new ways to play the same old stuff. To each his own .My opinion of course.

Anyway, these "classic" consoles are all cash grabs from the folks who don't know better (again, my opinion). Pay $50-$100 for 20 questionable "classics", or get at least a low end mobile phone or PC and get them all free. 

Last edited by FentonCrackshell - on 11 November 2018

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

DialgaMarine said:
To be honest, I’m not sure what these reviewers were expecting. I own both a NES and SNES classic, as well as one of those Atari Flashbacks, and none of them are all them are all that impressive. They’re more just something that is cool to own rather than a device to be taken seriously. The games, while classics, are severely old and outdated, and that’s pretty much all you get with these classic consoles.

Remember that mediocre Nintendo is awe-inspiring and mediocre everything else is just... Mediocre. I've played all these classic consoles as well and not a single one has ever been worth the price of purchase.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Medisti said:
One save state that (I think?) erases when you start playing again. Performance issues (That alone is a deal-breaker). Only 6 or so good games out of 20. No DualShock. Costs more than the competition. I mean, I love OddWorld and Final Fantasy VII, but it's a hard pass for me.

One save state per game additional to the normal saving process on a virtual memory card if I understand it correctly.

And there are more than "6 or so" good games included:

Tekken 3, MGS 1, FF7 and Syphon Filter were 90+ titles.

R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, Jumping Flash!, Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo, Battle Area Toshinden Destruction Derby, Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssey, Rayman, Wild Arms, Grand Theft Auto and Persona are also good games, most of them 80+ titles.

I personally would have kicked out Mr. Driller, Intelligent Qube (never heard of it) and Rainbow Six (worst version ever) from the selection and replaced it with better games.

It's overall a good selection of PS1 games, but I don't need that PlayStation Classic.

I already have a PlayStation Classic/mini with me all the time... with the selection of PS1 games I care about (very platformer focused) :

And if I want to play them on a big TV, I start up my PS3 (the PS1 games are PS3/PSP/Vita cross-buy)... but they look much better on a small handheld display.

Oh... and I can play many of these games using the analog sticks of the Vita or DualShock 3 controller... something that ain't possible on the PlayStation Classic.

Last edited by Conina - on 11 November 2018

Ugh... Odd list, especially Rainbow Six. Why lol