By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Netflix Casts Ciri & Yenifer in Witcher series

So all is well in the end. The heritage was kept where it was relevant and important, plus also had a black girl to increase diversity where race wouldn't be a big issue.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Kalkano said:
thismeintiel said:

And who's to say that without that fan backlash they wouldn't have gone with a BAME actress? 

My thoughts exactly.  Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they purposely leaked the info, just to "test the waters".

My guess is it was either that or someone involved with the production, who didn't like the way they were heading, leaked it. 

What a damn shame... None of the casted actors look like the characters

shikamaru317 said:
ResilientFighter said:
What a damn shame... None of the casted actors look like the characters

I don't know if I agree with that totally. Here is the cast:

From top left to bottom right:

Geralt > Yennefer > Ciri > Calanthe > Fringilla > Sabrina > Renfri > Mousesack > Eist > Tissaia

My opinion on each, appearance wise:

Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia- I still feel like Henry is too much of a "pretty boy" to play Geralt, but hopefully the make-up department will be able to remedy that by giving him scars and such. Hair and eye color can be fixed with a wig and colored contact lenses respectively. 

Anya Chalotra as Yennefer of Vengerberg- She looks a bit young compared to the game version of Yennefer, but I think that is the point, Yennefer is actually like 100 years old, she uses magic to appear young and beautiful, so why not make her look super young, what 100 year old woman wouldn't want to look like she was in her early 20's? Her hair color is right already, and Yennefer's trademark violet eyes can easily be done with colored contact lenses. 

Freya Allan as Princess Cirilla Fiona Elen Riannon- She looks quite young, but that fits since Ciri is supposed to be like 14 in season 1 of this tv series. She has the necessary pale skin, hair color can be fixed with a wig and eye color with colored contact lenses. 

Jodhi May as Queen Calanthe Fiona Riannon- This particular choice is pretty much spot on. Here is an official drawing of Calanthe, compare that to the actress' photo here. She is just about the right age as well, a bit young for the role though (Calanthe would have been about 48-50 during the events this season is based on, while the actress is 43).

Mimi Nedweni as Fringilla Vigo- Not much good to be said here, Fringilla is shown to be white in the Witcher 3, Mimi is black. 

Therica Wilson-Read as Sabrina Glevessig- Sabrina is one of the few characters whose game version doesn't really match the book version, but this actress matches neither. Sabrina has black hair in the books and red hair in the games, the actress has dirty blonde hair. Sabrina has black eyes in the books and green eyes in the games, but the actress has hazel eyes. Of course these are both things that can't be fixed by the make-up department with a wig or hair dye and colored contact lenses. 

Millie Brady as Princess Renfri- The books describe her as having blonde hair and blue green eyes, the actress has brown hair and blue eyes. This can easily be fixed. She seems like she will be a pretty good match for this official drawing of Renfri

Adam Levy as Mousesack/Ermion- He's not exactly the best match for Ermion imo. He lacks the long beard for starters, and he looks a bit too young. 

Bjorn Hlynur Heraldsson as Eist Tiurseach- I am quite happy they cast a Scandinavian actor to play Eist, since Eist is Skelligen, Skelligens being based on real world Scandinavians. He looks the part too, has dark hair and a dark bear, which matches Eist. 

MyAnna Buring as Tissaia de Vries- Other than Tissaia having dark hair in the books, this seems like a good match, as hair color can easily be fixed with a wig or dye.

none of those faces remind me of the characters, if you look at robert downey jr before his being cast for iron man he actually looked like tony stark and fit the part perfect. This casting looks so random.

RolStoppable said:
Not going to watch this show.

Just because it has a black person in it? Didn't think you as that much of a racist.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Mimi Nedweni as Fringilla Vigo- Not much good to be said here, Fringilla is shown to be white in the Witcher 3, Mimi is black. 

Given that she's Nilfgaardian that is second cousin to Dutchess of Toussaint as well, I hope they have some reasonble explanation for that - something like father from Zangvebar, since neither Zerrikania nor Ofir seem to be good fit.

irstupid said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, for sure. Guess they really want to emphasize the fact that Witchers live a long time by making Geralt's actor so much older than Yennefer's actress. 

You do realize that witches are also insanely old. They use magic to change themselves and live insanely long. Also witches were also originally all deformed and ugly to begin with.

So anytime you were fapping to the hot witches in Witcher, just realize that without magic they would be like a 200 year old hunchback old hag.

Pretty sure Yennifer was  hunchback.

I knew. Still fapped.

shikamaru317 said:
irstupid said:

You do realize that witches are also insanely old. They use magic to change themselves and live insanely long. Also witches were also originally all deformed and ugly to begin with.

So anytime you were fapping to the hot witches in Witcher, just realize that without magic they would be like a 200 year old hunchback old hag.

Pretty sure Yennifer was  hunchback.

Yeah, I just edited that post to add that fact xD

Good lord, is this "National Thin Skin Day"? (not at you Shika, just the guy who felt the need to poke people with an stick)... 

meh doubtful I'd watch this

HoloDust said:

"One of the things I feel most strongly about is people being afraid that we’re going to strip out the cultural context of The Witcher, to remove its Slavic roots, the very thing people in Poland are proud of. That couldn’t be further from the truth. What I’ve always wanted to do is take these Slavic stories and give them a global audience."

Oh, what a crock of shit, they back-pedaled due to fan backlash.

Anyway, Freya could be described as a bit mousey, which is fine for Ciri. Don't like one bit their pick for Yennefer.

Oh really? This is news to me, can you provide a source for your claim so that I can make myself a conclusion of it?