By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you expect from the next Nintendo Direct ?

We're in September, and you know what that means: a new Nintendo Direct is right around the corner! Normally I don't like to make assumptions like this without official statements but I think this time it's ok to do so: since the Nintendo Directs were introduced there's always been at least one Nintendo Direct in September, the only exception was 2015 when Nintendo was facing the internal turmoil following Iwata's passing and the negative feedback from E3, that prevented them to have anything exciting to show off to justify making a Direct. Additionally in recent years Nintendo seems to prefer to show off their lineup for the Fall season in September in order to let fans know what exactly is coming and when aswell as giving glimpses of what's to come in the following year, as we've seen in 2017 where both Kirby and Octopath Traveler were shown among others.

Now, since the rumors about a new Direct are rising (but still unreliable) to me it seems like the perfect time to check what people want/predict to see in this new Nintendo Direct: Do you expect many big announcements or will Nintendo hold their gun for a little more, perhaps until The Game Awards ? What would you like to see and what would make for you a good Direct right now.

Here's to my prediction/expectation: 

-Super Mario Party: the game is one of the main reasons I think this Direct will happen, it's releasing October 5th and Nintendo certainly wants to advertise it more, it'd be foolish of them to wait until 5 days or less from release to do so;

-Pokémon Let's GO: some new gameplay from areas we haven't seen yet, possibly new zones that expand to the original game i.e. Sevii Islands;

-Smash Ultimate: no brainer, but still less likely than the previous two, I think they could just end the Direct with a single character announcement, leaving the mysterous new mode and other characters for another Direct, but then again they might want to skip this one to relieve the Smash pressure and then hit with another Smash Direct down the line;

-One GOOD Wii U port for 2018: I think Nintendo realizes that Pokémon Let's GO doesn't cater to the same audience as a regular Pokémon game since GameFreak themselves described it as a casual-oriented game, this leads me to believe Nintendo might want to have another title to fill the gap for those users in late October/November. Still Nintendo is Nintendo, they won't announce and release a brand new game within 3 months, this means only one thing: more ports ! I think the most likely pick would be Super Mario Maker, followed by Wind Waker HD and Super Mario 3D World, I myself would love Xenoblade X, but I think it'd be too close to Torna, they'll probably save it for 2019;

-Yoshi: Yoshi needs to show up, you know how long it's been since we've seen this game ? 15 months, it was shown for the first and last time at E3 2017, Nintendo said development is progressing smoothly and, considering it was meant to come out this year, it only makes sense for it to be part of Nintendo's lineup for early 2019;

-Fire Emblem Three Houses: This is a tricky one, I think it'd be smart of them to start showcasing the game, Nintendo sent the clear message that they want the series to become one of their main IPs and this could be the right time to give the extra push it needs to become that: fans have been waiting for a home console Fire Emblem for a long time, and it only makes sense to start building the hype now, though I could see them holding off until November/December;

-Many third party titles and surprise ports, possibly releasing in 2018;

-One game we don't know anything about (for Nintendo): Nintendo likes to have surprises in their Directs, and let's be real, Wii U ports aren't, we know many teams inside and outside of Nintendo are working on titles for 2019, which will likely have a much stronger lineup than 2018, I think giving us something about that might give the fans an easier time going through the last months of 2018, it's really hard to say, it could be the "close to completion in 2015" Pikmin 4, the Star Fox Racing game allegedly in development at Retro Studios, a new Animal Crossing or possibly a new IP, there's only one thing I'm sure: it's not Pokémon 2019, they don't want to cut the sales of Let's GO showing a better game before release :p (also similarly I wouldn't bet on a new Luigi's Mansion)

Last edited by Luke888 - on 04 September 2018

Around the Network

My predictions are pretty similar to yours:

-Super Mario Party as the main focus (similar to Mario tennis)
-New character reveal for Smash Ultimate. I don't think we'll see the mysterious new mode just yet.
-New Super Mario Bros Deluxe
-One or two big third-party ports (like Doom and Wolfenstein)
-Pokemon Let's Go gets shown some more
-Yoshi and Fire Emblem Three Houses will be shown briefly.
-Some 3DS games, like Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story remastered.

Games and maybe a little Reggie or Koizumi.

Super Mario Party
Pokemon LG update
Third party announcement similar to the Doom one
Yoshi update
Fire Emblem TH

Hopeful part: A trailer for either Bayonetta 3 or Prime 4 but these two are most likely going to be in the January direct.

- Super Mario Party
- Deamon X Machina
- Yoshi
- Fire Emblem Three Houses
- Pokemon Let's Go
- Smash Bros.
- Third Party games
- something special

Around the Network

Crushing disappointment

Smash trailer, it will reveal Skull Kid. The new pokemon in let's go, plus any new content that they decide to add. A new trailer for Yoshi Switch. A trailer for Fire emblem only if it is coming out this fiscal year. Recap for Super Mario Party. A new Shin Megami Tensei V. A bunch of ports, I think Square Enix will have a lot of representation in this direct now that Octopath is done with. With the bad reception of the E3 direct, they are gonna have one big surprise. No idea what it will be though

So here are my predictions:
-Starts off with 3DS, a couple more ports/remasters, date for bowser's inside story, and link's awakening remake reveal.
-Super Mario Party is the "spotlight" game, will have a 5-7 minute segment in the middle with narrator describing the game.
-No Metroid Prime 4, no bayonetta 3, no retro's game, no animal crossing, no yoshi, no pokemon 19. People need to temper their expectations.
-Another trailer for FE: Three Houses giving us more more info about the game in general,and a release date. but it won't be a full blowout, which will be saved for a specific Fire Emblem direct for early next year.
-Another trailer for Travis Skrikes Again, reiterating the January 18 date
- Trailer and release date for Diablo 3
Wolfenstein Youngblood coming to Switch day and date, ported by panic button (apparently this was leaked by Gamestop Database some time ago)
-Spyro trilogy coming to Switch, though a bit later, probably early 2019 (too many leaks have happened for this not to be true)
- Montage of upcoming Switch games (starlink, undertale, megaman 11, trials rising, etc)
-Another trailer for Daemon X Machina
- A major Wii U port. (Either Mario Maker, Super Mario 3D world, or Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD)
-Ends with a new character reveal for Smash. (the blurred out mode will be saved for reveal reveal in a smash-specific direct in October or November)
-And a couple of more ports of smaller games from third parties.

edit: -A brand new game revealed (a second tier game, something along the lines of mario tennis aces or kirby)

edit: On second thought, I don't think Bethesda will like to divert attention to from Fallout 76, so I think the Fallout 4 for Switch announcement might be made next year instead.

Also same with Rockstar in terms of a GTA V port for Switch, since they probably don't wanna take attention from RDR2. Both these ports will happen next year, imo.

Last edited by flashfire926 - on 04 September 2018

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Paid Online details

Some nice 3rd Party surprises

Fire Emblem Three Houses details

Something Bravely related

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe

Yoshi details

New Smash character (either Skull Kid or Issac) with a beta on the same day as the paid online service

Side note: I don't think Star Fox Grand Prix is gonna show up during it, I think that will be a early 2019 reveal since according to some of the leakers it is set for a Summer 2019 release.

I expect to be feeling a bit down as I doubt the direct will have much for me. The biggest games they're most certainly gonna talk about are Smash, Mario Party, and Pokemon, the latter two I have no interest in, and Smash I don't really need to see more of. If this direct takes place this month, I suppose they could announce what they plan to do with Splatoon 2's future updates, but otherwise eh.