By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - August NPD result are out NSW: ~203K PS4: ~197K XB1: ~162K 3DS: ~71K

quickrick said:
SpokenTruth said:

Ahem.

It's actually slightly down so far, zorg was using the 215k number. doesn't really matter, predictions from many was it would destroy switch in sales  from 2017 on NPD, or be the next wii. i don't keep quoting them, or trying to make fun of a prediction that's like 8 months old or more, which i only really used fall off a cliff to combat the hyperbole, i did think it would lose momentum big though.

NPD 2018 totals (January-August)
PS4: ~2295K
NSW: ~1994K
XB1: ~1700K

NPD 2017 totals (January-August)
PS4: ~2191K
NSW: ~2003K
XB1: ~1231K

PS4: +5%, NSW: -0.5%, XB1: +38%

wanna bet? if Switch 2018 > Switch 2017 you'll delete your account and I'll do the same if the result is 2017>2018.

Around the Network

Great sales for everyone!
It's nice that the USA market is so competitive.

Keybladewielder said:
Great sales for everyone!
It's nice that the USA market is so competitive.

Yep! Unlike EU and Japan. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Shadow1980 said:

Here's some charts. I may post some more tomorrow:

It seems that in August Switch sold same like it did last year, but on your graph last August is stronger than this years?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/august-2018-npd-u-s-hardware-predictions-closes-tuesday-september-11th.66049/page-13#post-12642861

Just think what would have happened if Sony had made an extra 50k special editions, ... many people didnt get one and they would have easily sold more consoles.... oh well.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

Just got home from work. Have to leave again in a bit to go somewhere, but here's a couple more charts before I go:

So Switch is performing right there with PS4 in the US on a year for year basis.

Also crazy that 3DS had a revision in its 2nd August yet Switch still beat it handily.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

So Switch is performing right there with PS4 in the US on a year for year basis.

Also crazy that 3DS had a revision in its 2nd August yet Switch still beat it handily.

The 3DS didn't only have a revision in August 2012, it also had New Super Mario Bros. 2.

Good point, Switch is going to absolutely annihilate 3DS sales in the US.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Shadow1980 said:

Just got home from work. Have to leave again in a bit to go somewhere, but here's a couple more charts before I go:

Great Job!

So despite Switch still didnt had any any big year this year or any price cut still, until August is selling on pair of what PS4 was selling in 2014. and 2015., very impressive for Switch and Switch would easily beat PS4 in those years with sales in November and December.

Also, Switch beating 3DS in every single month with obvious difference is also very positive.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 18 September 2018

Miyamotoo said:

Great Job!

So despite Switch still didnt had any any big year this year or any price cut still, until August is selling on pair of what PS4 was selling in 2014. and 2015., very impressive for Switch and Switch would easily beat PS4 in those years with sales in November and December.

Also, Switch beating 3DS in every single market with obvious difference is also very positive.

It really speaks to how significantly the NA market has shrunk that matching the PS4's early NA sales is something to celebrate. They're obviously not bad (in a vacuum they're even pretty good), but we're talking about a system that spent years being the leader in a market where every one of its competitors were significantly down compared to their predecessors, and yet there's a decent chance it wouldn't even be 3rd in the 7th gen.

Things do seem to be getting better though. Thanks to a combination of the PS4's stubborn consistency, the Switch's own successes, MS finally escaping its mistakes, and the 3DS somehow still being alive, the NA market is actually looking pretty healthy.

Shadow1980 said:

Beautiful. Glad to see PS4+XBO outperforming their predecessors.

Thank you for all of these!