By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you think of RDR2 so far? (for those who are playing it)

John2290 said:
I shot the German Gun store owner in Annesburg because he kept complimenting how well I kept my guns over and over but I didn't put a fatal bullet in him because I need the annoying fool, came back later and he had a bandage on his head and belly, with bloodstains right where I shot him in the ear and side. Mind blown.

Technically, his mind was blown first.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
I shot the German Gun store owner in Annesburg because he kept complimenting how well I kept my guns over and over but I didn't put a fatal bullet in him because I need the annoying fool, came back later and he had a bandage on his head and belly, with bloodstains right where I shot him in the ear and side. Mind blown.

The same thing happens if you blow his head off and all of his limbs. He'll be back again in a day or 2 with a few bandages and just moderately annoyed by what you did.

Well, I finished the story now, am currently at the start of the epilogue. Beware when you start the final mission, you can't save until completing the first mission in the epilogue. Same as Guarma, a lot of linear game play while not allowed to quit...

I don't think honor has anything to do with the ending, you basically have one choice which alters the location of the ending. It still plays out pretty much the same, except ending one, tap o button, ending 2 tap R2 button for game play. Same result, Dutch and Micah conveniently show up right on cue in either place to do the same bit. Honor only seems to influence the visions and Arthur's reflections while riding back to camp for a final time.

The acting was very high standard, visuals and details amazing. Too bad the story felt so contrived, pretty much written around having to use most of the map and shoehorn in as many western movie tropes as possible. Plus all the things that happen in story missions that you can't do outside of them ruined the immersion. It's like two different games, an amazing open world outlaw simulator hampered by a flawed bounty system and an Uncharted style linear story that fails due to bad controls and being 10x more restrictive in game play than Uncharted. Most of the time I merely felt like a mobile turret during story missions, often without control of my own movements. The final train mission for example is far behind the train mission in Uncharted 2. Part of that is due to RDR2 being set in a fixed world which restricts the time you have. The game does cheat and teleports the whole train forward if you're too fast yet when you go slow it simply fails. The exact same stuff happens on replay no matter what you do.

Still it's one of the most detailed amazing worlds I have explored and am looking forward to exploring the rest now it's unlocked in the Epilogue.

Ode to idiot horse2

I wondered why I was travelling on the train when I got back from the kitchen

Yeah this is not Aguro, no sense of self preservation at all.

I guess my horse is also only looking in the direction of the camera and didn't see the cliff coming :)
Notice that sliding rock, nice detail.

SvennoJ said:

Well, I finished the story now, am currently at the start of the epilogue. Beware when you start the final mission, you can't save until completing the first mission in the epilogue. Same as Guarma, a lot of linear game play while not allowed to quit...

I don't think honor has anything to do with the ending, you basically have one choice which alters the location of the ending. It still plays out pretty much the same, except ending one, tap o button, ending 2 tap R2 button for game play. Same result, Dutch and Micah conveniently show up right on cue in either place to do the same bit. Honor only seems to influence the visions and Arthur's reflections while riding back to camp for a final time.

The acting was very high standard, visuals and details amazing. Too bad the story felt so contrived, pretty much written around having to use most of the map and shoehorn in as many western movie tropes as possible. Plus all the things that happen in story missions that you can't do outside of them ruined the immersion. It's like two different games, an amazing open world outlaw simulator hampered by a flawed bounty system and an Uncharted style linear story that fails due to bad controls and being 10x more restrictive in game play than Uncharted. Most of the time I merely felt like a mobile turret during story missions, often without control of my own movements. The final train mission for example is far behind the train mission in Uncharted 2. Part of that is due to RDR2 being set in a fixed world which restricts the time you have. The game does cheat and teleports the whole train forward if you're too fast yet when you go slow it simply fails. The exact same stuff happens on replay no matter what you do.

Still it's one of the most detailed amazing worlds I have explored and am looking forward to exploring the rest now it's unlocked in the Epilogue.

Ode to idiot horse2

I wondered why I was travelling on the train when I got back from the kitchen

Yeah this is not Aguro, no sense of self preservation at all.

I guess my horse is also only looking in the direction of the camera and didn't see the cliff coming :)
Notice that sliding rock, nice detail.

LOL! At least the horses aren't as bad as BOTW ... I personally found that game to have one of the worst horse systems in recent memory, which is crazy because developers seem to have nailed it down for quite a while now. 

Am I the only one annoyed that Rockstar doesn't use analog controls? it really annoys me that my character walks the same speed no matter how hard I am pushing the analog stick. I honestly do not see any benefit to not having analog controls in their games

Around the Network
Baddman said:
Am I the only one annoyed that Rockstar doesn't use analog controls? it really annoys me that my character walks the same speed no matter how hard I am pushing the analog stick. I honestly do not see any benefit to not having analog controls in their games

The controls in general are awful, but if you can get past that, it's an amazing experience.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
SvennoJ said:

LOL! At least the horses aren't as bad as BOTW ... I personally found that game to have one of the worst horse systems in recent memory, which is crazy because developers seem to have nailed it down for quite a while now. 

This guy...

RaptorChrist said:

This guy...

What? 

The horses were so fucking slow and I never felt in control of them

I don't think I used the horses much at all in BotW. They can't climb, thus useless in a game where you can climb everything. Simply get to a high spot and glide to where you need to go. At least you could walk and run anytime you want. RDR2 happily restricts your movement left and right as well as the direction you are allowed to look in in first person mode. So much struggle with the camera, mashing x to please go faster, or just give in, enter cinematic mode and hold x to follow someone to the next trigger point.

Movement is so weird in RDR2. Sometimes first person allows you to walk at a normal speed while he seems to be restricted to crawling in 3rd person. In / near buildings and camp you are restricted to an annoying slow walk. Worst is when you're being chased and one of those random scripted side road events pop up which makes your horse slow down and focus the camera on whoever wants your attention. Meanwhile the pursuers catch up.

I never got past the horse controls in first person while trying to fend of attackers. Either the horse stops or ends up pointing the wrong way, just follow the damn road horse while I'm shooting behind and to the side. I don't know where the horse's head is at after turning around to shoot, he stops, I tap x to get him going again, he shoots off to the side into a tree. Just perfect.

The game is indeed amazing when you can get past the controls, yet aren't the controls the foundation of a good game, especially an open world game...

RaptorChrist said:
Baddman said:

The controls in general are awful, but if you can get past that, it's an amazing experience.

R* and Bethesda, kings of people accepting their mistakes.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."