By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega: Updated sales numbers for Persona, Yakuza, Hatsune Miku & more

Here the updated sales numbers, by Sega (and Atlus):

Acquired Intellectual Properties

• Persona series (since 1996) – Approx. 9.3 million (units / downloads) (packaged and digital total) across 15 total editions
  • Etrian Odyssey series (since 2007) Approx. 1.9 million (units / downloads) (packaged and digital total) across 10 total editions
  • Total War series (since 2000) – Approx. 22 million (units / downloads) (packaged and digital total)
  • Megami Tensei series (since 1987) – Approx. 12.4 million (units / downloads) (packaged and digital total) across 30 total editions
  • Football Manager series (since 2005) – Approx. 18.1 million (units / downloads) (packaged and digital total)

In-House Intellectual Properties

• Yakuza series (since 2005) – Approx. 11 million (units / downloads) (packaged and digital total) across 92 total editions
  • Puyo Puyo series (since 1991) – Approx. 27 million (units / downloads) (packaged and digital total, AM-registered ID total (total for registrations after IP acquisition)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog series (since 1991) – Approx. 800 million (units / downloads) (packaged and digital total)
  • Aladdin series (since 1989) – Approx. 570,000 (pachislot and pachinko machines and amusement machine total) across 14 total editions
  • Beast King series (since 2001) – Approx. 490,000 (pachislot and pachinko machines and amusement machine total) across 15 total editions
  • Chain Chronicle series (since 2013) – Approx. 15 million (downloads) (packaged and digital total) across three total editions
  • Phantasy Star series (since 1987) – Approx. five million ID (cumulative total for registered IDs)

Licensed from Third-Parties

• Sega feat. Hatsune Miku Project series (since 2009) – Approx. six million units (packaged and digital total) across 61 total editions
  • Hokuto no Ken series (since 2002) – Approx. 2.74 million units (pachislot and pachinko machines and amusement machine total) across 33 total editions
  • Souten no Ken series (since 2009) – Approx. 440,000 units (pachislot and pachinko machines total) across nine total editions

Around the Network

It's always weird to see series with such high pedigree like SMT, Persona, Etrian Odyssey and Yakuza with such low sales overall. Well, at least Persona and Yakuza have a chance of breaking out of their niche space...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Way, football manager only has 18.1m over it's 13/14 games? I would have guessed they sold around 2m on average, not less than 1.5. This also includes the psp and "touch" games? I thought it was a much more popular series.

Etrian is also lower than I expected an average of 190k per "edition". Would have guessed closer to 300k.

Man Persona deserves so much more sales than it has.... Its not really a hidden gem (feel like people know of it), but its something so few choose to experiance...

Crazy that Persona + SMT is only 22m.

Etrian numbers hurt too abit... even though there I didnt expect much.

800 million? That has to be a typo of 80 million.

Around the Network
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
800 million? That has to be a typo of 80 million.

Are they counting the free iOS/android Sonic games? They do say units / downloads, after all.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Wow, that's a lot of Sonic

I would have bet that EO numbers were twice that. Geez.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Seems they’re really liberal in what they’re counting.

melbye said:
Wow, that's a lot of Sonic

S.Peelman said:

Seems they’re really liberal in what they’re counting.

Yeah most of that is free phone apps