By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Update: Latest rumor shows casting for a white Ciri | Original: Netflix looking for non-white actress to play Ciri in the Witcher tv series

DonFerrari said:
shikamaru317 said:

Ghostbusters 2016 was a shitshow, no doubt about that. There is alot of blame to go around for why it ended up so poor, the blame falls partly on everyone involved. If you look at the ingredients separately it feels like the movie had potential, you had a director who had done good work in the past, you had a producer who produced the original movies, you had multiple lead actors who had a comedy background and were well liked by many people. So, on the surface at least, it felt like the movie could have been good. The end result though was a terrible mess that felt more like a bad parody of the original Ghostbusters movies than a homage to them. I will say that I didn't take part in the hate campaign against anyone involved with the movie, it was a terrible movie but I felt no need to hate on those involved. I watched it, hated it, and moved on with my life, regretting the fact that Bill Murray held up Ghostbusters 3 so long that Harold Ramis died before it could be made.

I also didn't post anything of hate for the movie, just still didn't got around to go and watch (it is always on my maybe list, as was deathnote and I'm 2/3 in and finding it to be shit). But I do agree with you that it may be a case of a lot of good things that when mixed turns terrible. I didn't see her replies, but if she stood her ground without attacking back and accusing fans of any "ism" then she deserves respect.

My problem with Deathnote was not the casting, it was how light was portrayed.  Needless to say since you did not finish it, I will say only at the end does he come close to how the character is portrayed in the anime.  Bleach on the other hand is actually pretty good.  

Last edited by Machiavellian - on 20 September 2018

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
DonFerrari said:

I also didn't post anything of hate for the movie, just still didn't got around to go and watch (it is always on my maybe list, as was deathnote and I'm 2/3 in and finding it to be shit). But I do agree with you that it may be a case of a lot of good things that when mixed turns terrible. I didn't see her replies, but if she stood her ground without attacking back and accusing fans of any "ism" then she deserves respect.

My probably with Deathnote was not the casting, it was how light was portrayed.  Needless to say since you did not finish it, I will say only at the end does he come close to how the character is portrayed in the anime.  Bleach on the other hand is actually pretty good.  

Yes I didn't bother with the race of the chars since they changed locations anyway (although the reasoning for the name Kira was ridiculous). The thing is trash after trash and he is so dumb that it's unbelievable... I'll try to finish anyway.

And about the discussion Machiavellian, if you read all the replies you'll see that the complains doesn't have to do with book saying she is white and the show making her non-white, it have to do with the heritage and royalty being core to the story.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Machiavellian said:

My probably with Deathnote was not the casting, it was how light was portrayed.  Needless to say since you did not finish it, I will say only at the end does he come close to how the character is portrayed in the anime.  Bleach on the other hand is actually pretty good.  

Yes I didn't bother with the race of the chars since they changed locations anyway (although the reasoning for the name Kira was ridiculous). The thing is trash after trash and he is so dumb that it's unbelievable... I'll try to finish anyway.

And about the discussion Machiavellian, if you read all the replies you'll see that the complains doesn't have to do with book saying she is white and the show making her non-white, it have to do with the heritage and royalty being core to the story.

Would it really matter if the people Ciri came from was not white.  In other words, in a fiction story like the Witcher, its not beholden to our ideas what a dark skinned person is.  Let say they make Ciri black and the blackest person they could find.  If they changed her people to being black, but kept everything the same as far as her people's heritage, would it really make a difference.  The difference is that you would view Ciri as black but not based on the book and it's lore but instead what your ideal of what a black person is  This is really what people are arguing about.  I see Ciri as white and I can identify with that.  You change her complexion to black or anything else then I have to identify with what I see as black, Asian, hispanic etc.  I believe your points are more on an identify issue then a one of complexion. 

Last edited by Machiavellian - on 20 September 2018

Machiavellian said:
DonFerrari said:

Would it really matter if the people Ciri came from was not white.  In other words, in a fiction story like the Witcher, its not beholden to our ideas what a dark skinned person is.  Let say they make Ciri black and the blackest person they could fine.  If they changed her people to being black, but kept everything the same as far as her people heritage.  Would it really make a difference.  The difference is that you would view Ciri as black but not based on book and it's lore but instead what your ideal of what a black person is  This is really what people are arguing about.  I see Ciri as white and I can identify with that.  You change her complexion to black or anything else then I have to identify with what I see as black, Asian, hispanic etc.  I believe your points are more on an identify issue then a one of complexion. 

If everyone from Ciri family and people were of the same ethnicity I would have 0 issue it. One problem on the original rumor is that they only decided on not-white so would they decide the ethnicity of most of the cast after they choose Ciri (because they even didn't decide for black, arabic, asian or anything, just not-white), and I doubt they have hold out all other auctions until they decide on Ciri after choosing her.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Machiavellian said:
DonFerrari said:

Would it really matter if the people Ciri came from was not white.  In other words, in a fiction story like the Witcher, its not beholden to our ideas what a dark skinned person is.  Let say they make Ciri black and the blackest person they could find.  If they changed her people to being black, but kept everything the same as far as her people's heritage, would it really make a difference.  The difference is that you would view Ciri as black but not based on the book and it's lore but instead what your ideal of what a black person is  This is really what people are arguing about.  I see Ciri as white and I can identify with that.  You change her complexion to black or anything else then I have to identify with what I see as black, Asian, hispanic etc.  I believe your points are more on an identify issue then a one of complexion. 

They can do that - that is, make whole Cintra non-white. As I explained several times already in the thread, they then need to change pretty much every kingdom south of Cintra as well, cause geographically it would make zero sense for them to remain white. Which not only changes lore quite a bit, but makes main bad guys, Niflgaardians, non-white as well - and I don't think that would be quite welcomed in this political climate.

There was quite elegant solution if they just had to mess with what is fantasy world built heavily on European history and traditions (and I understand that non-Europeans might have harder time realizing that), by including some characters from either Zerrikania or Ofir - I'd say Zerrikania with their Golden Dragon roots might be more interesting choice, but Ofir with their mix of Ottoman and North African culture would be great as well.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
Machiavellian said:

They can do that - that is, make whole Cintra non-white. As I explained several times already in the thread, they then need to change pretty much every kingdom south of Cintra as well, cause geographically it would make zero sense for them to remain white. Which not only changes lore quite a bit, but makes main bad guys, Niflgaardians, non-white as well - and I don't think that would be quite welcomed in this political climate.

There was quite elegant solution if they just had to mess with what is fantasy world built heavily on European history and traditions (and I understand that non-Europeans might have harder time realizing that), by including some characters from either Zerrikania or Ofir - I'd say Zerrikania with their Golden Dragon roots might be more interesting choice, but Ofir with their mix of Ottoman and North African culture would be great as well.

Not sure why the geography (South/North) would really be impacted. When you are bellow the equator the more north you are more sun there is and darker skins, the more south you are less sun and lighter your skin.

Also in their world North and South could be reversed (as our N/S also reverse every so many mileniums), their planet could rotate in the opposite direction, etc. I don't see any problem in geography that would prevent this change. There the sun could even circle north to south (or reverse) and then skin color change from east to west.

But please elaborate in the geographical limitations (because if they decide to make all Cintra a specific race that isn't white, they can make the same to all other races and change their races and still make sense).

DonFerrari said:
HoloDust said:

Not sure why the geography (South/North) would really be impacted. When you are bellow the equator the more north you are more sun there is and darker skins, the more south you are less sun and lighter your skin.

Also in their world North and South could be reversed (as our N/S also reverse every so many mileniums), their planet could rotate in the opposite direction, etc. I don't see any problem in geography that would prevent this change. There the sun could even circle north to south (or reverse) and then skin color change from east to west.

But please elaborate in the geographical limitations (because if they decide to make all Cintra a specific race that isn't white, they can make the same to all other races and change their races and still make sense).

@bold - In Witcher it is well established that further you go to north it gets colder and to the south, across the sea, are lands of Ofir and Zangvebar - which are portrayed pretty much as NE or E Africa.

Yes, technically you can change everything - even without making any logical sense - but that is not really Witcher anymore.

HoloDust said:
DonFerrari said:

@bold - In Witcher it is well established that further you go to north it gets colder and to the south, across the sea, are lands of Ofir and Zangvebar - which are portrayed pretty much as NE or E Africa.

Yes, technically you can change everything - even without making any logical sense - but that is not really Witcher anymore.

reversing poles isn't exactly changing everything. It's just because the book is based on Norse myth and their world being conceived at the land they knew. No big change in looking at it reversed in any of the conditions I made, at least nothing that would break the history (but I agree that Ciri being adopted or differente race and look from her relatives and subjects would be strange and potentialy break the game.

DonFerrari said:
HoloDust said:

reversing poles isn't exactly changing everything. It's just because the book is based on Norse myth and their world being conceived at the land they knew. No big change in looking at it reversed in any of the conditions I made, at least nothing that would break the history (but I agree that Ciri being adopted or differente race and look from her relatives and subjects would be strange and potentialy break the game.

Not saying that reversing where is cold and where is hot is changing everything - but it would change significant amount of lore.

Take Kaedwen (White Forest in Elder Speech), for example - where Kaer Morhen lies, witcher fortress - it is described as having cold and unforgiving climate. Can it be reversed - sure, it can be hot and dry. Nothing particularly problematic, you just need to change everything else as well as you go south. But when you start this Ciri chain reaction, I think you end up changing so much things that it's not really Sapkowksi's world of Witcher anymore in the end.

Honestly (though that would get a lot of flak as well) it would be much easier to make Geralt half Zerrikanian for example - let's say his (presumed) father Korin was Zerrikanian (not in lore) and  had Geralt while fighting along his mother sorceress Visenna - that actually wouldn't change much. But change Ciri and you get chain reaction of changes to the lore. And for no good reason at that.

HoloDust said:
DonFerrari said:

Not saying that reversing where is cold and where is hot is changing everything - but it would change significant amount of lore.

Take Kaedwen (White Forest in Elder Speech), for example - where Kaer Morhen lies, witcher fortress - it is described as having cold and unforgiving climate. Can it be reversed - sure, it can be hot and dry. Nothing particularly problematic, you just need to change everything else as well as you go south. But when you start this Ciri chain reaction, I think you end up changing so much things that it's not really Sapkowksi's world of Witcher anymore in the end.

Honestly (though that would get a lot of flak as well) it would be much easier to make Geralt half Zerrikanian for example - let's say his (presumed) father Korin was Zerrikanian (not in lore) and  had Geralt while fighting along his mother sorceress Visenna - that actually wouldn't change much. But change Ciri and you get chain reaction of changes to the lore. And for no good reason at that.

You can have mountain with a lot of ice and cold even in the desert or hot climate, so no problem there. Just like kilimanjaro. Or even have magic power making the climate very cold and hostile to prevent trespasser.

But yes I still find it dumb to make Ciri non-white and then have to change a lot of stuff just to make room for that instead of making Gerard or any person that doesn't have his lineage as relevant as her.