By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I have created a tier list for Super Mario Party

Super Mario Party is a game where at first you might think that each character is the same in terms of statistics, and you're not wrong to think that. Up until now, its pretty much been that way, but in this iteration, every character has their own special dice block which features different rolls than the simple 6-sided dice. A few days ago I came across a website that actually made a tier list for all the characters in the game, based on which dice blocks they felt were the best -

https://rankedboost.com/super-mario-party/best-characters/

- and i disagree with this list entirely. Some of these characters seemed way too high, like Donkey Kong with a dice block that has 4 sides that roll 0. So I figured, its all just numbers, surely there must be a way to statistically calculate which dice block is objectively the best in the game, right? Right. And then I spent a good 5 hours over the course of 3 days experimenting with formulas to see if I could come up with a calculated tier list that seemed to make some logical sense... and I think I have done. I boiled every character's dice block down to a single number and ranked them all, now here it is -

*Numbers with a + or - give or take away coins from the player, and do not allow the player to move on that roll.

S - Tier

2.20 - Shy Guy (0, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4)
2.07 - Bowser (-3, -3, 1, 8, 9, 10)
2.03 - Boo (-2, -2, 5, 5, 7, 7)
2.03 - Wario (-2, -2, 6, 6, 6, 6)

A - Tier

1.76 - Peach (0, 2, 4, 4, 4, 6)
1.75 - Luigi (1, 1, 1, 5, 6, 7)
1.75 - Dry Bones (1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6)
1.75 - Normal Dice Block (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

B - Tier

1.59 - Bowser Jr. (1, 1, 1, 4, 4, 9)
1.46 - Waluigi (-3, 1, 3, 5, 5, 7)
1.32 - Monty Mole (+1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

C - Tier

1.17 - Mario (1, 3, 3, 3, 5, 6)
1.06 - Daisy (3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4)
0.96 - Hammer Bro (+3, 1, 1, 5, 5, 5)
.88 - Diddy Kong (0, 0, 0, 7, 7, 7)
.86 - Goomba (+2, +2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
.80 - Yoshi (0, 1, 3, 3, 5, 7)

D - Tier

.53 - Koopa (1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 10)
.51 - Rosalina (+2, +2, 2, 3, 4, 8)
.44 - Pom Pom (0, 3, 3, 3, 3, 8)

F - Tier

.35 - Donkey Kong (+5, 0, 0, 0, 10, 10)

So now I will go a bit more into how this was all calculated. First off, coin rolls are disregarded completely. After playing a good 15+ hours of this game, I can tell you that coin rolls are as good as a zero. By the halfway point in the game you should have a good 30 coin surplus if not more and just want to get around the board to collect as many stars as possible - so the only real basis is "How reliable is this dice block in terms of getting as high a roll as possible". I also used the Normal Dice Block as a standard, having a 3.5 average roll. So any roll that gives you a 0 hurts a character's overall score. Then, the score is weighted by how often it can roll above the average of 3.5. Additionally, if you add up all the sides of a Normal Dice Block, you get 21, so ideally you want a higher total than that, which was the final factor used to calculate the scores. 

Around the Network

Imagine being shy guy, needing a 4, and you get that zero!

Acevil said:
Imagine being shy guy, needing a 4, and you get that zero!

Just roll a 4 on the next turn. There ya go

Sometimes you want a zero. It's not a completely useless roll, in fact it can be very useful as it's not just skipping a turn, it activates the space you're on again.

Barkley said:
Sometimes you want a zero. It's not a completely useless roll, in fact it can be very useful as it's not just skipping a turn, it activates the space you're on again.

That really only applies to the early game though. You will likely pick up an ally somewhere during the game which will give you an additional 1 or 2 added to your roll every turn, making rolling a zero impossible. From the amount of games i have played i can firmly say that distance is the one true deciding variable

Around the Network

I read this article as well which was done by an Algebra teacher:

https://kotaku.com/someone-did-the-math-on-which-dice-are-the-best-in-supe-1829632235

Honestly it's a bit hard to say depending on how the player plays but its nice to see that there's a good enough variety that nobody is going to fight over a certain character.