By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE #325 Review Score Roundup

Darashiva said:
pokoko said:

So people who care about the other aspects of a game should ignore EDGE?  Works for me.

Well, not necessarily ignore, but at least take their review criteria into account.  Every review outlet and even individual reviewer in some cases has their own review criteria and a system that weighs different aspects of a game. So you are going to get wildly differing scores from different reviewers on the same game depending on what aspects they value the most in a certain type of game. You just need to find the reviewers whose priorities generally align with yours to see if a game would be something you might like. 

I understand that.  Reviewing isn't a science, even if some outlets and writers try to adhere to a methodology.  However, at the end of the day, the purpose of a review, especially in a publication, is to inform the consumer.  EDGE, among others, especially those who consider themselves "influencers", put their own agendas ahead of that principle.  This usually happens when an outlet wants to forge some kind of identity that makes them stand out.

It's like if a car review magazine only graded based on performance.  What about all the other factors that matter to all different kinds of people?  Is giving a minivan or a luxury car a low score because they can't take curves fast really all that helpful to the consumer?  

EDGE can do what they want but, based on their history, I don't have much use for them at all.  Games are more than just nuts and bolts.

Around the Network

I can't agree with that Tomb Raider score. We are starting to get into serious issues with a game when it gets a 4 and while Tomb Raider was not a game that did anything new compared to the first two it is still a solid game. I'd love to read that review

Wow, a 4 for Tomb Raider? Guess I'll have to read that after I beat all 3 Tomb Raider games.

No way Tomb Raider is a 4, I just beat it and while some parts are a bit awkward, it is very much enjoyable and definitely on par with the previous games of the reboot.

jason1637 said:
COKTOE said:

IKR? To be fair, I've never played Destiny. Because I think it looks like garbage!

It's Edge though. I expect them to put up scores that range from questionable to terrible. That Tomb Raider score is the real prize pig this month. Can't see it deserving a 4.

Destiny 2 is a really great game.

I've read/heard too much about it I don't like to give it a shake, and I have a pretty big hate-on for Activision in general. Destiny 2 was the first game on PS+ I never even bothered to add to my library.  I've no doubt it has some great qualities tho. The gunplay comes up a lot.

pokoko said:
Darashiva said:

Well, not necessarily ignore, but at least take their review criteria into account.  Every review outlet and even individual reviewer in some cases has their own review criteria and a system that weighs different aspects of a game. So you are going to get wildly differing scores from different reviewers on the same game depending on what aspects they value the most in a certain type of game. You just need to find the reviewers whose priorities generally align with yours to see if a game would be something you might like. 

I understand that.  Reviewing isn't a science, even if some outlets and writers try to adhere to a methodology.  However, at the end of the day, the purpose of a review, especially in a publication, is to inform the consumer.  EDGE, among others, especially those who consider themselves "influencers", put their own agendas ahead of that principleThis usually happens when an outlet wants to forge some kind of identity that makes them stand out.

It's like if a car review magazine only graded based on performance.  What about all the other factors that matter to all different kinds of people?  Is giving a minivan or a luxury car a low score because they can't take curves fast really all that helpful to the consumer?  

EDGE can do what they want but, based on their history, I don't have much use for them at all.  Games are more than just nuts and bolts.

They've been what I would describe as terrible for a ridiculously long time. Over a decade since I've been observing. I'm going to assume there's been turnover on the staff. I mean, it's been a WHILE, yet their tendency to dole out eye-poppingly out of step reviews has remained consistent. The review scores they hand out must be mandated for reasons you touched on. Make themselves stand out. Get some negative attention. Get some clicks.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
jason1637 said:

Destiny 2 is a really great game.

I've read/heard too much about it I don't like to give it a shake, and I have a pretty big hate-on for Activision in general. Destiny 2 was the first game on PS+ I never even bothered to add to my library.  I've no doubt it has some great qualities tho. The gunplay comes up a lot.

pokoko said:

I understand that.  Reviewing isn't a science, even if some outlets and writers try to adhere to a methodology.  However, at the end of the day, the purpose of a review, especially in a publication, is to inform the consumer.  EDGE, among others, especially those who consider themselves "influencers", put their own agendas ahead of that principleThis usually happens when an outlet wants to forge some kind of identity that makes them stand out.

They've been what I would describe as terrible for a ridiculously long time. Over a decade since I've been observing. I'm going to assume there's been turnover on the staff. I mean, it's been a WHILE, yet their tendency to dole out eye-poppingly out of step reviews has remained consistent. The review scores they hand out must be mandated for reasons you touched on. Make themselves stand out. Get some negative attention. Get some clicks.

I'm sorry but I disagree Coktoe. EDGE is a paper magazine based on a subscription model. It's not the same. 

The only reason people hate EDGE is because they gave their favourite franchise or platform's game a bad review. Nothing more, nothing less. In this regard, a certain group started hating them because of their recent scores of a certain platforms exclusives.

John2290 said:
Destiny 2 DLC a 9 but Spiderman got an 8. Now I remember why I haven't taken Edge seriously since before the internet.

What do you think SM deserves? I’m 55% through and so far it gets a 7 from me. As good as the traversal is the rest is just an extremely generic open world game imho. How much of Forsaken have you played?

OTBWY said:
COKTOE said:

I'm sorry but I disagree Coktoe. EDGE is a paper magazine based on a subscription model. It's not the same. 

The only reason people hate EDGE is because they gave their favourite franchise or platform's game a bad review. Nothing more, nothing less. In this regard, a certain group started hating them because of their recent scores of a certain platforms exclusives.

That's absolutely untrue and an unfounded assumption on your part.  The problems people have had with EDGE go back years.  As long as I've been reading gaming forums, in fact, and well before I joined VGC.  I even remember the Rockstar controversy.  Rather, it looks like EDGE has suddenly earned a lot of new defenders who act like this is something new.

And, yes, people dislike EDGE because they give their favorite games low scores.  Why wouldn't they?  What better reason could possibly exist?  From a personal standpoint, they are probably the publication that I trust the least and that's an opinion developed over a long period of time.

pokoko said:
OTBWY said:

That's absolutely untrue and an unfounded assumption on your part.  The problems people have had with EDGE go back years.  As long as I've been reading gaming forums, in fact, and well before I joined VGC.  I even remember the Rockstar controversy.  Rather, it looks like EDGE has suddenly earned a lot of new defenders who act like this is something new.

I find it funny that you call out an assumption of mine by returning it with another assumption. Anyway, let's not kid ourselves Pokoko. I have been here and observing too. We know that we had this backlash when Senua, God of War and who could forget, Uncharted 4 (which had a petition going to remove EDGE's score from metacritic) got lower scores than people wanted. If they got perfect scores we wouldn't have this conversation. And that's not right.

And, yes, people dislike EDGE because they give their favorite games low scores.  Why wouldn't they?  What better reason could possibly exist?  From a personal standpoint, they are probably the publication that I trust the least and that's an opinion developed over a long period of time.

It doesn't make it alright. Look, I understand. You have good scores and there is one contrarian score that doesn't make sense. You have those. The difference however imo is that this is a print publication as opposed to a site that needs clicks. I also doubt that many here actually read the reviews to judge them as they did.

OTBWY said:
pokoko said:

I find it funny that you call out an assumption of mine by returning it with another assumption. Anyway, let's not kid ourselves Pokoko. I have been here and observing too. We know that we had this backlash when Senua, God of War and who could forget, Uncharted 4 (which had a petition going to remove EDGE's score from metacritic) got lower scores than people wanted. If they got perfect scores we wouldn't have this conversation. And that's not right.

It doesn't make it alright. Look, I understand. You have good scores and there is one contrarian score that doesn't make sense. You have those. The difference however imo is that this is a print publication as opposed to a site that needs clicks. I also doubt that many here actually read the reviews to judge them as they did.

You're trying to tell me that the overall criticism of EDGE, which goes back years, is suddenly invalid because of recent criticism?  No, it's not.   

As far as a petition to remove EDGE's Uncharted 4 score, you might be mixing that up with something else.  EDGE gave UC4 a 9/10.