By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Telltale hit with massive layoffs, effectively closing down the company.

It's really sad, they found something that worked for them and gave them some praise, then they stagnated by doing it over and over again. I did enjoy what they did but it was never top-tier

edit: We hear conflicting reports about if they have downsized or shut down completely. My theory is that they aren't shut down yet, but what is left is a skeleton crew needed to finish TWD and when that is done the studio closes

Last edited by melbye - on 21 September 2018

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
d21lewis said:

I already paid for TWD final season. I hope the next chapter isn't "Clementine died on the way back to her home planet" .

:) I had to.

You're the most 90's person I've ever known. I literally just now realized that everything you do - not just some memes but all memes and every image you've ever posted, is 90's themed. Your mindset is 90's based. What happened to you? Are you depressed and now trying to recapture your childhood? Are you ok?

xMetroid said:
Its sad but i think we all saw that coming. They just made too many projects that kept performing not so great.

Idk they should have revised their formula at some point and make less projects, they just got too big and too greedy too fast.

I agree. They should've stuck with 2 properties, Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us and finished them first or put them at later seasons before making new ones. 

While I was never really a fan of their work, its always sad to hear a studio going under.I think that the Walking Dead success just went over their heads, and they took too many projects at once, coupled with not willing to push their games foward, got them into this situation, in which the Telltale brand was associated with mediocracy, and then resulted in low sales.At least thats how I feel about it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
While I was never really a fan of their work, its always sad to hear a studio going under.I think that the Walking Dead success just went over their heads, and they took too many projects at once, coupled with not willing to push their games foward, got them into this situation, in which the Telltale brand was associated with mediocracy, and then resulted in low sales.At least thats how I feel about it.

Yeah I think Telltale became the modern franchise-game company. What I mean is that by the end of the 7th generation most people thought movie or franchise tie-ins were dead. And  they were right for the most part, but then Telltale game and messed with so many franchises. They basically became the new movie-tie-in or TV-tie-in or Game-tie-in company, and brought that kind of negative image back to life just by themselves. 

Also: "its always sad to hear a studio going under"

Remember a lot of these people could be rehired for even better work But you're right, still sad ...

Around the Network

That sucks. I really, really enjoyed the Batman one on Switch and was hoping it would get the sequel as well....

1doesnotsimply

Sad news, but not unexpected. They already had troubles not too long ago.

I hope they manage to find a good job soon.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
COKTOE said:

:) I had to.

You're the most 90's person I've ever known. I literally just now realized that everything you do - not just some memes but all memes and every image you've ever posted, is 90's themed. Your mindset is 90's based. What happened to you? Are you depressed and now trying to recapture your childhood? Are you ok?

Not sure if joking...There's a lack of tact to these questions that's difficult to ignore. It appears you're posing them to antagonize me. Every image and all memes? I've posted stuff from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, and 10's, with the last 3 time periods being used the most often. You're ignorant to my posting history, which is understandable given you only see parts of it. Nothing happened to me. I'm not depressed. I wasn't a child for most of the 90's. I'm OK.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Nautilus said:

Yeah I think Telltale became the modern franchise-game company. What I mean is that by the end of the 7th generation most people thought movie or franchise tie-ins were dead. And  they were right for the most part, but then Telltale game and messed with so many franchises. They basically became the new movie-tie-in or TV-tie-in or Game-tie-in company, and brought that kind of negative image back to life just by themselves. 

Also: "its always sad to hear a studio going under"

Remember a lot of these people could be rehired for even better work But you're right, still sad ...

Yeah, hopefully the employees are hired by other companies/developers.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Who would've thought that making 20 games at once is not such a good idea.

I'm happy for the employees, who can now finally pursue a career.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.