By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest XI Thoughts

It's 12:30 a.m. and I just got back from my 24 hour convenient store with their only copy of DQXI. I live in a well-populated area just outside of Chicago so I'm a little concerned that they only had one copy.

It just finished installing and I'm about to play. I'll post my thoughts tomorrow. Also, for those that were complaining about the American box art being a watered down version of Toriyama's artwork, I want to point out that the sleeve is reversible and has the Japanese version on the back.

The day one patch is about 10 GB.

Around the Network

cant wait to get mine later. Been looking forward to it for a long time. hopefully it lives up to my own self hype for it

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Already got it, but won't be able to see it in action till later tonight.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Tell me how it goes, guys.

Still need to download it on steam. But I own a Japanese copy and what I have played seems like a regular DQ with some added bells and whistles.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Still need to download it on steam. But I own a Japanese copy and what I have played seems like a regular DQ with some added bells and whistles.

Ummm..... yea. I mean.... not much else to say. I wont officially start it until I get my FfX/X-2 plats. Nothing has me jumping to get into it immediately.

Downloading now. It's 30gigs big. Probably 10 times bigger than all other DQ games combined

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I´ve seen some people say the game is on the easier side compared to previous DQ games, but the Western version comes with options to make the game harder.Are you gonna try these options?

I haven't found any dual audio option so I assume there isn't.
Generic Childhood friend english VA makes the first 30 minutes a living hell.
Not a native english speaker, but I do feel SE went a bit overboard on the local part of localization, gotta love strong accents and I think I heard a few weird local dialect sounding words.
Graphics are incredible, and overall the game does what DQ does best so far, a extremely classical royal road JRPG.
Dual sword seems the way to go early game, and I was glad to learn you can re-attribute skill points during the second half of the game.
Also Erik is hot as expected.

Played for about an hour yesterday. It's cool, though the bonuses you get from preorder are a bit too good and as such too tempting to use. I have not yet passed the point I've been in the Japanese version but it seems fine. It looks gorgeous and I'm really impressed by the higher quality textures they used for the environment. I'd argue they're even better than the ones used in MHW even though they absolutely don't need to.

There are two giant problems though.

1. The Japanese voice is not included, which gives you only the option to either bear the english voices, which so far haven't been bad but still ruin the experience or go completely mute. It doesn't make any sense not to have it.
2. It is impossible to bind movement and menu navigation on the same keys as they are on controller. This is really annoying when I try to play on my couch where I only have keyboard and I have to constantly switch between WASD and arrow keys. Another stupid thing that really shouldn't exist.

It also kinda sucks that it's locked to 60fps. It felt kinda choppy to me because I'm used to 144Hz. Another thing that just shouldn't be.

Overall it's fine but I would still rather play it on mobile than on PC.