By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii, third party support by the end of this gen?

bump.

Around the Network
beastieboys25 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
De85 said:

Agree 110%. Will the Wii have more 3rd party titles available than PS3 or 360? Yes, however the OP was ambiguously worded as "better." In my opinion quality trumps quantity, and the higher quality 3rd party games are all on PS3 and 360. That's not going to change

Ah, but you can't paint in broad strokes and still be considered correct, or in opinionated terms "valid."

I think some people get offended when I say their opinion is not valid. However, what I mean is, "Your opinion has a very small chance of being correct."

Now, if I said "The PS3 has no games." My opinion would be invalid(and very childish in its presentation.)

If you say "higher quality 3rd party games are all on the PS3 and 360" your opinion would be invalid, because certainly in the Wii's lifetime even thus far it has seen some "higher quality" 3rd party games, or even just one, however, just one makes your absolutely stated opinion provably incorrect.

Instead you should say that most AAA 3rd party titles will end up on the 360 and PS3.

The devil is in the details, and sometimes how you word your opinion changes it from absolutely incorrect, to perfectly plausable, with all due respect.

In other words, I fully respect your opinion, but I think it has been proven wrong with releases of games like RE4, Okami, Bully, Guitar Hero 3, Rock Band, and Zack and Wiki.

RE4 (Port)

Okami (Port)

Gutar Hero 3 (no DLC)

Rockband (gimped,is coming very late compare to the other versions)

Zack and Wiki (low budget game,sold badly)

I could go on with the list,but I'm not a troll and this is just my opinion, it makes me angry when people try to make the Wii third party line up good.I am sure it will improve post-E3 but for now is poor ,saying than the wii has good third party games is like saying than the psp library is better than the DS(You see I don't hate nintendo,I own a DS).

No, you obviously missed my point.

The thing was that guy said that the Wii has NO GOOD 3rd party games. None, not one, and never would.

I said that opinion is invalid because even if you could find one out of the list, that would make the opinion provably incorrect.

You attempting to flame me, it's silly. You listing those games as ports, is silly.

Orange Box is a port. In fact, most PS3 games are ports, or multiplats, that are worth playing. I'd say the exclusive 3rd party support is FAAAARR greater on the Wii than the PS3.

You simply use your little buzz words to marginalize those games, like "port" or whatever talking point you wanna use.

In the end, you missed the point of my post, you shouldn't have, it was crystal clear, perhaps you should read it more carefully.

Either way, flaming me, never a good idea. I made a well thought out post, that you couldn't even be bothered to understand the meaning of. That's all I'll say until I see your response.

Hint: My point wasn't that the Wii has equivelant 3rd party support, or even good 3rd party support. Only that at least one 3rd party game on the Wii will now, or at some time in the future, be a AAA title. The games I listed were merely examples that one could use if one were so inclined to disprove the fact that the Wii never has nor ever will get a AAA 3rd party title.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

perculator said:
Wii will get the support because it sells the most

This is the correct answer!! It's as simple as that.

HappySqurriel said:
windbane said:

Actually, one could argue that the PSP library is better, but that's even more subjective. Judging from metacritic/gamerankings, I'd say it's not much worse. Anyway, I agree with the rest of what you said. Bully is also a port. I think Z&W is overrated and isn't the best adventure game, but I know I'm in the minority on that one. No More Heroes is a great game but I believe the developer is frustrated by the sales and will put the next game on a different system. I'll join the minority of those here that believe the Wii will not have the best third party support, both from a ratings and sales standpoint. Keep in mind all multiplatform games on 360 and PS3 have a much larger userbase than the Wii, and that won't change.

The only game that is in competition with Zack and Wiki is Sam and Max, so it is either the best or second best adventrue game on the market ...

The PS3 and XBox 360 may have a larger userbase at the moment, but they both also have much more expensive development costs. We have heard that it costs 2 to 4 times as much to produce a similar game on the XBox 360/PS3 as it does to produce a game for the Wii; if you're comparing Apples to oranges this could be much more dramatic in either way as Zack and Wiki is probably 1/30 as expensive as Gran Turismo, while singstar is probably similar to Super Mario Galaxy.

Now I think it is fair to say that a lot of third party publishers will see the Wii as a very good way to hedge against risk; for the cost of Resident Evil 5 Capcom can develop Zack and Wiki, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles and (probably) Monster Hunter 3 (and potentially have resources left over) which means that the risk of losing money from poor sales is fairly low.

I meant compared to all past good adventure games, but Sam and Max is likely better. It has a story, at least. Z&K may be 1/30 as expensive as Gran Turismo but that's about how much it's going to sale compard to Gran Turismo. If development is 2 to 1, and the higher cost 360 and PS3 have a much larger combined install base, the math favors more 360/PS3 games. Also keep in mind that third parties now have plenty of assets for games having already worked on PS3 and 360, so their development costs for the next games won't be as high. So, even if it's more like 4 to 1, if the game is going to sell much better on 360 and PS3 then it'll go there. I also agree that developers want to push the envelope (well, some of them), so some types of innovative games will go to 360/PS3 and some will go to Wii. I think the 360/PS3 option is more likely, though, imo.

windbane said:
HappySqurriel said:
windbane said:

Actually, one could argue that the PSP library is better, but that's even more subjective. Judging from metacritic/gamerankings, I'd say it's not much worse. Anyway, I agree with the rest of what you said. Bully is also a port. I think Z&W is overrated and isn't the best adventure game, but I know I'm in the minority on that one. No More Heroes is a great game but I believe the developer is frustrated by the sales and will put the next game on a different system. I'll join the minority of those here that believe the Wii will not have the best third party support, both from a ratings and sales standpoint. Keep in mind all multiplatform games on 360 and PS3 have a much larger userbase than the Wii, and that won't change.

The only game that is in competition with Zack and Wiki is Sam and Max, so it is either the best or second best adventrue game on the market ...

The PS3 and XBox 360 may have a larger userbase at the moment, but they both also have much more expensive development costs. We have heard that it costs 2 to 4 times as much to produce a similar game on the XBox 360/PS3 as it does to produce a game for the Wii; if you're comparing Apples to oranges this could be much more dramatic in either way as Zack and Wiki is probably 1/30 as expensive as Gran Turismo, while singstar is probably similar to Super Mario Galaxy.

Now I think it is fair to say that a lot of third party publishers will see the Wii as a very good way to hedge against risk; for the cost of Resident Evil 5 Capcom can develop Zack and Wiki, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles and (probably) Monster Hunter 3 (and potentially have resources left over) which means that the risk of losing money from poor sales is fairly low.

I meant compared to all past good adventure games, but Sam and Max is likely better. It has a story, at least. Z&K may be 1/30 as expensive as Gran Turismo but that's about how much it's going to sale compard to Gran Turismo. If development is 2 to 1, and the higher cost 360 and PS3 have a much larger combined install base, the math favors more 360/PS3 games. Also keep in mind that third parties now have plenty of assets for games having already worked on PS3 and 360, so their development costs for the next games won't be as high. So, even if it's more like 4 to 1, if the game is going to sell much better on 360 and PS3 then it'll go there. I also agree that developers want to push the envelope (well, some of them), so some types of innovative games will go to 360/PS3 and some will go to Wii. I think the 360/PS3 option is more likely, though, imo.

The PS3 and XBox 360's userbases combined are just over 125% of the Wii's current userbase, this on its own does not justify double the development cost if you're dealing with double the development cost for the PS3 and XBox 360 as you are for the Wii. On top of this, if we accept the 1/30th estimate for the development cost of Zack and Wiki in comparison to Gran Turismo, Zack and Wiki's current sales have a similar return on investment as Gran Turismo 5 will have if it breaks 10 Million units sold worldwide ...

Around the Network

I was thinking about something: When/if the Wii has all the support that the Ps2 had last gen, we will see sequels to those games that are already out on the Ps360 with downgraded in graphics! I mean, when did this ever happened? This gen is awsome!
The next FF will probably come out for the Wii IMO, so that would mark the first time two games of the main series do not come out to the same console during that generation. This gen is all about breaking paradigms!

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

I still think in the west the HD consoles will get the most support, but maybe Japanese 3rd parties will support Wii over PS360 in the future.

When you think of install base for HD 3rd party games you have to count 360+PS3+gaming PC because most 3rd parties will release on all 3 platforms.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Johann said:
I was thinking about something: When/if the Wii has all the support that the Ps2 had last gen, we will see sequels to those games that are already out on the Ps360 with downgraded in graphics! I mean, when did this ever happened? This gen is awsome!
The next FF will probably come out for the Wii IMO, so that would mark the first time two games of the main series do not come out to the same console during that generation. This gen is all about breaking paradigms!

So you want sequels of games to actually look worse not better? Are you from Bizarro World?

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!