By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Boss: Fortnite On PlayStation 4 Is The Best Experience For Users

Liquid_faction said:

Of course, Fortnite doesn't need any help in the playerbase area. But what happens when another game that is less popular than Fortnite comes around. Infinite Warfare (or was it Advanced Warfare) for the Windows Store version had so little players, that it had to issue refunds days after the game was bought. It could happen, especially since PSN is 2-3 times bigger than the other competition. Nintendo and Xbox want Crossplay because it benefits them, there is literally nothing for them to lose if they get Crossplay. Sony on the other hand, because of its current dominance in the market, has a lot more to lose. There is a group of 10 friends that want to play Fortnite, 4 of them want to get a PS4. If they all want to play together, the other 6 would have to buy a PS4. Now if Crossplay was implemented, the other 6 could buy a Switch or Xbone. That is six players that could potentially go to the Playstation ecosystem, but because Crossplay was available, go somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, the whole locking down your account is stupid and I condemn that. It was a scummy move all around, but I'm also a realistically looking at Sony as a business. People seem to forget that these are businesses and they will do everything they can to get money. I don't have any imaginary expectations that Sony will treat their costumers like they are family. No business does that. Period. If all this outrage actually slowed down the sales of the PS4, then Crossplay might be implemented. But it seems like people just want to jump on the bandwagon and post their opinions online while also play and buy PS4 games. 

The overwhelming majority of gamers don't actually care about crossplay itself and it's hard to blame them when they're playing on a platform with a healthy user base.  They'd probably never notice it one way or the other.  That's just the truth.  Many of those who do seem to care would change their stance in a heartbeat if their platform of choice opted against crossplay.

There are situations where it does become intrinsically important to players, such as the beginning of this generation when games skipped Xbox because they refused crossplay.  That hurt the user base because it denied them access to a particular game.  That same situation might come up in the future with Playstation.

The ones who really care are the developers and publishers.  Why?  Because it saves them a lot of money and work.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass if the person I'm blowing up is on Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, or the Sunway TaihuLight supercomputer.  I just don't care.  However, if it means losing out on games, that's another matter entirely.

As for "Sony is arrogant," sure, why not.  If we're talking about PR then Nintendo and Microsoft are well-known for being "arrogant," as well.  If we're talking about corporate decision making then the ONLY time any of them are NOT "arrogant" is when they've lost market share.  That's business.

Last edited by pokoko - on 31 August 2018

Around the Network

Well that is arrogant

Oh, that's some really bad wording. He could have just said "we're doing it #4themoney" and it wouldn't have been much worse.

Lmao! They rather play with people who use touch screens, mouses and keyboards! And internet connections that use 3G and Below! 

Last edited by Jranation - on 31 August 2018

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Yomieeee said:

So he thinks the user experience on PS4 is on the same level as iOS.... but not Switch or Xbox?

Lol yep! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Good. Hope they hold on to that policy and do CP as little as possible. It's more than enough as it is now. To high the risk its getting out of hand and particular companies feel tempted to make profit at the expenses of others and rest their laurels on GaaS BS.

Hunting Season is done...

Jesus Christ Sony is a shitty company

John2290 said:
Thank you Sony for telling the truth, bad wording and you forgot to mention the platform that are superior like K&M players on beastly PC's but yes, Parity can not be achieved and it is unfair to the ps4 player base, the majority who don't complain about thing like this on the internet to play against someone on a bus not paying attention to the 360p displayed to them or a K&M player. We pay you for your closed service and I for one am thankful this won't bleed into the games I play online on my ps4.

Ummmm..... PS4 users are playing with PC and Smartphone users. So Yes! You guys are playing with people on the bus! Who uses touch screen! And mouse and keyboards! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Ka-pi96 said:
I hope they stand firm on their position. I don't want cross play on PS platforms, ever.

Why not?

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
hope they never allow it, let them scream like this affects them at all xD

Some are affected. There are PS4 owners who also own a Switch for example but they are unable to access the same account on both devices due to Sony's policy. They're very much affected and if that PS4 had been an XBox 1, the issue would not have existed.

Third parties care about it too.

cycycychris said:
Lol, the best experience is on Xbox X for console. If you want to continue to act this way Sony then at least stop holding accounts hostage.

Crossplay for me is not that important. A shame I won't potentially be able to play with some users here on vg but it's not the end of the world.

Taking accounts hostage however is utter BS of a higher degree and it's the bigger problem with Sony's current anti-gamer policies.

COKTOE said:
Ka-pi96 said:
I hope they stand firm on their position. I don't want cross play on PS platforms, ever.

I'm with you buddy!    I hope they clamp down even harder!

Why?

Aeolus451 said:
😹 I very much like honest companies. Both Nintendo and MS didn't want crossplay with Sony in the previous gen so why should Sony care about it now? MS and Nintendo trying to pull a PR stunt with this crossplay stuff.

Sony should know that if they paint a bullseye, Nintendo and Microsoft are likely going to take shots at it.

That's how competition in a free market works after all. I take it you're familiar with capitalism and competition in a market?

Aeolus451 said:
They only want it so they don't have to compete against the size of Sony's player base.

I really hate it when this sort of speculation takes place. I find it comparable to other tactics like "playing the race card" for example.

bubblegamer said:
It's not like he's wrong.

I disagree. Playing Fortnite on PlayStation locks out the ability to play on more platforms than playing on XB1/Switch.

Please observe the hastily-drawn diagram below:

Due to Sony's hijacking of Fortnite accounts, accounts cannot freely migrate between all platforms. For an account associated with Switch/X1, there are four platforms through which a player can play their Fortnite account. For the alternative, there are only three options.

As I'm sure you know, 4 > 3.

Through a similar logic, more options > less options.

pokoko said:
Liquid_faction said:

Of course, Fortnite doesn't need any help in the playerbase area. But what happens when another game that is less popular than Fortnite comes around. Infinite Warfare (or was it Advanced Warfare) for the Windows Store version had so little players, that it had to issue refunds days after the game was bought. It could happen, especially since PSN is 2-3 times bigger than the other competition. Nintendo and Xbox want Crossplay because it benefits them, there is literally nothing for them to lose if they get Crossplay. Sony on the other hand, because of its current dominance in the market, has a lot more to lose. There is a group of 10 friends that want to play Fortnite, 4 of them want to get a PS4. If they all want to play together, the other 6 would have to buy a PS4. Now if Crossplay was implemented, the other 6 could buy a Switch or Xbone. That is six players that could potentially go to the Playstation ecosystem, but because Crossplay was available, go somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, the whole locking down your account is stupid and I condemn that. It was a scummy move all around, but I'm also a realistically looking at Sony as a business. People seem to forget that these are businesses and they will do everything they can to get money. I don't have any imaginary expectations that Sony will treat their costumers like they are family. No business does that. Period. If all this outrage actually slowed down the sales of the PS4, then Crossplay might be implemented. But it seems like people just want to jump on the bandwagon and post their opinions online while also play and buy PS4 games. 

The overwhelming majority of gamers don't actually care about crossplay itself and it's hard to blame them when they're playing on a platform with a healthy user base.  They'd probably never notice it one way or the other.  That's just the truth.  Many of those who do seem to care would change their stance in a heartbeat if their platform of choice opted against crossplay.

There are situations where it does become intrinsically important to players, such as the beginning of this generation when games skipped Xbox because they refused crossplay.  That hurt the user base because it denied them access to a particular game.  That same situation might come up in the future with Playstation.

The ones who really care are the developers and publishers.  Why?  Because it saves them a lot of money and work.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass if the person I'm blowing up is on Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, or the Sunway TaihuLight supercomputer.  I just don't care.  However, if it means losing out on games, that's another matter entirely.

As for "Sony is arrogant," sure, why not.  If we're talking about PR then Nintendo and Microsoft are well-known for being "arrogant," as well.  If we're talking about corporate decision making then the ONLY time any of them are NOT "arrogant" is when they've lost market share.  That's business.

Very well said.  The truth is that this isn't hurting them, nor will it.  A couple devs may talk a big game, but they aen't going to give up on a userbase that is going to grow to 100M+.  I do wish they would free up items bought on their console to be used elsewhere, but as far as actual crossplay is concerned, the vast majority don't care.  Sony knows if they keep churning out 1st class exclusives, keep prices reasonable, and offer a dependable online service, people will keep buying their console in droves.  Next gen will be no different.  In fact, with PS5 most likely being B/C out of the gate (hopefully with all the PS consoles), and rumored to be the only console using the new Navi tech, I'd say next gen is looking really good for them.