By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch's home menu takes up LESS than 200 KB

As it turns out, Nintendo's focus on OS Speed is the reason they went so light on system features (compared to Wii U and 3DS), and why they didn't even include Home menu music.

The inspiration was from how fast the NES used to get people playing games so they shaped the OS design philosophy around that idea.

Referenced Info:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/the_switchs_home_menu_uses_less_than_200_kb_of_resources_for_super-fast_load_times

Around the Network

I certainly love its speed but it would be nice to give people options. I wish I could put up wallpapers for example.

And it’s better for it. Obviously I don’t mind a bit of music but I don’t need all that litter on my console. However, being able to download a browser, Youtube and Netflix for those who want it would be nice.

200kb is insane though.

That's... interesting. I wonder if that includes everything (code, graphics) or just more apparent assets (graphics etc.).

I like the completely uncomplicated menu. It serves it purpose well.

Around the Network

As a minimalist this makes me all sorts of happy.

No need, either, for custom options and all sort of other illusions to make you feel you are not consuming a mass-produced electronic.

melbye said:
I like the completely uncomplicated menu. It serves it purpose well.

I very much do as well.

:)

As others have said, it would be nice to have more organization options (folders, hide icons, etc.) as I think that could improve use speed even more.

Optional home menu music would be nice just as a small touch. Backing up saves to the micro SD card would also be nice, but alas...

And it's still a sizeable portion of its storage...

Nah, I like the menu, sleek and simple, as it should be. I find Xbox menus to be especially clunky in comparison.

That's possibly the best part about the Switch. Obviously, it needs more features and apps in the future. But it's non-flashy, minimalistic, and straight-to-the-point no-nonsense OS is a much needed change of pace from the other console's trying to be omni-present, all-purpose entertainment and social hubs. It feels like a modern retro console, which is a unique and refreshing feeling.

I find that hard to believe. Even without assets, 200KB is just way too little. That said, I love how minimalistic Switch's UI is. It's so not like Nintendo, thank God.