By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Q2 Report - Switch hardware total 22.86 millions - 50% of Online Users paid for the year

Miyamotoo said:

quickrick said:
good numbers,

20 million looks impossible.

It seems that Switch did not lose momentum, it's up compared to last year. ;)

I don't think you realise what impossible means, it harder but not impossible.

quickrick said: 

its very for a console to sell 10 million plus in a quarter and consoles  that have were selling much better then switch on a monthly bases.

Switch last year in October-December period sold 7.24m with Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2, this year in same time period have Super Mario Party, Pokemon Lets Go and Smash Bros Ultimate, only that is far stronger lineup compared to last year, plus Switch this year has plenty available bundles that didn't had last year. So with that all on mind, Switch could easily this year in same time period sell around 10m. Fact that Nintendo didnt changed 20m forecaste means they counting most for Holiday sales and Pokemon Lets Go and Smash Bros Ultimate.

Even if Switch dont hit 20m, it will be very close to that number in any case, like 17-18m in worst case.

Last year they sold what? 7 million during the holiday quarter? That was all they were able to ship at the time. This time it's going to be much more interesting as it seems that they have little supply issues. It's going to depend how big the demand is this Christmas. I think Smash Bros and Pokemon will provide that incredible boost, as they always have.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
Miyamotoo said:

Switch last year in October-December period sold 7.24m with Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2, this year in same time period have Super Mario Party, Pokemon Lets Go and Smash Bros Ultimate, only that is far stronger lineup compared to last year, plus Switch this year has plenty available bundles that didn't had last year. So with that all on mind, Switch could easily this year in same time period sell around 10m. Fact that Nintendo didnt changed 20m forecaste means they counting most for Holiday sales and Pokemon Lets Go and Smash Bros Ultimate.

Even if Switch dont hit 20m, it will be very close to that number in any case, like 17-18m in worst case.

Last year they sold what? 7 million during the holiday quarter? That was all they were able to ship at the time. This time it's going to be much more interesting as it seems that they have little supply issues. It's going to depend how big the demand is this Christmas. I think Smash Bros and Pokemon will provide that incredible boost, as they always have.

i was talking about q2 not q3.

quickrick said:
SKMBlake said:

They've already surpassed last year shippments for Q1 and Q2, and there is no reason they won't beat the 7 millions of Q3 of last year with the Fortnite, Smash and Pokémon bundles, and with Mario Party.

shipments are about even from last year, and last yeat they were low on stock, so they shipped everything they could, unlike this year where they probably have a good amount in store shelves. last year was its also its first holiday with pent up demand and a amazing line up for any Nintendo fan.

Nintendo fans act like pokemon and smash are the second coming but guess what those games were om 3ds and didnt propel sales into the heavens like some people expect on switch.

Not the "Pokémon didn't make the 3DS to sell" argument again. Yes, Pokémon didn't throw 3DS sales through the roof but neither did Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U, nor 3D Land for the 3DS. 

The fact that every single first party title sells very well on the Switch and helps to sell hardware way better than the Wii U or 3DS is a good reason to think Smash and Pokémon, but also Fortnite, will sell hardware like hotcakes.

quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

nintendo never  downgrades there forecast,  well see what happens they will ne lucky to match last year shipments imo.

They do, but we will see, November is almost here. :D

quickrick said: 
SKMBlake said: 

They've already surpassed last year shippments for Q1 and Q2, and there is no reason they won't beat the 7 millions of Q3 of last year with the Fortnite, Smash and Pokémon bundles, and with Mario Party.

shipments are about even from last year, and last yeat they were low on stock, so they shipped everything they could, unlike this year where they probably have a good amount in store shelves. last year was its also its first holiday with pent up demand and a amazing line up for any Nintendo fan.

Nintendo fans act like pokemon and smash are the second coming but guess what those games were om 3ds and didnt propel sales into the heavens like some people expect on switch.

Yeah, but also this year didnt had any big game yet and Switch continued to sell great, and two easily biggest games of year and some of biggest their IPs are launching in this quarter.

We talking about some of biggest/strongest Nintendo IPs (with help of Mario Part thats very popular also) in any case. Comparison with 3DS is not good, Switch has different type of sales, doesnt need price cut, doesnt need even strong game to keep momentum and games are selling much stronger on Switch compared to 3DS, so point that maybe something didn't had big effect on 3DS doesn't mean same goes for Switch.

Megiddo said:
Miyamotoo said:
Switch sold 42.13m untis of software in first 6 months of this year, in Holiday quarter alone will probably sell around 50m, Switch SW will probably be around 110m at end of FY year.

Who made thread before that there is no way that Switch will sell 100m software units this FY? :)

I definitely doubted 100m software units when I first saw it, but that was before I realized that Nintendo was making physical releases of a lot of the high selling digital games (Rocket League, Minecraft, Overcooked, etc).  Knowing that they are counting all digital sales of those then it was an easy goal to hit.

Good quarter for Nintendo.

First software sales until period you made that thread showed that 100m is achievable in any case. Second, but those games have physical releases on other platforms also, why you would assume that Nintendo will not do physical copies also? And third, Nintendo counts sales of games that only have physical releases.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
quickrick said:

Not the "Pokémon didn't make the 3DS to sell" argument again. Yes, Pokémon didn't throw 3DS sales through the roof but neither did Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U, nor 3D Land for the 3DS. 

The fact that every single first party title sells very well on the Switch and helps to sell hardware way better than the Wii U or 3DS is a good reason to think Smash and Pokémon, but also Fortnite, will sell hardware like hotcakes.

3ds is selling very close to switch. so im not understanding your comparison.

any way we are basically a month away from the holidays., and when switch sales are similar to last year, all im gonna say is i told you so.

User Banned By ~ PwerlvlAmy

Last edited by PwerlvlAmy - on 30 October 2018

quickrick said:
any way we are basically a month away from the holidays., and when switch sales are similar to last year l, all im gonna say is i told you so.

We're still waiting you to show us your famous cliff you were mentioning :p

SKMBlake said:
quickrick said:
any way we are basically a month away from the holidays., and when switch sales are similar to last year l, all im gonna say is i told you so.

thats one thing i been wrong on  and i changed my prediction like a year ago to flat. since then i been mostly right on my predictions and 3 for 3 on my bets.

quickrick said:
SKMBlake said:

thats one thing i been wrong on  and i changed my prediction like a year ago to flat. since then i been mostly right on my predictions and 3 for 3 on my bets.

It's easy to change your bets and predictions later on when you know they aren't going the way you thought it would. Again.