By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony Quarterly Results (July-Sep) 2018, PS4: 3.9M (LTD: 86.1M). Year Ending Sales Revised Upward to 17.5M

Still smooth sailing for the PS4 this quarter. Sony even ups its forecast for the fiscal year.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Anyone got total dollar value of consoles sold?

Wait a minute, think I missed the big news here. 90 billion yen operating profit for the quarter!?!?!

Isn't that like almost $800m??? That's insane.

poklane said:
Software sales are now at 853million. Page 8: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q2_supplement.pdf
FY18 Q2 (July - September) software sales: 75,1million
Software sales as of 30 June 2018: 777.9million

Jesus christ. Closing in on the billion mark fast. Will it get close with Q3? Which is holiday season. 

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Noobie said:

Based on their below statement, look like they are not interested in doing much promotion or deals in this holiday season.

Wow, so they're pretty much bluntly saying "yeah it's costing us less to produce the PS4 now, but suck it, since we're doing well at the current MSRP we're not passing on the savings to consumers". Can't say I blame them though, so close to a new gen where R&D costs are probably through the roof, smart to keep the operatng income as high as possible.

Is this an attempt to turn this positive into a negative? They are proving the consumer with a console they see great value in. Hence why it still flies off the dhekbe. On the software side they are really generous on price cuts and sales on their software. That can't be said about all the console manufacturers. 

Barkley said:
Wait a minute, think I missed the big news here. 90 billion yen operating profit for the quarter!?!?!

Is this true? Playstation for the quarter made 800m in profit? What's it going to be like come the holiday quarter? 

Kerotan said:
Barkley said:

Is this true? Playstation for the quarter made 800m in profit? What's it going to be like come the holiday quarter? 

The forecast for the year was $2.2 billion operating profit, they just increased it to $2.74 billion.

Last FY was there best since 1998, they made $1.6 billion, they're completely eclipsing that this year, made half of that just this quarter.

Around the Network

Yep seems like PS4 will be the fastest to reach 100M HW sales and 1B SW sales... it still have great momentum and Sony will keep saving the price cut for later, this will be a long gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Kerotan said:
poklane said:
Software sales are now at 853million. Page 8: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q2_supplement.pdf
FY18 Q2 (July - September) software sales: 75,1million
Software sales as of 30 June 2018: 777.9million

Jesus christ. Closing in on the billion mark fast. Will it get close with Q3? Which is holiday season. 

PortisheadBiscuit said:

Wow, so they're pretty much bluntly saying "yeah it's costing us less to produce the PS4 now, but suck it, since we're doing well at the current MSRP we're not passing on the savings to consumers". Can't say I blame them though, so close to a new gen where R&D costs are probably through the roof, smart to keep the operatng income as high as possible.

Is this an attempt to turn this positive into a negative? 

Uhhhh, no. Did you miss the parts "i don't blame them" and "smart to keep operating income as high as possible"? A little over defensive much? 

Also PS+ subscription is hovering near total X1 sold, so I'm pretty sure PS+ is getting a bigger revenue from subs (and probably all as well, since it also have bigger userbase for digital sales) than XBL. Don't even mind MAU and other metrics.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:
PS4 may be the fastest console to sell both 100M hardware units and also 1B software sales.
I don't think we have info about how fast the PS2 has reached that, but considering it was physical only it's quite more likely the PS4 is ahead, now the question is if it can edge it in hardware too... it's definitely edging the Wii but the fight with the PS2 will be pretty close.

Should I necrobump threads claiming it was never going to reach the PS3? Hm...

Do sure 

Barkley said:
Kerotan said:

The forecast for the year was $2.2 billion operating profit, they just increased it to $2.74 billion.

Last FY was there best since 1998, they made $1.6 billion, they're completely eclipsing that this year, made half of that just this quarter.

Crazy. And the best part is I think they'll beat that again the following year after. 

It is quite amazing week 15 October and we're at 300K world wide. Sony just needs to copy and paste everything this gen and do it again next gen + fan requests. Key IP remakes. Continued first party exclusives. A solid Console.