By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation hits 80m+ monthly active users!

thismeintiel said:
Farsala said:
Its interesting that Sony is using MS words in their PR now. I guess it just sounds too good.

They just started using it because MS tired to use it as good PR, but, more importantly, tried to claim they had the #1 gaming network because of their MAU.  Pretty arrogant of them, since they didn't really know other companies' numbers.  I guess they figured since it included 360, XBO, and Windows, it would be the largest.  Sony then released their numbers, which instantly disproved that claim.

I think Sony have been doing this since the ps3 days just never as frequently as MS. it's just lately Microsoft have been obsessed with this metric in an attempt to make them look better then they really are. 

This gen I think Sony have the ability to hit 40m+ psplus subs. Next gen potentially 50m if the ps5 is a success and they make it necessary for F2P games to require plus. Last gen Microsoft gained additional revenue over Sony for requiring gold when Sony gave online for free. This gen they'd be benefitting again from all the people who online play online games like Fortnite. Sony next gen might want to up their subs so all online gaming will require ps plus. 50m+ subs a year surely the target which is roughly 3BN in revenue a year. Sony have the golden goose. 

Around the Network

Good number. But its just that a number. This pretty much means every active PSN account. Even thoe people that have 3-4 accounts that they check weekly. All you have to to do be active is sgn in.

The real important number though is PS+ sbscriptions, which by now should be well over 35M.

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:

Just to complement KBG29 one of the reasons for the 3Gb of RAM on the OS is to have the share function that is constantly saving 15 min of video 

So Sony intentionally hamstrung the PS4? Those bastards!

Don't hold me to this since I'm to lazy to check but isn't the share function on a separate chip with it's own memory.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

They don't count people who pirate and jail break their consoles.

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:

Just to complement KBG29 one of the reasons for the 3Gb of RAM on the OS is to have the share function that is constantly saving 15 min of video 

No, they made design choices.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Good number. But its just that a number. This pretty much means every active PSN account. Even thoe people that have 3-4 accounts that they check weekly. All you have to to do be active is sgn in.

The real important number though is PS+ sbscriptions, which by now should be well over 35M.

We know it is about 35M and probably will be over 40M by Xmas.

And considering there are 80M+ PS4 sold, these 80M active users shouldn't be much regarding double counts.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Intrinsic said:

We know it is about 35M and probably will be over 40M by Xmas.

And considering there are 80M+ PS4 sold, these 80M active users shouldn't be much regarding double counts.

40m wow. Sony be bringing in about 2.5BN a year from ps plus. No wonder they can afford to give us destiny 2.

KBG29 said:
 They have just as much man power as Apple, Microsoft, and Google. 

Uhhh..... not even close.  Apple, MS, and Google dwarf Sony in just about every way.  

With that said, Sony certainly does have a solid brand reputation.  They've also taken steps to improve their financial situation so that they can innovate and compete with the those guys in a couple categories.  In gaming, they're the big boy.  And, that's great.  But, equating them with Apple, MS, and Google is about as accurate as grouping Gamestop with Walmart and Amazon.  

mjk45 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Don't hold me to this since I'm to lazy to check but isn't the share function on a separate chip with it's own memory.

No clue, yet you can set it to record 60 minutes all the time. And at 1080p on the pro. That's quite a bit of memory. I assume it reserves space on the HDD and simply overwrites it on a loop. Pretty wasteful use of memory otherwise. "Video clip saved" only takes a second, no way it saves 60 minutes of video that fast. It was already on the HDD is my guess.

VAMatt said:
KBG29 said:
 They have just as much man power as Apple, Microsoft, and Google. 

Uhhh..... not even close.  Apple, MS, and Google dwarf Sony in just about every way.  

With that said, Sony certainly does have a solid brand reputation.  They've also taken steps to improve their financial situation so that they can innovate and compete with the those guys in a couple categories.  In gaming, they're the big boy.  And, that's great.  But, equating them with Apple, MS, and Google is about as accurate as grouping Gamestop with Walmart and Amazon.  

Market Cap Sony is no where close, but employment count they are right in line with Apple and MS around 130,000 each, Alphabet only has about 80,000 employees. Sony just has piss pore management of those 130,000 employees.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL