By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. November 2018 bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

Tagged games:

Kerotan said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Oversimplification 101

Ironic. Considering you said the potential loss per bundle is $60. But the game is on sale for BF everywhere both digital and retail. So how's the potential loss $60? And you never factored in the potential for everyone to buy the season pass. 

The POTENTIAL loss is $60 because that is the MSRP of the game. We're talking revenue, not profits. Also Business/Economics 101.

This means POTENTIALLY 2 million consumers will not purchase the game for $60 because it is included for free. Clearly there are other intangibles when discussing consumer products. PSN+, Season Pass, etc; But at $199, you're looking at a demo that isn't necessarily in the market for such things. 

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
Kerotan said:

Ironic. Considering you said the potential loss per bundle is $60. But the game is on sale for BF everywhere both digital and retail. So how's the potential loss $60? And you never factored in the potential for everyone to buy the season pass. 

The POTENTIAL loss is $60 because that is the MSRP of the game. We're talking revenue, not profits. Also Business/Economics 101.

This means POTENTIALLY 2 million consumers will not purchase the game for $60 because it is included for free. Clearly there are other intangibles when discussing consumer products. PSN+, Season Pass, etc; But at $199, you're looking at a demo that isn't necessarily in the market for such things. 

The potential loss isn't 60 because that's not what spiderman is valued at now. They are bundling in a game that's currently on sale.

Regardless, potential loss does not equal actual loss so your are 100% wrong for factoring in spiderman to say the 199 ps4 is sold at a loss. Simply not true. Business 101.

Kerotan said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

The potential loss isn't 60 because that's not what spiderman is valued at now. They are bundling in a game that's currently on sale.

Regardless, potential loss does not equal actual loss so your are 100% wrong for factoring in spiderman to say the 199 ps4 is sold at a loss. Simply not true. Business 101.

Welp, I guess all businesses should adopt your philosophy then. Include software and/or other goods that cost hundreds of millions in development and mareting for free. Somehow profit/revenue from said investment is no longer pertinent. Everyone has been doing it wrong all along!!

MK8D bundle is out of stock but despite that is currently 3rd best selling gaming item in November.

So, Mk8D bundle deal is only available for Black Friday?

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

XB1 has been doing great on Amazon. While Switch has been sold out at several points, and PS4 has been sold out all week (the Spider-Man bundle), the XB1 S Minecraft bundle and XB1 X have both been in stock every time I have checked the last few days and pretty highly ranked the whole time. XB1 S Minecraft bundle is now ahead of any PS4 SKU on the monthly chart, and ahead of 2/3 Switch SKU's for the month, while X has made it up to #59 on monthly, ahead of the RDR2 PS4 Pro bundle. I have seen a similar situation when checking the online charts for Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart, and Target throughout the week, PS4 sold out all week and Switch sold out alot of the time, while XB1 has stayed in stock the whole time on multiple SKU's while remaining highly ranked. Seems like Nintendo and especially Sony didn't send enough stock to online retailers, instead choosing to focus on retail stores. We'll have to wait and see if that paid off for them in the end, but as far as I know online sales passed retail sales on Black Friday week about 3 years ago, so it seems to me like Sony and Nintendo would have been better off shipping more units for online sales rather than retail.

That won't make much of a difference.  PS4 and Switch will still outdo Xbox by a considerable margin. 

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Kerotan said:

Welp, I guess all businesses should adopt your philosophy then. Include software and/or other goods that cost hundreds of millions in development and mareting for free. Somehow profit/revenue from said investment is no longer pertinent. Everyone has been doing it wrong all along!!

It's not exactly Rocket Science. Sell your console on BF for as low as possible without taking a loss and bundle a game you publish so it doesn't cost you anything to pay another publisher. And Spiderman is making them insane money with or without this bundle. It's selling massive amounts unbundled and it's helping the PS4 become the hottest console by far this November. Great move by Sony. Are nintendo making a loss on all switches sold that include mario kart deluxe? 

Kerotan said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Are nintendo making a loss on all switches sold that include mario kart deluxe? 

I'm pretty sure the $60 price of the game is factored into loss column as well, it's a promotion. Promotions typically cost money, whether it's a TV ad, giveaway, complimentary gift, gift cards etc; 

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Kerotan said:

Are nintendo making a loss on all switches sold that include mario kart deluxe? 

I'm pretty sure the $60 price of the game is factored into loss column as well, it's a promotion. Promotions typically cost money, whether it's a TV ad, giveaway, complimentary gift, gift cards etc; 

Lmao so Sony on their balance sheets will write - 60 for every spiderman bundle? Apart from the fact they won't even if they did wouldn't they use the cheaper sale price everyone bought the game standalone for during BF? So many holes in your thought process. 

wow what a black friday for Xbox one x/s. Switch won the NPD because it was the number 1 selling console on Amazon but xbox had several skus in the top 20. I believe sony under shipped the ps4 199 spiderman and this may cost them the npd and make them come in 3rd for this month. But good sale all round especially the xbox one x sold beastly.