By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation hits 80m+ monthly active users!

flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:

This thread suggests 80M MAU doesn't it? XBL MAU was like 35M last reported we heard on VGC.

Last I remember from Xbox reporting MAU was about 35M not 59M.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-live-hits-59-million-monthly-active-users-fy18-q3

They count PC/Tablets ect that use Windows store in that as well right?
Plus Xb360 + Xbox 1 (& slim, X) right?

Where as the Playstation numbers are just PS4+PS3.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
flashfire926 said:

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-live-hits-59-million-monthly-active-users-fy18-q3

They count PC/Tablets ect that use Windows store in that as well right?
Plus Xb360 + Xbox 1 (& slim, X) right?

Where as the Playstation numbers are just PS4+PS3.

I know. That's why I approximated xbox consoles only to be at ~40 million mau in my previous post.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

potato_hamster said:
KBG29 said:
I guess if anything they have maintained. Hopefully they can grow the numbers, and increase the reach of their OS and Store Front.

A quick search shows Android at 2+ Billion, iOS at 1.3+ Billion, Windows 10 600+ Million, and Xbox One 59+ Million.

Sony is not a long ways ahead of XBO, but they have a long way to go to reaching mass market. Getting their OS and Store Front on their Phones and TVs would be a huge leap in the right direction. All Sony products should be running their OS, and the X,O, Square, Triangle, R1, R2, R3, L1, L2, L3 should be standard functions on all Sony devices. A standard language that allows anyone to pick up any Sony device and know exactly how to operate it.

They have a built a great foundation with PS4, now they just need to captialize on it. They have all the assets to see massive growth. They have just as much man power as Apple, Microsoft, and Google. Now they just need to utilize it correctly.

Explain to me how having a television running a bloated OS (for a TV) and employs a control scheme that makes absolutely no sense in any other setting other than a gaming one. All that would do is make their TVS even more expensive (since you know, it takes more power to run an OS as resource hungry as the PS4's OS), and much more confusing to users.

"I just wanted to skip the commercials in my DVR'd show, and instead of a skip button it wants me to press... R2? Where's R2? Why isn't there a skip button like there is on every other brand of TV?"

See the reason Apple gets away with pushing its own user interface and control scheme is because it's intuitive. It works in a way that makes sense. Want to delete a file? Drag it to the trash can. Simple.  Pressing "R2" to skip ahead in a TV show only makes sense when you're including DVD playback functionality in a PS2 that only ships with a Dual Shock 2 controller. It certainly doesn't make any sense at all in a smart TV.

Sony Bravia's run an even more bloated OS in Android, TV, and they are by the absolute worst TV expereince on the market. I have two Sony TV's with Android, and both of them run like absolute garbage, even the $10,000 XBR75Z9D. It is nothing but lag, app crashes, and the OS completely locking up on both devices. When it happened with my smaller TV, I actually took it back for an exchange, and the same thing happened wih the exchanged model. I thought when I bought the Z9D, it would be better, but it is still the same mess. 

As for the control scheme, it just comes down to a unified language across all devices. Sony already has Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow buttons on there controllers. It would make much more sense to just make those X,O, Triangle, and Square. They don't have to get rid of the > and >> buttons, they can make them >/R1 and >>/R2, to at least keep consistant design across their products.

As for price, it would add very little cost, and Sony could keep prices in place. Any loss of profit margin would be made up many times over with people using their OS and Store Front.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:

This thread suggests 80M MAU doesn't it? XBL MAU was like 35M last reported we heard on VGC.

Last I remember from Xbox reporting MAU was about 35M not 59M.

Thanks man, always better to run on more updated and truthfull/precise info.

So about 2:1 MAU which is similar to sales and it makes sense. Probably also have something close to it on PS+ vs XBL. For PS4 we know to be about 40M, so 20M XBL seems reasonable

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah but that's PSN as a whole, not exclusively PS4. So it will also include people still on PS3 (or even Vita).

Likewise the Xbox one would also include Xbox 360 users as well as Xbox One.

Yeah, not that this long after PS4 launch they are that big impact, but you are right. In XBL MAU there is also all the computer numbers and Switch Minecraft put together on their MAU (or have they removed switch from it?).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

KBG29 said:
potato_hamster said:

Explain to me how having a television running a bloated OS (for a TV) and employs a control scheme that makes absolutely no sense in any other setting other than a gaming one. All that would do is make their TVS even more expensive (since you know, it takes more power to run an OS as resource hungry as the PS4's OS), and much more confusing to users.

"I just wanted to skip the commercials in my DVR'd show, and instead of a skip button it wants me to press... R2? Where's R2? Why isn't there a skip button like there is on every other brand of TV?"

See the reason Apple gets away with pushing its own user interface and control scheme is because it's intuitive. It works in a way that makes sense. Want to delete a file? Drag it to the trash can. Simple.  Pressing "R2" to skip ahead in a TV show only makes sense when you're including DVD playback functionality in a PS2 that only ships with a Dual Shock 2 controller. It certainly doesn't make any sense at all in a smart TV.

Sony Bravia's run an even more bloated OS in Android, TV, and they are by the absolute worst TV expereince on the market. I have two Sony TV's with Android, and both of them run like absolute garbage, even the $10,000 XBR75Z9D. It is nothing but lag, app crashes, and the OS completely locking up on both devices. When it happened with my smaller TV, I actually took it back for an exchange, and the same thing happened wih the exchanged model. I thought when I bought the Z9D, it would be better, but it is still the same mess. 

As for the control scheme, it just comes down to a unified language across all devices. Sony already has Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow buttons on there controllers. It would make much more sense to just make those X,O, Triangle, and Square. They don't have to get rid of the > and >> buttons, they can make them >/R1 and >>/R2, to at least keep consistant design across their products.

As for price, it would add very little cost, and Sony could keep prices in place. Any loss of profit margin would be made up many times over with people using their OS and Store Front.

Source that PS4's OS is more bloated than Android TV? Interesting that they Switched to Android TV over their own OS they were running on TVs. It's probably because Android TV has far, far , far better app support,  and more advanced features and Sony can just take a cut of the sales through their devices instead of spending to support their own shit. So if anything, Sony is already heading in the opposite direction of what you want them to do. They're going further away from using their own OSs on devices that don't really need it and lowering the costs of making devices - not increasing them.

You do realize PS4's OS currently requires 3.5 GB of RAM alone, right? What are the odds your TV has 4 gigs of RAM available for the OS? Approximately none. Do you know why your TVs run their android OS  like garbage? Because smart TVs have the bare minimum processing power, and this Android OS probably requires more resources than their old TV OS did. Now you want to add to those requirements. What were you saying about the costs being minimum?

And again, why would they expect significant increases in revenue? The PS4 has what? A dozen apps made for it? Far less than the old Sony OS did, which again is minuscule compared to the android app store. They couldn't get devs to support their existing TV app store. They can't even get developers to support their PS4 OS. Why suddenly would these app makers suddenly support the PS4 OS better if it was running on TVs?

The Red/Blue/Green/Yellow buttons are Blu-ray standards, not Sony standards. Try again. Check out this Panasonic blu-ray remote if you don't believe me.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1QH7sifxNTKJjy0Fjq6x6yVXaY.jpg?size=169281&height=1000&width=1000&hash=a235f8fda00ac66c4304e3f032dc8bf2

Adding PS controller buttons to other remotes is one of the dumbest, most ridiculous ideas you've had yet. Why does this keep getting wilder and wilder as time goes on despite Sony clearly going in another direction?

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
RaptorChrist said:

Earlier in this thread I posted that I estimated PS Plus subs to be at 15 million max.

Apparently they managed 31.5 million in December alone. Holy freaking crap!

If the average subscriber pays $8 per month for the service (no idea what the actual number is), that's 252 million dollars per year JUST on subscriptions fees.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/02/02/ps-plus-subscribers-numbers-hit-31-5-million/

Based on an average of $8 a month (seems pretty high though), that would actually be about $3 billion a year based on 31.5m subscribers

There seems to be a lot of confusion here, beginning  with the 31.5 million in Dec alone. The alone part is what adds to the confusion since there is no way they sold 31.5 million subs in a month , the next bit of confusion is  giving a monthly figure 252 million as a yearly figure if you used the $8 per month to calculate the yearly income from 31.5 million subs you would  do what Ka-pi96 did and multiply $96 by the 31.5 million giving  you a sum over 3 billion, my advice double check your numbers even if they are just estimates.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Gonna hand it to Sony, they certainly have destroyed everyone in the 8th generation.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

potato_hamster said:

Source that PS4's OS is more bloated than Android TV? Interesting that they Switched to Android TV over their own OS they were running on TVs. It's probably because Android TV has far, far , far better app support,  and more advanced features and Sony can just take a cut of the sales through their devices instead of spending to support their own shit. So if anything, Sony is already heading in the opposite direction of what you want them to do. They're going further away from using their own OSs on devices that don't really need it and lowering the costs of making devices - not increasing them.

You do realize PS4's OS currently requires 3.5 GB of RAM alone, right? What are the odds your TV has 4 gigs of RAM available for the OS? Approximately none. Do you know why your TVs run their android OS  like garbage? Because smart TVs have the bare minimum processing power, and this Android OS probably requires more resources than their old TV OS did. Now you want to add to those requirements. What were you saying about the costs being minimum?

And again, why would they expect significant increases in revenue? The PS4 has what? A dozen apps made for it? Far less than the old Sony OS did, which again is minuscule compared to the android app store. They couldn't get devs to support their existing TV app store. They can't even get developers to support their PS4 OS. Why suddenly would these app makers suddenly support the PS4 OS better if it was running on TVs?

The Red/Blue/Green/Yellow buttons are Blu-ray standards, not Sony standards. Try again. Check out this Panasonic blu-ray remote if you don't believe me.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1QH7sifxNTKJjy0Fjq6x6yVXaY.jpg?size=169281&height=1000&width=1000&hash=a235f8fda00ac66c4304e3f032dc8bf2

Adding PS controller buttons to other remotes is one of the dumbest, most ridiculous ideas you've had yet. Why does this keep getting wilder and wilder as time goes on despite Sony clearly going in another direction?

Did not know the buttons related to Blu-ray. Thank you for informing me.

According to DisplaySpecifications: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/2c7061a

The Z9D only has 2GB of RAM, and 16GB of built in storage. It runs a MediaTek SOC. 

I know they have moved in the opposite direct, but it does not mean it is good business. Sales dropped from 14 Million TVs to 12 Million TVs the year they went from their OS to Android. They are expecting sales to drop to 11 Million this year. 

The problem with their old OS, just like Microsoft had with Windows Phone, is that it was yet another seperate platform developers had to support. By unifiing their devices behind a single OS, they would reduce redundency and cost  of running multiple different platforms. They would also offer a larger unified userbase, that developers can build one app for, that works across all Sony products. By having unified  controls across all of their devices, it would yet again simplify things for developers.

By running their own OS, and having users signed into an SIE account instead of a Google Account, they are automatically making more with their consumer using their Store. With close integration to PlayStation Vue, PlayStation Video, and PlayStation Now they would be able to obtain more subscriptions and sales through those services yet again increase revenue and profits. 

As far as hardware costs go, it is not like the PlayStation OS is power hungry. It actually uses 3GB of RAM, it ran on (2) 1.6GHz Jaguar cores at launch, but was reduced to (1) core in 2015. 

https://www.dualshockers.com/naughty-dog-explains-ps4s-cpu-memory-and-more-in-detail-and-how-they-can-make-them-run-really-fast/

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/218659-sony-unlocks-the-ps4s-seventh-cpu-core-but-will-games-benefit

So Sony does not even need a chip the size and cost of the PS4 Slim APU to have the OS on their TVs. Honestly, I think the best course of action would be to make the switch to their own OS when they make the move to Ryzen based soulutions. The same chip could be used for a new PS Handheld and their TVs helping reduce cost even further.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

potato_hamster said:
KBG29 said:

Just to complement KBG29 one of the reasons for the 3Gb of RAM on the OS is to have the share function that is constantly saving 15 min of video 

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I'm included in that number... I actively watch Netflix on my PS4 between gaming sessions on my Switch and retro consoles :D

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7