By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you believe in God? Why/Why not?

Do you believe in any god?

Yes 63 36.21%

No 111 63.79%

Total:174

I believe that God and Religion in general was a reasonable explanation for weird shit going on thousands of years ago where they had no other reasonable answers. Weather and the elements. Natural events. Life and death. Etc. God and Religion is very much a creation of uncivilized times and in ways, it remains very uncivilized. I don't believe in God. I think God is a figure made up by ignorant people to explain things they were unable to explain and it's being twisted in 2018 by those in power to remain in power and keep a form of control over those who know no better.

Around the Network

I believe in an entity that is above all time and space and a I've all dimensions and the creator of everything, I cannot fathom a causeless existence. The one who doesn't have a beginning or an end is the ultimate cause and I believe a Godless or a poly-God existence is impossible. Only the one. It's just my logical and rational conclusion from all angles I inspect. And I am studying physics so the weird stereotype is wrong

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Yes, I believe in God
Why? because SSBM exists.

The actual reason though is because the way I interpret the world around me, I just feel like their is a God.

No, I don't believe in God, but I did in the early years. I stopped, because I don't want to believe in the particular god that people tell me I have to do so. So, I stopped and went on a journey to find out if I can find my own reason to believe in one. I'm still an atheist.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Carl said:
I believe that God and Religion in general was a reasonable explanation for weird shit going on thousands of years ago where they had no other reasonable answers. Weather and the elements. Natural events. Life and death. Etc. God and Religion is very much a creation of uncivilized times and in ways, it remains very uncivilized. I don't believe in God. I think God is a figure made up by ignorant people to explain things they were unable to explain and it's being twisted in 2018 by those in power to remain in power and keep a form of control over those who know no better.

You summarize my exact same thought on the subject.

Around the Network
Carl said:

People still use this reasoning for believing in a god, today. Hence the arguments from ignorance.  

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

JWeinCom said:
estebxx said:

I wanna believe it's true.

Is it true? I don't know but i want too believe in it, thats what faith is.

If you don't care about truth that's certainly your right.  I don't think it's a particularly good way to go about things.

Kalkano said:

You don't understand what you're talking about.  The only slavery the Bible talks about is not the same type of slavery that is ingrained into our brains (because it was the most recent).  It is not the same as what we did to African Americans a couple hundred years ago.  "Slavery" in the Bible is not even close to the same thing.

Have you ever seen a TV Show/Movie where people go out to eat, and when it comes time to pay, they realize they don't have any money?  Sometimes they dine and dash.  Other times, they work it off.  They may go in the back and wash dishes for a while until the debt is paid.  THAT'S the "slavery" in the Bible.  It is a repayment of debt.  It is NOT forced ownership and "we can do whatever the hell we want to you, because you're inferior".

What you are referring to are the rules for owning Hebrews as slaves.  From Deuteronomy,

“If your brother, a Hebrew man or a Hebrew woman, is sold to you, he shall serve you six years, and in the seventh year you shall let him go free from you. And when you let him go free from you, you shall not let him go empty-handed. You shall furnish him liberally out of your flock, out of your threshing floor, and out of your winepress. As the Lord your God has blessed you, you shall give to him. You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God redeemed you; therefore I command you this today."

Then, there are separate laws for owning non-jews.

From Leviticus,

"As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly."

These are people who do not owe any debt to the owner (they are bought from strangers).   They are property that can be passed down and are too be owned forever.  

Oh, and you're allowed to beat them, as long as they don't die immediately.
From Exodus,
“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money."

If you are suggesting this is just like "whoops I left my wallet at home, how about I do the dishes" you were either ignorant of what the Bible said, or lying.

You pretty much proved my point.  It says "buy them".  It does not say "kidnap them and force them into slavery".  You are taking the debt onto yourself.

Obviously you're just going to believe what you want.  So, whatever, I'm done.

Currently Replaying: Baten Kaitos

Eagle367 said:
I believe in an entity that is above all time and space and a I've all dimensions and the creator of everything, I cannot fathom a causeless existence. The one who doesn't have a beginning or an end is the ultimate cause and I believe a Godless or a poly-God existence is impossible. Only the one. It's just my logical and rational conclusion from all angles I inspect. And I am studying physics so the weird stereotype is wrong

Why does a person have to commit to either the position that existence is causeless, or that a god exists?  Why are those the only two options, and even if I do accept those are the two options, why would I have to accept either?

Shaqazooloo0 said:
Yes, I believe in God
Why? because SSBM exists.

The actual reason though is because the way I interpret the world around me, I just feel like their is a God.

Based on our experiences of the world, it would be pretty reasonable to assume the Earth is static, at the center of the universe, and flat.  These are the most intuitive positions without studying the matter.  They're also wrong of course.  Our intuition (just feeling something) is usually a good way to go about things, but can mislead us.

JWeinCom said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Upon my last deep investigation, the statistical probability of God existing is 67%.

https://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2010/08/the-probability-of-god

While this is obviously ever changing, I have no idea why anyone would think there is a stronger chance there is no God. Especially considering we are on a video game forum... ...a place which basically gives light, understanding, and reverence to the process, in a microcosm, of how God would actually work.

Bayesian analysis is kind of wonky.  It has its uses, but existential claims are not one of them.  Basically you are allowed to plug in whatever variables you want into the premises and assign whatever likelyhood you want to them.  (For example I could say the existence of smores is 1,000 times more likely if god exists).  

There's no real hard data behind it, so whatever answer you get is subjective.  Everyone will get a different outcome.

Well of course it is a little, "wonky" because it is statistics. I mean, no statistic is proven fact, just a chance against odds. So, I am not preaching there is a God based on my last research. I am explaining why I believe there is a God and using statistics is one of those reasons. It may be the main one, but still, I have a belief and I have a reason to believe. However, we are on a video game website speaking about a Creator and the, "irony"  that people would deny a Creator on a site based around the exact way a Creator works is not lost on me. Sometimes we deny even though the reasoning and logic may be literally right in front of our face.

Last edited by GhaudePhaede010 - on 24 August 2018

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Kalkano said:
JWeinCom said:

If you don't care about truth that's certainly your right.  I don't think it's a particularly good way to go about things.

What you are referring to are the rules for owning Hebrews as slaves.  From Deuteronomy,

“If your brother, a Hebrew man or a Hebrew woman, is sold to you, he shall serve you six years, and in the seventh year you shall let him go free from you. And when you let him go free from you, you shall not let him go empty-handed. You shall furnish him liberally out of your flock, out of your threshing floor, and out of your winepress. As the Lord your God has blessed you, you shall give to him. You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God redeemed you; therefore I command you this today."

Then, there are separate laws for owning non-jews.

From Leviticus,

"As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly."

These are people who do not owe any debt to the owner (they are bought from strangers).   They are property that can be passed down and are too be owned forever.  

Oh, and you're allowed to beat them, as long as they don't die immediately.
From Exodus,
“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money."

If you are suggesting this is just like "whoops I left my wallet at home, how about I do the dishes" you were either ignorant of what the Bible said, or lying.

You pretty much proved my point.  It says "buy them".  It does not say "kidnap them and force them into slavery".  You are taking the debt onto yourself.

Obviously you're just going to believe what you want.  So, whatever, I'm done.

Ummmm...  yes.  I am going to believe that buying a person and keeping them for the rest of their lives is slavery.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that is the definition of slavery.  I'm pretty sure "you may make slaves of them" means ummm... you can make slaves of them.  

I'm not sure how you concluded that I am close-minded, and I frankly resent the accusation.  If you can explain to me how I misinterpreted this, or how buying someone and keeping them forever is not slavery, I'd be open to that explanation.  Of course, I suspect that you don't really have a good explanation and have accused me of intellectual dishonesty to avoid that.