By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Best movie trilogy?

Best movie trilogy?

Star Wars original trilogy 18 16.22%

Evil Dead 1 0.90%

Lord of the Rings 48 43.24%

Back to the Future 15 13.51%

The Godfather 4 3.60%

The Matrix 4 3.60%

Spider-Man 2 1.80%

The Dark Knight 12 10.81%

Men in Black 0 0%

Other (please specify) 7 6.31%

Total:111

The Lord of the Rings, but special mention to the Before series, which I doubt anyone will list.

Before Sunrise and Before Sunset are superb films. The third was disappointing though imo, but that's the only reason I'd say LotR is better.

Around the Network

thats a tough call since i love Back to the Future, but at the same time i have a ton of nostalgia for Spiderman

No question for me, The Lord of the Rings, but there are some other great trilogies out there.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
mZuzek said:

No, he won't. I'm just hoping if and when Vol. 3 comes out, it at least uses his script, because that's the only way it'd be respectable, but I'm not counting on that either.

...I'm genuinely sorry for you  

It's been a while, I'm "okay" with it. As in, I'm not okay at all with it, but I am able to accept that it happened. After all, it only makes sense - it's Disney, they wouldn't settle for just ruining Star Wars, they had to come and ruin Better Star Wars too. In any case, at least I can find contentment in the fact that Vol. 2 was very conclusive to the story. If it had ended in a more open-ended conclusion like the first movie had, that would've been really hard to be okay with.

The Lord of the Rings
The Dark Knight

Around the Network

Before I clicked on this I knew it had to be between Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.  It's a close call for me, but the Lord of the Rings had such a strong finish that it has to be #1.  My top 5 trilogies are:

1. Lord of the Rings
2. Star Wars
3. Captain America
4. Spider-Man 
5. Back to the Future

Honorable mention goes to the Dark Knight trilogy.  I also have to give a special mention to the X-Men prequels.  The first two movies were so good, that this trilogy could have easily ended up on my list.  Then Age of Apocalypse comes out and it's like a punch in the face.  The worst part is where they go to see Return of the Jedi in the movie and they say, "the third one is always the worst".  It's like they are mocking you while you watch their movie.

Lord of the Rings. Without question.
Those are my 3 favorite movies of all time.
I didn't watch them when they were in theaters when I was a little kid because I thought I was "too cool" to watch them. (We all know those kids and I'm sure most if not all of us have gone through that phase.)
Then, when I was in high school, I watched the Hobbit trilogy when those movies came out, and I remember really enjoying them. I did my research because I was interested in the world and the characters and I found out that it was a prequel to Lord of the Rings and thought, "Oh wow. Really?! Dang, I should actually sit down and watch those movie."
Then, I finally did and by the end of Return of the King, I just kept mentally cursing and scolding myself for not seeing them when I was a kid. Easily, the greatest movie trilogy I've ever seen.

Edit: Also, I want Into the West to be played at my funeral.

Hardware Comparison Threads:

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2019 vs. 2020
(https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020/1/)

Lord of the rings without a doubt. I have the theatrical cut on DVD and extended cut on Blu-ray, very much enjoyed the 11 hour extended cut and watched the whole extended cut again with commentary track.

Unfortunately the Hobbit trilogy sits at the bottom of that list.

Probably not all of them the best, by certainly my favourites:

Dollars trilogy (A Fistful of Dollars; For a Few Dollars More; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)
Mad Max (Gibson's)
The Godfather (though 3rd was quite weak)
Back to the Future
Before (Sunrise, Sunset, Midnight)
Austin Powers

Cornetto Trilogy hands down.