By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metacritic adds "Must-Play Game" badge to 90+ games

Is this a good development?

Yes, this is a positive thing for consumers. 11 35.48%

No, this will negatively impact developers. 15 48.39%

Maybe. 5 16.13%

Total:31

Metacritic has recently added a badge that basically says that it is a must-play game. This however is only given to games that rate higher than 90 (with minimum 15 professional reviews behind it).  

The list is seen here: https://www.metacritic.com/feature/metacritic-must-play-games

It turns out that only 4% of the database games total qualify for this badge.

What do you guys think? Do you think this is a good development for consumers to be aware of the greatest games? Or is it something that will negatively impact developers as they again scramble to get a high metacritic rating, as we know is very important to some of these companies?

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Jog on metacritic. I'm not going to play what you tell me to play!

The power of the  compels you!

I don't know.

More than a few people will be just fine if they skip something like Bloodborne or Monster Hunter World.

Great as those titles are, they're just not for everyone.

A 90+ score alone is typically good enough to catch people's attention.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

RolStoppable said:
I have Dead Cells and Sonic Mania Plus for Switch. I wouldn't recommend either game, let alone call them must plays.

I can understand the skepticism from your viewpoint Rol.

I don't think it'll change much honestly. having 90+ score is enough to convince most people. Open critic is better anyway.

Last edited by Eric2048 - on 12 September 2018

Around the Network

Yes,everything we needed. One more arbitrary badge that will cause nothing but fights and toxicity on the gaming industry.

10/10 idea, Finale's seal of quality.

Finale said:
Yes,everything we needed. One more arbitrary badge that will cause nothing but fights and toxicity on the gaming industry.

10/10 idea, Finale's seal of quality.

I give your comment 1 out of 1 thumbs up! Must-read comment.

RolStoppable said:
OTBWY said:

I can understand the skepticism from your viewpoint Rol.

Only the 62 of that list is a Switch game. And yes, I'd take that over Dead Cells and Sonic Mania Plus.

Maybe they should add a "Rol doesn't agree." badge. Matter of fact, they should add a thumbs down option just for you to give out here.

Ka-pi96 said:
OTBWY said:

I give your comment 1 out of 1 thumbs up! Must-read comment.

So umm... what happened to your 2nd thumb?

Up the bum of course. What else?

So below 90 MC won't be a "must-play", i think this is risky as hell, i mean you know.. a pack of bad stuff messages.

Best of luck for reviewers and game developers.