By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - August NPD result are out NSW: ~203K PS4: ~197K XB1: ~162K 3DS: ~71K

Replicant said:
Shadow1980 said:

Beautiful. Glad to see PS4+XBO outperforming their predecessors.

Thank you for all of these!

It's good, but the market isn't Sony and Microsoft only.

Where is Nintendo?

Where is GC, Wii and Wiiu?

Where is the portables devices?

And now, the classics devices? Like Nes Mini, Snes Mini, Neogeo mini, etc.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
Miyamotoo said:

Great Job!

So despite Switch still didnt had any any big year this year or any price cut still, until August is selling on pair of what PS4 was selling in 2014. and 2015., very impressive for Switch and Switch would easily beat PS4 in those years with sales in November and December.

Also, Switch beating 3DS in every single market with obvious difference is also very positive.

It really speaks to how significantly the NA market has shrunk that matching the PS4's early NA sales is something to celebrate. They're obviously not bad (in a vacuum they're even pretty good), but we're talking about a system that spent years being the leader in a market where every one of its competitors were significantly down compared to their predecessors, and yet there's a decent chance it wouldn't even be 3rd in the 7th gen.

Things do seem to be getting better though. Thanks to a combination of the PS4's stubborn consistency, the Switch's own successes, MS finally escaping its mistakes, and the 3DS somehow still being alive, the NA market is actually looking pretty healthy.

NA market hasn't really shrunk yet though, maybe soon in the future when we hit the evergreen years of 360+PS3. If we count NS+ Wii U years then surely they can match the Wii. PS4+XB1 as pointed out in the chart is 8m ahead of PS3+360, so technically NS+ Wii U only has to be 8m below it. Even then I suppose the Wii did explode, but it was quite the anomaly.

What might appear to be shrunk is the non holiday months, which is made up during the holidays of course. But we still had a few monster PS4 months.

Great work.

PlayStation & Xbox are the only ones representing the conventional market two generations in a row.

Conventional market is bias built by major media and bad journalism. All people buy videogame for play games. Are three form factor: stationary, portable and hibrid. But all dedicaded videogame have one purpose: play games. 

When you don't count wii/ds/psp/wiiu/switch/psvita you don't see the whole picture and is not a good market analysis.

Last edited by Agente42 - on 17 September 2018

Agente42 said:

Great work.

PlayStation & Xbox are the only ones representing the conventional market two generations in a row.

Conventional market is bias built by major media and bad journalism. All people buy videogame for play games. Are three form factor: stationary, portable and hibrid. But all dedicaded videogame have one purpose: play games. 

When you don't count wii/ds/psp/wiiu/switch/psvita you don't see the whole picture and is not a good market analysis.

When did he ever say he was analyzing the market as a whole? He was simply comparing gen over gen sales of PS & XB consoles, it's not his fault you misinterpreted the point of his graphs.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Agente42 said:

Great work.

When did he ever say he was analyzing the market as a whole? He was simply comparing gen over gen sales of PS & XB consoles, it's not his fault you misinterpreted the point of his graphs.

yeah... i noticed.

But disagree of his premise, AKA convencional market is Microsoft and Sony only.

Once again, great work on the graphics!

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Zekkyou said:

It really speaks to how significantly the NA market has shrunk that matching the PS4's early NA sales is something to celebrate. They're obviously not bad (in a vacuum they're even pretty good), but we're talking about a system that spent years being the leader in a market where every one of its competitors were significantly down compared to their predecessors, and yet there's a decent chance it wouldn't even be 3rd in the 7th gen.

Things do seem to be getting better though. Thanks to a combination of the PS4's stubborn consistency, the Switch's own successes, MS finally escaping its mistakes, and the 3DS somehow still being alive, the NA market is actually looking pretty healthy.

NA market hasn't really shrunk yet though, maybe soon in the future when we hit the evergreen years of 360+PS3. If we count NS+ Wii U years then surely they can match the Wii. PS4+XB1 as pointed out in the chart is 8m ahead of PS3+360, so technically NS+ Wii U only has to be 8m below it. Even then I suppose the Wii did explode, but it was quite the anomaly.

What might appear to be shrunk is the non holiday months, which is made up during the holidays of course. But we still had a few monster PS4 months.

I was referring to the NA console market as a whole (so home + handheld). The market the Wii opened up largely left, and handhelds were nuked from orbit. Despite what should be ideal factors for a market leader, the PS4 hasn't exactly set NA on fire. 

As Shadow's bottom graph shows, the overall console market was heavily down. Even now it's nowhere near the peaks of the 7th gen, but the combined effect of the Switch's success and the PS4 and X1 growing despite the added competition has at least shifted things back up.

My point was largely aimed at how much the 7th gen was able to expand the console market, and how poorly the 8th gen capitalised on it (though it's debatable how much they could have done in the face of the oncoming mobile and PC storm).

Zekkyou said:
Farsala said:

I was referring to the NA console market as a whole (so home + handheld). The market the Wii opened up largely left, and handhelds were nuked from orbit. Despite what should be ideal factors for a market leader, the PS4 hasn't exactly set NA on fire. 

As Shadow's bottom graph shows, the overall console market was heavily down. Even now it's nowhere near the peaks of the 7th gen, but the combined effect of the Switch's success and the PS4 and X1 growing despite the added competition has at least shifted things back up.

My point was largely aimed at how much the 7th gen was able to expand the console market, and how poorly the 8th gen capitalised on it (though it's debatable how much they could have done in the face of the oncoming mobile and PC storm).

Handhelds and Wii  did well but mostly in just unit sales after all. The console market is much more healthy with very few closures compared to those days.I am sure Sony MS and NIntendo could have been A LOT more liberal with their price cuts ex: $99 Vita, Wii U, $149 PS4, XB1, Switch and gotten more unit sales. But that would mean much less revenue and less healthy market like in the 7th gen.

While the PS2, Wii, DS, PSP, PS3, 360 all had good unit sales, they didn't exactly lead to more profits like most video game companies are finding now.

Shadow1980 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Great Job!

So despite Switch still didnt had any any big year this year or any price cut still, until August is selling on pair of what PS4 was selling in 2014. and 2015., very impressive for Switch and Switch would easily beat PS4 in those years with sales in November and December.

Also, Switch beating 3DS in every single market with obvious difference is also very positive.

Actually, the Switch is selling a bit slower than the 3DS in Japan:

It's posting much better numbers than a home console typically does, but so far it's not been doing as strongly as the 3DS. To be fair, though, the 3DS was posting absolutely amazing numbers for the 2011-2013 period, some of the best in the history of the Japanese market (the 3DS's 2012 performance in particular was the third-best year for any single system, after the DS's showings in 2006 & 2007), and it's the #3 best-selling system ever there after the DS and Game Boy. So, that's hardly a slight against the Switch. We'll have to see what happens once it gets a main-series Pokemon game and a price cut under its belt, and maybe a couple of other series that did well on Nintendo handhelds (e.g., Animal Crossing), before we can get an idea of how well the Switch will do longer-term in Japan.

Uf, my mistake I wanted to wrote every single month instead of every single market.

Talking about 3DS in Japan, 3DS needed huge price drop in order to start selling much better, and like you wrote 3DS had very strong sales in Japan and its 3rd best selling gaming hardware ever in Japan, while Switch still have launch price and very high price point for typical handheld apeal and popularity on market, when Switch get price point of around $200 that could be called handheld price point, Switch sales will explode in Japan, we will then see multiple Switch devices per household. I think that in long term Switch will also pass 20m in Japan, I mean at end of this year Switch will pass 7m sold units in Japan and we talking about less than 2 years on market with still full price point and without any revision.

Farsala said:
Zekkyou said:

Handhelds and Wii  did well but mostly in just unit sales after all. The console market is much more healthy with very few closures compared to those days.I am sure Sony MS and NIntendo could have been A LOT more liberal with their price cuts ex: $99 Vita, Wii U, $149 PS4, XB1, Switch and gotten more unit sales. But that would mean much less revenue and less healthy market like in the 7th gen.

While the PS2, Wii, DS, PSP, PS3, 360 all had good unit sales, they didn't exactly lead to more profits like most video game companies are finding now.

Eh? The DS, Wii, and PSP didn't just do well in unit sales, they represented 50% of all the software sold in that generation too. The Wii + DS in particular lead to the most profitable period in Nintendo's history. I don't disagree that hardware sales aren't what determine market health, but my original comment wasn't about that.

Shadow1980 said: 

Zekkyou said:

Gen 7 was ludicrously over-inflated. Nintendo far exceeded everyone's expectations thanks to the Wii and DS being runaway successes, and Sony surprised everyone by making the first (and only) successful handheld that wasn't a Nintendo system.

On the home console side, as I mentioned in a previous post all of the gen-over-gen losses have been on Nintendo's side thanks to the Wii U's failure. The Switch is making up for that, but the Switch is not and never was going to enjoy the same level of success as the Wii. Meanwhile, conventional consoles, as represented by PlayStation & Xbox, has remained an incredibly stable market. Combined PS4+XBO sales in the U.S. have stayed at over 9 million per year every year so far (excluding 2013 for obvious reasons), something their predecessors couldn't pull off.

-snip-

I appreciate the in-depth reply, but I don't think my comment really warrants it. My original comment to Miyamotoo was just a mild observation, not an in-depth analysis and argument. I'm aware of why the 7th gen saw such growth, why it subsequently lost most of it (anyone whose been a member here for more than a few years is likley to be well versed on both topics), and why the PS4 has ultimately been unremarkable in NA. The end result is still unremarkable though, and within the narrow context that my comment was aimed at, I stand by what I said. While the PS4 and X1 have remained stable, they've done so in what i'd personally consider a much easier market.