By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Boss: Fortnite On PlayStation 4 Is The Best Experience For Users

deskpro2k3 said:
KLAMarine said:

I feel they've been clear enough.

It's clear they're lazy to fix the balancing issue. Maybe then crossplay would be a thing. at least that's what I think is the problem.

Crossplay is already a thing. What's really an issue is Sony hijacking Fortnite accounts.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
What puzzles me on this topic is the contradictions and inconsistency of the gamers.
They complained last gen when MS didn't want to provide Cross Play support and now that the industry has turned around and all companies are dipping there toes in it, even Nintendo, Sony decides to throw it in everyone's face and say we wont be part of it because we are the top selling console, even worse claiming a better experience.. This is Fortnite, not some 1st party big AAA exclusive. Fortnite wont play any better with or without cross play (Hence Sony's BS response)

As a gamer, why is this a bad thing? How does it affect the PlayStation gamers? Do they not know there are many gamers with multiple systems, there are actually gamers without PS4s. I don't get why some gamers don't want this, okay that's fine, you don't need to care about it BUT to say there with Sony on this is a sad reason for a company to get away with this anti consumer practice. Same goes for BC, many on this site also stuck up for Sony with the lack of BC on PS4.. Why? It mind baffles me. Cross Play extends the life of a product. It puts friends togethers that own different consoles.

What's even worse is to think if this was MS PR, how would the exact same few hating on the cross play feature react if MS was the one not Sony saying this?
When I grew up, this was all but a dream in the 90s, to see companies playing together increasing our own experiences, todays modern gamers are so spoilt for choice and throw down the options when basically we can get them for free that doesn't hurt anyone. I guess greed for a company is more important than the actual fun of the business.

I can't speak for everyone but here is my take...

During the PS360 Era I did not perceive much of a fuss or backlash for MS choosing to turn down Crossplay. Sure, everyone acknowledged it could be beneficial but the conversation quickly was discarded. Like its just mind boggling that the Studio who basically invented Crossplay and offered to open doors between them and their competitors is now being ridiculed and torn down because after being turned down they have rescinded the offer. Like honestly, it was a sound business decision for Microsoft then just as it is now for Sony. Crossplay is a feature that pretty much only benefits the losers on the business side. Business do not  usually extend benefits to consumers unless it is mutually beneficial financially. Like what is the real loss for Sony if they don't offer Crossplay? The 80 million something PS4 owners are now going to turn around and sell their systems to buy one of their competitors that don't even come up to their current userbase combined? Is Crossplay suppose to appeal and encourage more people to buy a PS4 somehow? 

Also note, I feel like the hyperbole of Sony's stance in this is actually a facade to bring them down and tarnish their current standing. Microsoft for one looooooves to bring up Crossplay in conversation because is casts a negative light on Sony and makes them look like the bad guy. Especially as we inch closer to Next Gen, MS is definitely hoping they can keep this torch burning long enough to last till then, So when buyers are pitted the question which console to buy they might take that into consideration. This theme of togetherness is a thinly veiled attempt to take the lead next gen.

This idea that Sony would be better off allowing crossplay seemingly benefits everyone in some way EXCEPT Sony.

So yes, while it is something that could be marginally good for consumers, I find it aggravating that so many are treating it like it is owed to them. 

On Backwards Compatibility. I definitely WISH the PS4 had it with PS3. I have a ridiculous backlog of games for that system and it would have been nice to still have access to them. Yet, if you look at it historically BC has traditionally been used to make the transition to the newer console easier. The quality and quantity of games on a new console is scarce but when you can still play the older games on it it makes the wait for newer games more bearable.  Knowing that PS4 did not have the crutch of BC to really rely on, there are actually a ton of games that I really like from this gen. I have maybe twice as many games this gen as last gen and its not even over yet. With the wealth of new games I could care less about not having BC now. I kept my PS3 for the option of going back and playing that stuff but I now find that my backlog for PS4 is so extensive I will likely never get back to those. Now to look at Xbox One, of whom does offer BC, that is great. Yet I swear Xbox fans often talk about it like its the only thing that matters. The Xbox One has seemingly never graduated from the older BC games and instead has doubled down on the Nostalgia induced from it without offering the quality of newer games Sony is. Like what a sad reality when your best selling game for a month is one from previous hardware, not the new one. 

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

shikamaru317 said:
Ugh, please drop this guy Sony, he is awful.

He's just a suit that is out of touch with gamers in general, imo.

I don't really care about cross play, i hardly do online gaming as it is. I really do like how honest sony is about cross play.

forevercloud3000 said:
Azzanation said:
What puzzles me on this topic is the contradictions and inconsistency of the gamers.
They complained last gen when MS didn't want to provide Cross Play support and now that the industry has turned around and all companies are dipping there toes in it, even Nintendo, Sony decides to throw it in everyone's face and say we wont be part of it because we are the top selling console, even worse claiming a better experience.. This is Fortnite, not some 1st party big AAA exclusive. Fortnite wont play any better with or without cross play (Hence Sony's BS response)

As a gamer, why is this a bad thing? How does it affect the PlayStation gamers? Do they not know there are many gamers with multiple systems, there are actually gamers without PS4s. I don't get why some gamers don't want this, okay that's fine, you don't need to care about it BUT to say there with Sony on this is a sad reason for a company to get away with this anti consumer practice. Same goes for BC, many on this site also stuck up for Sony with the lack of BC on PS4.. Why? It mind baffles me. Cross Play extends the life of a product. It puts friends togethers that own different consoles.

What's even worse is to think if this was MS PR, how would the exact same few hating on the cross play feature react if MS was the one not Sony saying this?
When I grew up, this was all but a dream in the 90s, to see companies playing together increasing our own experiences, todays modern gamers are so spoilt for choice and throw down the options when basically we can get them for free that doesn't hurt anyone. I guess greed for a company is more important than the actual fun of the business.

During the PS360 Era I did not perceive much of a fuss or backlash for MS choosing to turn down Crossplay. Sure, everyone acknowledged it could be beneficial but the conversation quickly was discarded. Like its just mind boggling that the Studio who basically invented Crossplay and offered to open doors between them and their competitors is now being ridiculed and torn down because after being turned down they have rescinded the offer. Like honestly, it was a sound business decision for Microsoft then just as it is now for Sony. Crossplay is a feature that pretty much only benefits the losers on the business side. Business do not  usually extend benefits to consumers unless it is mutually beneficial financially. Like what is the real loss for Sony if they don't offer Crossplay? The 80 million something PS4 owners are now going to turn around and sell their systems to buy one of their competitors that don't even come up to their current userbase combined? Is Crossplay suppose to appeal and encourage more people to buy a PS4 somehow? 

Also note, I feel like the hyperbole of Sony's stance in this is actually a facade to bring them down and tarnish their current standing. Microsoft for one looooooves to bring up Crossplay in conversation because is casts a negative light on Sony and makes them look like the bad guy. Especially as we inch closer to Next Gen, MS is definitely hoping they can keep this torch burning long enough to last till then, So when buyers are pitted the question which console to buy they might take that into consideration. This theme of togetherness is a thinly veiled attempt to take the lead next gen.

This idea that Sony would be better off allowing crossplay seemingly benefits everyone in some way EXCEPT Sony.

So yes, while it is something that could be marginally good for consumers, I find it aggravating that so many are treating it like it is owed to them. 

On Backwards Compatibility. I definitely WISH the PS4 had it with PS3. I have a ridiculous backlog of games for that system and it would have been nice to still have access to them. Yet, if you look at it historically BC has traditionally been used to make the transition to the newer console easier. The quality and quantity of games on a new console is scarce but when you can still play the older games on it it makes the wait for newer games more bearable.  Knowing that PS4 did not have the crutch of BC to really rely on, there are actually a ton of games that I really like from this gen. I have maybe twice as many games this gen as last gen and its not even over yet. With the wealth of new games I could care less about not having BC now. I kept my PS3 for the option of going back and playing that stuff but I now find that my backlog for PS4 is so extensive I will likely never get back to those. Now to look at Xbox One, of whom does offer BC, that is great. Yet I swear Xbox fans often talk about it like its the only thing that matters. The Xbox One has seemingly never graduated from the older BC games and instead has doubled down on the Nostalgia induced from it without offering the quality of newer games Sony is. Like what a sad reality when your best selling game for a month is one from previous hardware, not the new one. 

I don't dabble in the "console warz" and it's semantics. However, I do definitely agree (at least how I personally feel) that MS is just trying to make Sony look bad for them not wanting to do crossplay. Although I see the gamers benefiting from this immensely, I also see the business side.

I do have to say that I think Sony is just refusing because they tried it years ago and MS refused...so now that the tables have turned Sony wants to pay MS back. I wish things were much simpler where everyone wins. I know...pipe dreams!

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
Azzanation said:

That was lovely. I think most of what needs to said about crossplay in general is contained within it. The only actual issue is that of Fortnite accounts being locked to the Sony ecosystem. Which, and I don't know if anybody knows this, but......*looks around*......I heard, down by the docks, that Epic plays a role in that too. It sucks though, no doubt. Won't try to defend that one.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 02 September 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Wait, crossplay with iOS is a-ok, but letting xbox, let alone Nintendo, in on the fun would just sully the experience?
Playstation is settin themselves up for a bg fall next gen if they continue on with this arrogance.

Amazing. And people are defending this shit. Simply amazing, the depths people will sink to for their brands.

Protip, arrogance in the gaming industry always ends badly eventually. PS2 made Sony arrogant, and it cost them dearly when PS3 released. Microsoft got arrogant after the 360 and Kinect, and made an always online built in DRM nightmare with a $100 privacy-concern-raising brick attached forcibly attached, and they never really recovered. Nintendo got arrogant after their runaway success with DS and Wii and made an overpriced DS successor that was overpriced for no reason, and an underpowered home console that couldn't be powered up without massively overpricing the system because it had a tablet attached that made the system difficult for 3rd parties to develop for, and then on top of it marketed the thing in the stupidest way possible making people think it was a $350 Wii add on, and they fell the hardest.

Nintendo learned their lesson. Microsoft took a little while but they seem to have learned their lesson. Sony seemed to learn their lesson, but now it's looking like they didn't at all. They just got lucky because Microsoft was even more arrogant at the beginning of the gen and Sony just took advantage of that and built an insurmountable lead, and now they think that was all their doing, when it was actually Microsoft's failure. Gen 9 will be interesting. With Microsoft still humbled by recent wounds, and Nintendo not competing directly, I can already see Sony having a horrible, arrogant reveal and Microsoft taking the lead for a gen, and I mean truly taking a lead, not a virtual tie. And since next gen might be the last gen, they might keep that lead forever, or at least until traditional home console experiences fade from popularity.

COKTOE said:
forevercloud3000 said:

That was lovely. 

I don't even know why he cares since he claims to be PC so much.

Unless...

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
COKTOE said:

That was lovely. 

I don't even know why he cares since he claims to be PC so much.

Unless...

What's that you have running through your head Azuren? You think forvercloud is secretly Phil Fish? Spill the beans!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."