By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Sony became king of consoles again

DonFerrari said:
0D0 said:

I agree.

PS3 comes from Playstation 3. It's a Playstation version 3. Like iPad Air or 4, they're all iPads.

One of the best things about Playstation in my opinion is that Playstation is the same thing ever. The true SNES successor, it didn't really change much, even the controller, which I love. You can trust Playstation, it's the standard home console, a SNES that evolved.

If we're talking about general worldwide population, the version of Playstation doesn't matter. Playstation is Playstation.

Yes, there is a certain safety in buying playstation. You know what to expect.

I get it, but branding didn’t do much for Vita...

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure globally speaking UK is insignificant. And when you remove USA from the WW count PS3 would have outsold Wii. While PLAYSTATION in the the cover of the console would make it more recognizable as part of the family itself. There is a reason for people all over europe to call a gaming system a "playstation".

All this "but if you remove this country/territory or only count what people in Europe think" is ultimately meaningless.

Here in the real world, the Wii decisively beat the PS3.

Not only Europe. WW minus USA still gives the lead to Sony. So when you want to say UK is insignificant (even though Wii sold well over there) then if only one country gives the victory to Wii then we can infer that WW PS3 was still more popular than Wii. And as I said, Playstation is a continuous brand so even if PS3 sold less than Wii if you go now, 10 years after the heydays of Wii and put playstation versus Wii in placards Playstation will win.

Kai_Mao said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes, there is a certain safety in buying playstation. You know what to expect.

I get it, but branding didn’t do much for Vita...

Yes, brand isn't all =p although Vita in itself is a good HW.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

All this "but if you remove this country/territory or only count what people in Europe think" is ultimately meaningless.

Here in the real world, the Wii decisively beat the PS3.

Not only Europe. WW minus USA still gives the lead to Sony. So when you want to say UK is insignificant (even though Wii sold well over there) then if only one country gives the victory to Wii then we can infer that WW PS3 was still more popular than Wii. And as I said, Playstation is a continuous brand so even if PS3 sold less than Wii if you go now, 10 years after the heydays of Wii and put playstation versus Wii in placards Playstation will win.

Meanwhile, here in the real world, Wii beat the PS3. 

Show placards of both Wii and PS3 around the world, and more people would recognize the Wii, because (a) significantly more people owned one, and (b) unlike the PS3, it was a cultural phenomenon.

Seriously, it's been a decade, that such denial still persists regarding Playstation's defeat last gen is just ridiculous. Move on already.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Show placards of both Wii and PS3 around the world, and more people would recognize the Wii, because (a) significantly more people owned one, and (b) unlike the PS3, it was a cultural phenomenon.

Seriously, it's been a decade, that such denial still persists regarding Playstation's defeat last gen is just ridiculous. Move on already.

Wii is such as strong brand name that it's close to literally same-named successor was a neutron star level of collapsing  failure.

Let's get old school. Do you think the Wii was a better console than the PS3?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
curl-6 said:

Wii is such as strong brand name that it's close to literally same-named successor was a neutron star level of collapsing  failure.

Wii U isn't relevant to this discussion. We are talking 7th gen, Wii vs PS3.

And yes, I do think the Wii was a better console than the PS3. But that's also irrelevant. Wii outsold the PS3, that's the bottom line.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
COKTOE said:

And yes, I do think the Wii was a better console than the PS3. But that's also irrelevant. Wii outsold the PS3, that's the bottom line.

It is relevant. The name "Wii" meant jack shit in the very next gen. Where was all the recognition for the Wii name? Lots of people must have thought the Wii-U sucked. Sucked soooooo hard that it's suckiness was able to counteract it's strength in the field of placard recognition. As for your personal tastes regarding Wii v PS3, fair enough.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
curl-6 said:

It is relevant. The name "Wii" meant jack shit in the very next gen. Where was all the recognition for the Wii name? Lots of people must have thought the Wii-U sucked. Sucked soooooo hard that it's suckiness, was able to counteract it's strength in the field of placard recognition. As for your personal tastes regarding Wii v PS3, fair enough.

Wii U is not the Wii. The PS Vita was also a spectacular failure despite bearing the Playstation name.

Show people placards of Wii and PS3 in the streets and you'd be lucky if 50% recognized the PS3. But probably 80% would know the Wii from the years where it was everywhere, on TV, at family gatherings, where it was the white hot new thing everyone wanted. And the fact that millions more people owned one than owned a PS3.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 October 2018

curl-6 said:
COKTOE said:

It is relevant. The name "Wii" meant jack shit in the very next gen. Where was all the recognition for the Wii name? Lots of people must have thought the Wii-U sucked. Sucked soooooo hard that it's suckiness, was able to counteract it's strength in the field of placard recognition. As for your personal tastes regarding Wii v PS3, fair enough.

Wii U is not the Wii. The PS Vita was also a spectacular failure despite bearing the Playstation name.

Show people placards of Wii and PS3 in the streets and you'd be lucky if 50% recognized the PS3. But probably 80% would know the Wii from the years where it was everywhere, on TV, at family gatherings, where it was the white hot new thing everyone wanted. And the fact that millions more people owned one than owned a PS3.

The Vita did bear the PS name, but it's failure is a once-off anomaly for the PS brand, with a well documented history of abandonment from Sony to accompany it. Nintendo has shit the bed way more often. Sony, and the PS brand, has a consistent level of excellence, with average console sales that no other platform holder can touch. So, with the Wii brand: If the name can't be parlayed into a successful followup, it's dead. And it IS dead. Long dead. That was the Wii-U. Wii is the Sanjaya Malakar of brands.....That's too harsh. It's the William Hung of brands. And again, speaking of dead, a higher percentage than is the norm, as it concerns  console customers, the ones that helped make the Wii software library so amazing, have faded into the ether.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 05 October 2018

I love Mystic's videos, he has a very laid back approach that's very refreshing

COKTOE said:
curl-6 said:

The Vita did bear the PS name, but it's failure is a once-off anomaly for the PS brand, with a well documented history of abandonment from Sony to accompany it. Nintendo has shit the bed way more often. Sony, and the PS brand, has a consistent level of excellence, with average console sales that no other platform holder can touch. So, with the Wii brand: If the name can't be parlayed into a successful followup, it's dead. And it IS dead. Long dead. That was the Wii-U. Wii is the Sanjaya Malakar of brands.....That's too harsh. It's the William Hung of brands. And again, speaking of dead, a higher percentage than is the norm, as it concerns  console customers, the ones that helped make the Wii software library so amazing, have faded into the ether.

You don't seem to be aware of the specific topic under discussion and how we came to it, and why the Wii U has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

This discussion began with the assertion that "PS never stopped being the king of consoles", which implies that the PS3 was king last gen when it was getting thrashed by the Wii in sales, bleeding billions of dollars, and losing half of the marketshare it inherited from PS2.

The Wii U did not even exist at this time, so it's completely irrelevant.