By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Resets PlayStation Now 7-Day Trial Subscrptions

Errorist76 said:
VAMatt said:
The problem is that Sony doesn't put new games on PS Now. Downloadability is certainly a step in the right direction. But, MS's Gamepass is a much better program. The problem there, of course, is that MS doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of desirable first party exclusives.

In any case, I think we are moving toward a much better system here. Gamers will know that their hobby costs $X per month (X will vary by gamer, based the number of subscriptions they want/need), and publishers will have a more stable, predictable revenue stream.

I'm a stable, grown adult. I can afford to blow a few hundred bucks during the holiday release period to pick up new games. But, I remember a decade ago when I had to think a lot more about my gaming budget. It would have been a lot easier for me to handle (let's say) $20 every month, than the sporadic $60 to $120 when games I want come out. In fact, I tried to mostly stay about a year behind back then, so that I could keep gaming affordable.

The downside, for those of us that want to resell or collect games.... well, those days may be coming to and end. I'm a buy and resell guy. So, I may have to change. But, I think this is good overall, and I look forward to seeing how games as a service stuff progresses.

It’s too totally understandable that Sony want to fairly pay their developers and sell their games instead. They don’t need to subsidise their platform in order to improve their service subscriptions the way MS does.

How does that apply here? 

The fact is that there are no big games released on PS Now at launch, while there are big, AAA games on Gamepass the same day they launch at retail.  So, in my case (and certainly in many other cases), there's more value in Gamepass.  

For example, there are only two current exclusives that I want to play, but do not yet own: Spiderman and Forza Horizon 5.  PS Now doesn't give me a way to play Spiderman.  Gamepass does give me a way to play Forza.  So, which service is more valuable to me?  

Certainly, if one wants to get access to the largest number of games, without concern for what games those are, PS Now is the better value, by a mile.  But, a large portion of gamers want to play big AAA games at or near launch.  Only Gamepass offers that.  

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Why?

To win consumer trust?
"Here try this for free, we improved the service & you can now download the games + run them on your own machine if you want, go ahead try it out"

Their hopeing people give it a chance, and some decide they like what their trying out and stick with it.

VAMatt said:
The problem is that Sony doesn't put new games on PS Now. Downloadability is certainly a step in the right direction. But, MS's Gamepass is a much better program. The problem there, of course, is that MS doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of desirable first party exclusives.

In any case, I think we are moving toward a much better system here. Gamers will know that their hobby costs $X per month (X will vary by gamer, based the number of subscriptions they want/need), and publishers will have a more stable, predictable revenue stream.

I'm a stable, grown adult. I can afford to blow a few hundred bucks during the holiday release period to pick up new games. But, I remember a decade ago when I had to think a lot more about my gaming budget. It would have been a lot easier for me to handle (let's say) $20 every month, than the sporadic $60 to $120 when games I want come out. In fact, I tried to mostly stay about a year behind back then, so that I could keep gaming affordable.

The downside, for those of us that want to resell or collect games.... well, those days may be coming to and end. I'm a buy and resell guy. So, I may have to change. But, I think this is good overall, and I look forward to seeing how games as a service stuff progresses.

Great post. I was in the same boat with games for a few years after I bought my first house and car. 

I think Sony should learn from Microsoft and WWE. In the case of both of them, I was only buying an XB game or WWE PPV once a year or less. Now I am subscribed to both Game Pass and WWE Network year round. I get to stay involved in their products constantly, and if I really like one of their products I can always buy them outright to add additional support.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

VAMatt said:
Errorist76 said:

It’s too totally understandable that Sony want to fairly pay their developers and sell their games instead. They don’t need to subsidise their platform in order to improve their service subscriptions the way MS does.

The fact is that there are no big games released on PS Now at launch, while there are big, AAA games on Gamepass the same day they launch at retail.  So, in my case (and certainly in many other cases), there's more value in Gamepass.  

For example, there are only two current exclusives that I want to play, but do not yet own: Spiderman and Forza Horizon 5.  PS Now doesn't give me a way to play Spiderman.  Gamepass does give me a way to play Forza.  So, which service is more valuable to me?  

Certainly, if one wants to get access to the largest number of games, without concern for what games those are, PS Now is the better value, by a mile.  But, a large portion of gamers want to play big AAA games at or near launch.  Only Gamepass offers that.  

Except for the Horizon series Microsoft exclusives‘ sales numbers have been declining left and right. My point was Microsoft probably wouldn’t be so „generous“ were they leading this by far..they do this to increase the number of subscribers and gain back trust...plus Microsoft tries to make up for the loss in sales through MTs and DLCs in their ‚exclusives‘.

Errorist76 said:
VAMatt said:

Except for the Horizon series Microsoft exclusives‘ sales numbers have been declining left and right. My point was Microsoft probably wouldn’t be so „generous“ were they leading this by far..they do this to increase the number of subscribers and gain back trust...plus Microsoft tries to make up for the loss in sales through MTs and DLCs in their ‚exclusives‘.

I'm a Sony fan. I play most games on PS4.  But, I'm able to accept that companies other than Sony sometimes have good ideas, and push gaming forward.  As a Sony fan, I'd like to see them follow MS's lead here, and make their service even better.  Your (apparent) Sony loyalty has you arguing in favor of Sony giving gamers less than MS.   Weird.   

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Errorist76 said:

I'm a Sony fan. I play most games on PS4.  But, I'm able to accept that companies other than Sony sometimes have good ideas, and push gaming forward.  As a Sony fan, I'd like to see them follow MS's lead here, and make their service even better.  Your (apparent) Sony loyalty has you arguing in favor of Sony giving gamers less than MS.   Weird.   

I simply have a problem with these kind of services. Not sure this is my way of “pushing gaming forward” at all. I’d rather keep supporting the developer I really like directly. If it’s anything like in music the service providers will earn more money and the developers (musicians) will get less with these types of subscription services. I also refuse to support Spotify because it rips of artists. You can call it pro-consumer all you want but it’d rather support something pro-developer. Not convinced at all this is pro-consumer at all btw since it 1. forces people into DRM and digital and 2. developers will even more be forced to make up for lower sales by implementing other types of monetisations like MTs or DLC.

Errorist76 said:
VAMatt said:

I simply have a problem with these kind of services. Not sure this is my way of “pushing gaming forward” at all. I’d rather keep supporting the developer I really like directly. If it’s anything like in music the service providers will earn more money and the developers (musicians) will get less with these types of subscription services. I also refuse to support Spotify because it rips of artists. You can call it pro-consumer all you want but it’d rather support something pro-developer. Not convinced at all this is pro-consumer at all btw since it 1. forces people into DRM and digital and 2. developers will even more be forced to make up for lower sales by implementing other types of monetisations like MTs or DLC.

I can understand and appreciate those concerns. But,   do we have any actual evidence that these problems exist with PS Now or Gamepass?  Or is it just speculation based on what has unfolded in other parts of the entertainment business?   If it's the latter, I'd caution against worrying about problems that may not even exist.

VAMatt said:
Errorist76 said:

I can understand and appreciate those concerns. But,   do we have any actual evidence that these problems exist with PS Now or Gamepass?  Or is it just speculation based on what has unfolded in other parts of the entertainment business?   If it's the latter, I'd caution against worrying about problems that may not even exist.

Agreed. Look at Netflix. They have provided massive opportunities for content creators. Comedians and people who create shows for them have nothing but praise when it comes to working with Netflix. I do think we should be cautious but I don't think this will play out like the music industry.