By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why I gave up on the AAA industry.

m0ney said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

Then maybe you should play some other indie games. Or maybe redefine what you mean by "gimmicky". Creating something new and exploring it isn't necessarily being gimmicky. I see a lot of people calling games gimmicky just because they don't follow a strict formula.

I have played some great indie games but most of them are cheap platformers, you are trying to idolize them but reality is far different.

I'm not trying to idolize them. There are a LOT of really bad indie games. Much more than AAA games for sure. And yeah, a lot of them are cheap platformers. But 1. That doesn't mean they're gimmicky, I think you're trying to avoid explaining what you mean by "gimmicky" and 2. I personally prefer to play a bad game than to play a good game with microtransactions, but that's just me.

B O I

Around the Network

This i to much LOL for me i'm sorry man

SvennoJ said:
You can wait a year or two and pick up any AAA game for peanuts with the bugs ironed out and don't worry about the extras, you don't notice anything is missing, nor do you notice you get anything extra. The only reason to play AAA games day 1 is because it's fun to exchange experiences with other people playing the game. That's hard to find with indies and playing older games.

My problem with indies is, it's hard to find the gems. And most of the time I just want to relax with something familiar.

I guess you nailed it.

AAA games get far cheaper a few months down the road. Indie games on the other hand are sometimes more expensive than what they offer, because even though we have incredible indie games like Journey, we also have a lot of rubbish, specially 2d plats that are far from being innovative.

Besides, sometimes what we want from a AAA experience is exactly the familiar format. I don't need fancy food everyday, sometimes chocolate doughnuts are just great. Many would rather just play 300 hours of the genre/format they like than spend 30 hours in a bunch of different innovative smaller games. That's why there are still many that buy a console  just for one single game.

Plus, as you said, it's not easy to find indie gems and every time I look for them I find platformers, platformers and platformers and I'm sick and tired of 2d platformers.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Pricing is the only thing I dislike about AAA games today. That, and micro transactions.

LuccaCardoso1 said: 

1. The price

Every time I ponder buying a AAA game, I remember that, for the same price, I could buy at least 3 amazing indies. And more than just that, it's hard to even find a game where you pay 60 dollars for the full experience. Wanna buy Smash? Cool, but you have to pay 25 more dollars if you really want all the content. Thank you for buying Spider-Man, but you'll have to pay more if you want to see all the story

3. Lack of innovation

When was the last time you saw a AAA game that did something no one has ever done? I'm not talking about refining previously established concepts, I'm talking about taking risks to create something truly new. Well, I couldn't name a single game. Meanwhile, indies are innovating all the time. Just google the list of indie games released in 2018 and you'll

1) I get some game do do this, but most I think are genuinely game trying to offer content beyond the game as a extra content. When I was younger, this was something I always wanted as I it extended the life of my favourite games. Assassins Creed and EA's Battlefront games crossed the line a few times, but Spiderman or other games where content is like an extended epilogue, that is really extra content not held back content.

3) Kingdom Come: Delieverance

Typically, I don't look at indie games as I like games with length and depth, and indies are usually too short. I think Limbo was the last game that could be called indie that I played. Maybe I should see what there is though.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
While I generally agree—AAA gaming, particularly western AAA gaming, is one of the least interesting spheres of gaming today—I don’t think indies are any better at innovation. Many of them are riffing on formulas that have been around since NES.

In general, I think the best work done today in the games industry falls into three buckets: Western A (or indie) games, Japanese AA games, and Japanese AAA games (thanks mostly to Nintendo). In my mind, many modern AAA experiences are spoiled by cinematic pretensions or games-as-a-service frameworks.

Thanks to mostly Nintendo? The company that has cannibalized their last consoles library to fluff this one, that has been increasingly using anti consumer practices like season passes and dlc instead of focusing on releasing games and their sequels instead of draining the consumer dry, that has easily the worst bang for your buck in their online pay wall, ect.

They were the last bastion of consumer centric gaming, this gen though they're leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Hey you’re preaching the choir. I’ve been very vocal about my distaste for a la carte gaming. I even wrote an article three years ago stating that Nintendo had become part of the DLC problem. But in the end the company makes the best games on the planet.

SecondWar said:
LuccaCardoso1 said: 

1. The price

Every time I ponder buying a AAA game, I remember that, for the same price, I could buy at least 3 amazing indies. And more than just that, it's hard to even find a game where you pay 60 dollars for the full experience. Wanna buy Smash? Cool, but you have to pay 25 more dollars if you really want all the content. Thank you for buying Spider-Man, but you'll have to pay more if you want to see all the story

3. Lack of innovation

When was the last time you saw a AAA game that did something no one has ever done? I'm not talking about refining previously established concepts, I'm talking about taking risks to create something truly new. Well, I couldn't name a single game. Meanwhile, indies are innovating all the time. Just google the list of indie games released in 2018 and you'll

1) I get some game do do this, but most I think are genuinely game trying to offer content beyond the game as a extra content. When I was younger, this was something I always wanted as I it extended the life of my favourite games. Assassins Creed and EA's Battlefront games crossed the line a few times, but Spiderman or other games where content is like an extended epilogue, that is really extra content not held back content.

3) Kingdom Come: Delieverance

Typically, I don't look at indie games as I like games with length and depth, and indies are usually too short. I think Limbo was the last game that could be called indie that I played. Maybe I should see what there is though.

1) That's just a personal thing. I prefer for a developer to only release a game when they think it's as good as it can be and then move on to the next game instead of expanding upon it. And btw, Spider-Man's DLC was announced before the game was even released, so it is held back content.

3) I'm not saying every single indie game is innovative. I'm just saying a lot of them are, and I don't see the same happening with AAA games.

I don't really care about how long a game is unless it's outrageously short. The length of the game has nothing to do with its depth. I've played 6-hour games that were much deeper than 30-hour ones. I'd probably recommend Dead Cells to you, as it's very long and very deep.

B O I

I very much agree with the OP. I think I agree with Veknoid_Outcast even more though. What I really like are 1) Western indies, 2) Japanese games which are mid-budget (i.e. AA) or 3) Nintendo games. And I also agree that Nintendo has been gradually adopting more of the disgusting practices of the Western game industry.

I play some indie games, but the thing that holds me back the most is that many are digital only. I really like having a cartridge. But if it's on a cartridge and the game is well made then I'm all for it. One of the best games I've played this year was Axiom Verge. Bring on the indies!

I've been playing this...

And then I'm probably moving on to this...

Both games are NOT AAA games.  I have nothing against AAA games.  I just don't allow the "AAA" status be a factor when deciding on a purchase.

PotentHerbs said:
Pricing is the only thing I dislike about AAA games today. That, and micro transactions.

The only time I pay the original full price for a game is when it comes as a rare special edition or the value shoots up from being out of print.