By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vita production to end in 2019 in Japan

PS Vita will be manufactured until 2019 in Japan and there are currently no plans for a successor, Sony Interactive Entertainment senior vice president Hiroyuki Oda told Famitsu at Tokyo Game Show 2018.

“Currently, we do not have any plans regarding a new handheld device,” Oda said. “In Japan, we will manufacture PlayStation Vita until 2019. From there, shipping will end.”

Source 1 and 2

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

Not really surprised since production of physical games ends in February, PS+ support ends in March.

Gonna be interesting to see where a lot of Japanese AA games go.

animegaming said:
Not really surprised since production of physical games ends in February, PS+ support ends in March.

They SHOULD go to Switch but so far it seems kind of mediocre (was it like that in the beginning of Vita's life too?)

animegaming said:

Nintendo Switch

'BC and old retro games are stupid'. Shortly thereafter the PS1 classic is announced.

'We have no plans for a future handheld after Vita'... I wouldn't take that too seriously, no reason(s) in particular.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
animegaming said:

They SHOULD go to Switch but so far it seems kind of mediocre (was it like that in the beginning of Vita's life too?)

derpysquirtle64 said:
animegaming said:

Nintendo Switch

derpysquirtle64 said:
animegaming said:

Nintendo Switch

They be fools to not at least consider this, like some series such as Omega Labyrinth have moved to the Switch and some that moved to PS4 only like God Eater have yet to show up on the COMG chart. Plus some games like Ys Viii supposedly had a better opening on Switch then Vita despite being a late port. 

Goodnight, sweet prince.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

EricHiggin said:
'BC and old retro games are stupid'. Shortly thereafter the PS1 classic is announced.

'We have no plans for a future handheld after Vita'... I wouldn't take that too seriously, no reason(s) in particular.

In Sony's defense. Nintendo has proven that these plug and play retro systems make a lot of money and Sony would be fools to leave that kind of money on the table, especially with how much nostalgia is behind the PS1. While the Vita at best barely made them any money.  

animegaming said:
EricHiggin said:

In Sony's defense. Nintendo has proven that these plug and play retro systems make a lot of money and Sony would be fools to leave that kind of money on the table, especially with how much nostalgia is behind the PS1. While the Vita at best barely made them any money.  

That was part of my point. PS got into handhelds, motion controls, etc, because Nin proved it could be done and in a way that made lot's of money. The odds that PS doesn't try a hybrid like the Switch are unlikely. The main reason I could see PS truly leaving that market sector entirely, is if they focus solely on PSVR from now on instead, which they just might do since they have that market to themselves and probably will continue to in the foreseeable future. Mind you, a PS hybrid should fix the Switch mobility cross play issue if they felt they needed to directly address that.

Well, there it is.

I hope Persona 4 Golden gets ported to an actually alive platform, like Switch or PS4.