By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Classic is out & receiving "Do Not Buy" recommendations (did Sony even develop it themselves?) *updated 12/5/18

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:

Kind of.  I mean, It wouldn't have been such a smash hit had the competition not been terrible.  Still, hindsight is 20/20 and in reality the PS1 changed the landscape of gaming and allowed it to grow like never before with the greatest library of games ever to hit a console, and by a wide margin.  In that regard, its spot in history is probably underrated.  

I really, really doubt there's such a thing as an underrated PlayStation console.

That's probably true.  They are as well "rated" as the amount of hardware and software they sold and the amount of people they caused to switch over from the competition.

Around the Network

Sony knew they didn't have to try, Nintendo created a huge demand for these types of devices. PS1 classic will sell like hotcakes with almost no effort put in. Business is business

Nintendo cares about their legacy. For Sony and Sega its just a quick way to make some money. That's why you wont see much effort from them when it comes to taking care of their history.

Tomorrow I will cancel my preorder at my local store (had payment on it). This is just subpar and after the disappointment of the Neo Geo mini I am pretty much done with mini consoles (unless Nintendo wows me with the N64 mini).

Do you guys remember what it was like before the NES classic was released? There were these other retro compilation consoles put out by Sega and Atari. They were never really popular though, because the consoles weren't that great. This PS1 is more like those consoles.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Do you guys remember what it was like before the NES classic was released? There were these other retro compilation consoles put out by Sega and Atari. They were never really popular though, because the consoles weren't that great. This PS1 is more like those consoles.

You actually had some good ones though, like the C64 clone that wasn't exactly a NES on a chip like the others. You could tweak it to make it work like a normal C64. Besides those few ones, the Atari flashbacks or countless arcade plug & play ones aren't that bad. They were just limited (and cheap). The PS1 mini however, it's not cheap for what it is.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Sony knew they didn't have to try, Nintendo created a huge demand for these types of devices. PS1 classic will sell like hotcakes with almost no effort put in. Business is business

I sincerely hope this isn't the case.  Nintendo created a huge demand by releasing high quality products.  That shouldn't mean that low quality products will sell just as well.  Once a precedent is set that you don't have to try, then there is no incentive for anyone to release a quality product anymore.  That's the kind of mentality that made Warner Bros believe they could make Avengers type box office money without laying the ground work that Marvel and Disney set up in advance.  They tried to jump straight from Man of Steel into an instant set-up for Justice League, and the response was so poor the entire DCEU got scrapped.  Laziness doesn't always pay-off just by copying success.  You have to put the effort in.  I'm hoping Sony learns the same hard lesson as Warner Bros in this instance.

OTBWY said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

You actually had some good ones though, like the C64 clone that wasn't exactly a NES on a chip like the others. You could tweak it to make it work like a normal C64. Besides those few ones, the Atari flashbacks or countless arcade plug & play ones aren't that bad. They were just limited (and cheap). The PS1 mini however, it's not cheap for what it is.

Hmmm...never saw that C64 clone.  I might have to check that one out. 

All these retro systems are trash and this Sony one might be the worse of the bunch. (maybe the Genesis one)

The_Liquid_Laser said:
OTBWY said:

Hmmm...never saw that C64 clone.  I might have to check that one out. 

It's this one to be more specific.