By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which is Your Favourite Tomb Raider Series?

 

Which is Your Favourite Tomb Raider Series?

First Series (I, II, III,... 223 28.85%
 
Second Series (Legend, An... 61 7.89%
 
Third Series (2013, Rise of, Shadow of) 311 40.23%
 
Lara Croft Series (Guardi... 6 0.78%
 
Handheld Series (Tomb Rai... 9 1.16%
 
Other - I Don't Like Any of Them 163 21.09%
 
Total:773

I definitely have some nostalgia for the original two Tomb Raider games for the original PlayStation going on, but really the current console series (the 2013 Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider) is my preference. The new Lara is just a more human and flexible character.

My absolute favorite installment in the franchise to date is definitely the 2013 console Tomb Raider reboot. It had the most genuinely compelling story and the most surprisingly dynamic character arc for Lara, plus less map clutter than Rise of the Tomb Raider and also than (to judge by the available preview footage anyway) Shadow of the Tomb Raider as well. It felt the most natural of all the games in the franchise to me. No wonder it's also been the top-seller among them! I feel that since then they've focused on making Lara into more of a superhuman type of character again and that's okay with me (I mean I get that this is an Indiana Jones-inspired franchise, after all), but not actually the way I'd prefer for this franchise to go at the end of the day.



Around the Network

The third series are clearly the better games but the first (first game) series brings back good nostalgia



PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Miyamotoo said:
Kyuu said:

Oh, I totally "get it"

People, including old players, can get on with times and develop new habits and tastes. See Resident Evil 4 vs TRUE Resident Evil games. Hundreds of thousands of old school Resident Evil fans ended up preferring RE4 even though it insultingly strayed from the series' essence.

And hey, no one is obliged to choose the superior game based on how they "felt for their time" That's just your criteria.

Eh, RE4 is bad example, critically its one of best games ever.

Well yeah, that's my point and that's I wrote, "I think that most people that didnt played first 3 games when they are out, are choosing some other series". If you didnt played TR1/TR2/TR3 you cant know how great those game were because we talking about 1st generation of 3D games and every game more less didnt aged well from that generation.

Well, if you wanna play critical reception... Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise of the Tomb Raider are both rated higher than all classic TR games except the original. Or is reception only applicable on Resident Evil?

Tomb Raider (91 Meta) > Tomb Raider 2013 (87 Meta) > Rise of the Tomb Raider (86 Meta) > Tomb Raider 2 (85 Meta) > The Last Revelation (79 GR) = Shadow of the Tomb Raider (83 X1/78 PS4 Meta) > Tomb Raider 3 (78 GR/76 Meta)


There is no objective truth to the original series being superior. Otherwise yes, TR reboot isn't faithful to its origin in the same manner RE4 wasn't (I'm sorry, but critical reception and innovations don't change that.)

I agree with the bolded but there are biases from both sides. This "essence" bias is probably the main reason why I favored RE1 Remake over RE4, and why I had and continue to have zero interest in the TR reboot.

fuallmofus said:
Kyuu said:

 

LOL RE4 revolutionized 3rd person action shooters! And it wasnt as stupid as RE6

RE4 was a great game but a crappy Resident Evil.

RE6 is rubbish.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 11 September 2018

CGI-Quality said:
Miyamotoo said:

From what I read most people here didnt play them at all or played them much later after they were released.

They may have, but a lot of people grew up with the the originals and still like the second series more (I’m in that category). 

Some, but when you read what people wrote here most people here didnt play them at all or played them much later after they were released.

 

Kyuu said: 
Miyamotoo said: 

Eh, RE4 is bad example, critically its one of best games ever.

Well yeah, that's my point and that's I wrote, "I think that most people that didnt played first 3 games when they are out, are choosing some other series". If you didnt played TR1/TR2/TR3 you cant know how great those game were because we talking about 1st generation of 3D games and every game more less didnt aged well from that generation.

Well, if you wanna play critical reception... Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise of the Tomb Raider are both rated higher than all classic TR games except the original. Or is reception only applicable on Resident Evil?

Tomb Raider (91 Meta) > Tomb Raider 2013 (87 Meta) > Rise of the Tomb Raider (86 Meta) > Tomb Raider 2 (85 Meta) > The Last Revelation (79 GR) = Shadow of the Tomb Raider (83 X1/78 PS4 Meta) > Tomb Raider 3 (78 GR/76 Meta)


There is no objective truth to the original series being superior. Otherwise yes, TR reboot isn't faithful to its origin in the same manner RE4 wasn't (I'm sorry, but critical reception and innovations don't change that.)

I agree with the bolded but there are biases from both sides. This "essence" bias is probably the main reason why I favored RE1 Remake over RE4, and why I had and continue to have zero interest in the TR reboot.

No I dont want to play play critical reception because critical reception from 5. and 8. generation were not exactly same, not to mentione that in 2013. action games are generally were very popular and that definitely affect scores. I just pointing that RE4 is very bad example because we talking about one best games ever generally not just easily best critically acclaimed RE game, RE4 has score 96 while second best RE game has score of 91, so its obvious we talking about much bigger difrence in any case compared to Tomb Raider series.

No, there is no objective true about preference of games, but that isnt my point.

I also prefer RE1 Remake and for me its best RE game, but RE1 Remake is more expection than rule, because it keeped all good stuffs from original RE1 and actually make them better with addition of better graphics, presentations...while I played Tomb Raider Anniversary plenty of things was lost from original game like atmosphere, game was dumb down and was much easier..



Miyamotoo said:
CGI-Quality said:

They may have, but a lot of people grew up with the the originals and still like the second series more (I’m in that category). 

Some, but when you read what people wrote here most people here didnt play them at all or played them much later after they were released.

Doesn't change anything. Those who did play them don't all agree with what you're saying. Not really something you can argue.



                                                                                                                                                           

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Miyamotoo said:

Some, but when you read what people wrote here most people here didnt play them at all or played them much later after they were released.

Doesn't change anything. Those who did play them don't all agree with what you're saying. Not really something you can argue.

Who said that change something and who said that all that played them all agree with me? You are one that trying to argue here.



I really love the Legend, Anniversary, Underworld trilogy. I got tired of the originals around TR3 but kept buying out of habit. My favorite is the current one, I though. Possibly my favorite franchise in all of gaming right now, actually.



Twitter: @d21lewis

Miyamotoo said:
CGI-Quality said:

Doesn't change anything. Those who did play them don't all agree with what you're saying. Not really something you can argue.

Who said that change something and who said that all that played them all agree with me? You are one that trying to argue here.

"From what I read most people here didnt play them at all or played them much later after they were released".

"I think that most people that didnt played first 3 games when they are out, are choosing some other series, so most people don't realise that TR1/TR2/TR3 were one of best games of its generations, and we talking about generation with plenty of greats games."

That is your argument (as long as you continue to reply, you're involved in an argument). Your initial implication was that people who haven't played the earlier games can't know why they're 'better'. I'm saying many of us have played those games and still prefer what we're calling the second series. Besides, even if people haven't played the originals, there's no rule that says they are better. Outside of the nostalgic element, they're many steps behind some of the newer games in regards to gameplay. I'm simply saying that people can't be proven wrong either way (hence the no argument bit). In my eyes, the second series has the best balance of the bunch. 

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 12 September 2018

                                                                                                                                                           

CGI-Quality said:
Miyamotoo said:

Who said that change something and who said that all that played them all agree with me? You are one that trying to argue here.

"From what I read most people here didnt play them at all or played them much later after they were released".

"I think that most people that didnt played first 3 games when they are out, are choosing some other series, so most people don't realise that TR1/TR2/TR3 were one of best games of its generations, and we talking about generation with plenty of greats games."

That is your argument (as long as you continue to reply, you're involved in an argument). Your initial implication was that people who haven't played the earlier games can't know why they're 'better'. I'm saying many of us have played those games and still prefer what we're calling the second series. Besides, even if people haven't played the originals, there's no rule that says they are better. Outside of the nostalgic element, they're many steps behind some of the newer games in regards to gameplay.

So, in my eyes, the second series is the best balance of the bunch. 

Yeah, and I stand behind I wrote. I never said they can't know why they're 'better' but that they cant know how much good they were when they released compared to generation/s later, espacily because we talking about 1st generation of 3rd party games that later aged poorly. Also, I never said that all who play them back then think that those are best TR games. You keep arguing with things that I didn't said.



Miyamotoo said:

Yeah, and I stand behind I wrote. I never said they can't know why they're 'better' but that they cant know how much good they were when they released compared to generation/s later, espacily because we talking about 1rst generation of 3rd party games that later aged poorly. Also, I never said that all who play them back then think that those are best TR games.

I think you read too far into things.

And, I'm not telling you not to stand behind what you wrote. I just disagree with it.