By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do people hate Anita Sarkeesian so much?

What do you think about Anita Sarkeesian?

l like her 3 5.00%

I don't like her, but I d... 7 11.67%

I dislike her 50 83.33%

Total:60

The vitriol against Sarkeesian? I'd guess, more than anything, it's because she sort of became a figurehead of the culture war. Her feminism is pretty run-of-the-mill, her points often rather obvious. She's good looking and mild, her videos are decent but not particularly entertaining or well made. It's rather amazing that she gained any sort of fame outside of a small circle, and I'd attribute that as much to her detractors as anything else. I don't know whether she wanted the controversy, but I'd guess it worked out pretty well for her.

Also, I've heard (over and over) that she misrepresents the games she's discussing, and claims about her raising large sums of cash -- without her products reflecting the sums she's raised -- do seem to me to have some validity. Then, at the height of her popularity/infamy, she made a big deal about her own victimization, deleting comments and cancelling appearances and such, with reference to insults and death threats, etc. Even though that sort of thing happens to all such controversial figures, Sarkeesian was given this special, sanctified status (I remember a friend of mine referring to her as a "hero"). That rubbed some folks, myself included, the wrong way.

In short, Sarkeesian was at the visible forefront of the ongoing movement to inject progressive politics into video game culture. Whatever her other virtues or sins, this was always going to earn her some amount of hatred.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
COKTOE said:

She was amazing on the Colbert Report. When Colbert asked her to name three games that were emblematic of "male power fantasies" , and she seemingly locked up, and tried to shift the conversation in another direction. Was asked a second time, and again tried to deflect the question. Then was asked again, and finally blorted out...."uhhh, Grand Theft Auto."

Out. Standing. Truly an expert in her field. Whatever that is.

I'm paraphrasing. Can't watch the video in Canada for a refresher.

She isn't wrong, is she? If you beat up hookers in GTA, you can get your money back.

That's a thing in GTA? I'm sorry, but I've never heard of that before. 

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
RolStoppable said:

She isn't wrong, is she? If you beat up hookers in GTA, you can get your money back.

Of course that is a thing. It's basic knowledge and not just among gamers.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/10312274/Grand-Theft-Auto-Five-things-were-all-guilty-of-doing.html

1) Pick up a prostitute

Even for a game with no morals, this was a real low point. Yet it is true that every GTAer worth their salt will have pulled up to the curb when they spotted a lady offering her services. The sequence of events that followed – the rocking of the car, the dent in the bank balance and the boost in health – would be enough to send even the maturest gamer into a fit of childish sniggering. Savvy players would then kill her, thereby getting back the spent cash.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

vivster said:
She is politely expressing her opinions while deliberately hiding facts that contradict her point. Yes, classy woman.

Yeah, I think the "ignoring facts that contradict her points" is the primary reason for the flack she gets. It's a trait that is often found in extremists (on all sides) who can't seem to view things from different angles.

For instance she described Hitman: Absolution as a game where "the player cannot help but treat female bodies as things to be acted upon, because they were designed, constructed and placed in the environment for that singular purpose. Players are meant to derive a perverse pleasure from desecrating the bodies of unsuspecting virtual female characters."

Here, she hides the fact that the game punishes the player for harming civilians as well as ignores the fact that the far majority of the characters that you are rewarded for killing are men. I know a (female) developer who worked on Hitman: Absolution who was quite disappointed by her coverage of the game (link). Often when someone tries to point these facts out to her, she censors them (turns off comments on YouTube, blocks people on Twitter, etc).

Personally, I don't have an opinion on Anita Sarkeesian and I certainly don't hate her. I think some of the things she stands for are legit and important but better handled by other women and men.

Last edited by Replicant - on 13 September 2018

RolStoppable said:
COKTOE said:

Of course that is a thing. It's basic knowledge and not just among gamers.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/10312274/Grand-Theft-Auto-Five-things-were-all-guilty-of-doing.html

1) Pick up a prostitute

Even for a game with no morals, this was a real low point. Yet it is true that every GTAer worth their salt will have pulled up to the curb when they spotted a lady offering her services. The sequence of events that followed – the rocking of the car, the dent in the bank balance and the boost in health – would be enough to send even the maturest gamer into a fit of childish sniggering. Savvy players would then kill her, thereby getting back the spent cash.

Oh my god. You're right! I've not only been oblivious to mainstream media coverage on the topic, but apparently missed dozens, if not hundreds, of pop-culture references spanning the last 2 decades. I always appreciate leaning something new. Thanks man. Could you edit the word sniggering from your post though?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
COKTOE said:

She was amazing on the Colbert Report. When Colbert asked her to name three games that were emblematic of "male power fantasies" , and she seemingly locked up, and tried to shift the conversation in another direction. Was asked a second time, and again tried to deflect the question. Then was asked again, and finally blorted out...."uhhh, Grand Theft Auto."

Out. Standing. Truly an expert in her field. Whatever that is.

I'm paraphrasing. Can't watch the video in Canada for a refresher.

To be fair money does not disappear when you kill someone. So if it where not there it would be even more odd. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Flilix said:

A quick Google search:

Dear Lord, she is so toxic. 

RolStoppable said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Ok, her comments about Iwata make me hate her more now.

Make a thread to express how displeased you are.

You make a thread about this. *puts dynamite in your mouth and lights it*

LuccaCardoso1 said:
vivster said:
She is politely expressing her opinions while deliberately hiding facts that contradict her point. Yes, classy woman.

Give me some examples please

Mystro-Sama said:

YIKES.

3 of those 6 are fake.

CaptainExplosion said:

Ok, her comments about Iwata make me hate her more now.

They're fake.

They looked real to me.

CaptainExplosion said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

Give me some examples please

3 of those 6 are fake.

They're fake.

They looked real to me.

And we all know that if it looks real, it is real. Just google "Anita Sarkeesian Iwata" and you'll see that they're all fake. But still, people choose to believe that they're real to try and confirm their previous beliefs. There are a lot of arguments you can make against Anita Sarkeesian, but using fake tweets as a way of attacking her is just strengthening her.

G O O D B O I

CaptainExplosion said:

They looked real to me.

How simple you are lol.